COVID-19

Indabuff

The hospital has officially started cutting hours in all departments even the ED!!! they're losing money like crazy since they are so far out of the pandemic zone. Things really need to get back to normal soon, all we hear about are the hot spots but layoffs, furloughs and etc are a big deal to many health care workers that rely on their jobs. I'm sure that isn't being televised but they'll keep throwing the BS hero word around while handing you a pink slip. Just frustrated by some friends and colleagues that have been screwed over by the hospital systems in the face of this.

I've never fully understood how different hospital positions work.  I just figured most of the staffing was full time permanent positions.  Guess there are a lot more moving parts than I thought, it's unfortunate. 

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

I've never fully understood how different hospital positions work.  I just figured most of the staffing was full time permanent positions.  Guess there are a lot more moving parts than I thought, it's unfortunate. 

Oh definitley, for example, I am an independent contractor but technically with a group. The nurses are in a union, but only at select hospitals, there are several subcontracted medical specialty groups, then there are actual hospital employees as well. Up until recently there were a couple of primary care docs that did their own admission and etc, but I think that is done. It used to be much simpler 

9 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The hospital has officially started cutting hours in all departments even the ED!!! they're losing money like crazy since they are so far out of the pandemic zone. Things really need to get back to normal soon, all we hear about are the hot spots but layoffs, furloughs and etc are a big deal to many health care workers that rely on their jobs. I'm sure that isn't being televised but they'll keep throwing the BS hero word around while handing you a pink slip. Just frustrated by some friends and colleagues that have been screwed over by the hospital systems in the face of this.

Tough times. My wife is a NP with a large pediatric practice. About two weeks in they had to furlough more than half the office and nursing staff. Normally she would see 25+ patients a day, now she sees 5-10. They are now asking a lot of docs to cut their hours. My wife was already part time so she is keeping her hours, but depending on how much longer this goes it could get dicey for her.

8 minutes ago, Claude_Verret said:

Tough times. My wife is a NP with a large pediatric practice. About two weeks in they had to furlough more than half the office and nursing staff. Normally she would see 25+ patients a day, now she sees 5-10. They are now asking a lot of docs to cut their hours. My wife was already part time so she is keeping her hours, but depending on how much longer this goes it could get dicey for her.

I'm at the point where the curve has flattened enough, let's get these people back to work, we now have trillions of dollars to make up from stimulus funds that won't mean anything if we don't get things up and running again. The health care system can handle it. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm at the point where the curve has flattened enough, let's get these people back to work, we now have trillions of dollars to make up from stimulus funds that won't mean anything if we don't get things up and running again. The health care system can handle it. 

We can still use docs and nurses downstate, lots of healthworkers out sick.

Also places like FLA, GA and Tx gonna get hit in next couple weeks.

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

A lot, maybe most, of the economy that had to shut down relies on a customer or client who is willing to walk back in the doors. Without safeguards, confidence and a lot more testing, that's going to be a tough sell. Whatever metric you want to use, it makes sense to see that bad things have been declining for a while (White House put out a 14-day period) before you ease into re-opening. Anybody up for getting a tattoo in Atlanta?

• Sad 1

Another set of pics from my hospital: 

Check out this gallery from lohud:

St. Joseph's Yonkers ER staff saving lives in COVID-19 hotspot

https://www.lohud.com/picture-gallery/news/coronavirus/2020/04/22/st-joseph-yonkers-er-staff-covid-19-hotspot/3003141001/

Edited by North Buffalo

Complicating the re-opening issue:

Across the Atlantic in Savannah, Georgia, where Gov. Brian Kemp announced that gyms and salons can reopen this week, gym owner Mark Lebos said it would be professional negligence to do so right now.

“We are not going to be a vector of death and suffering,” he said.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Complicating the re-opening issue:

The federal government should be able to tell any state they are able to reopen. States should be able to tell any municipalities they can reopen. Everyone should be able to tell the powers above them they will not open. Federalism! 

Just out of curiosity, as I honestly don't know.... How are other countries handling this, I canceled my big trip next month, mainly because the borders are closed and there was a mandatory 14 day quarantine in govt facilities for US citizens that do fly in. No thank you on that front. Are we leading the way in what other countries will do still? 

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

The federal government should be able to tell any state they are able to reopen. States should be able to tell any municipalities they can reopen. Everyone should be able to tell the powers above them they will not open. Federalism! 

Not in Georgia, where the governor said no county or municipality could enact stricter guidelines than he was issuing. Of course that's not an issue of federalism.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Not in Georgia, where the governor said no county or municipality could enact stricter guidelines than he was issuing. Of course that's not an issue of federalism.

I missed that, my apologies and you are correct. 

To quote the great Roby, the whole thing is a hound's breakfast — of everything. It's horrifying, and fascinating. We'll be OK, the vast majority of us anyway. We're just stupid animals, remember that. People will look back in 200, 400 years and be absolutely mystified and probably very amused.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Gym closures have been the business closures that have impacted my own life the most compared to pre-coronavirus times. 

That said, they should definitely be one of the last things to open. They're ***** gross 

tenor-2.gif

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Another set of pics from my hospital: 

Check out this gallery from lohud:

St. Joseph's Yonkers ER staff saving lives in COVID-19 hotspot

https://www.lohud.com/picture-gallery/news/coronavirus/2020/04/22/st-joseph-yonkers-er-staff-covid-19-hotspot/3003141001/

Pictures like this should have been circulating mainstream media from the beginning.  People don't tend to grasp the gravity of situations until imagery is presented to them on a silver platter (ie. war photos).  I suppose the counter to this argument would be an avoidance of panic/hysteria but that pretty much happened anyway to a certain degree.  Personally I think the photographic evidence of the seriousness would have done greater good than harm.  What amazes me is how extremely graphic movies are nowadays and these pictures aren't a sliver of what you'd see in the plethora of violent movies rotating through entertainment outlets.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

tenor-2.gif

?

I'm safely rail-thin enough that I can announce that I go to the gym and be immune to the typical (deserved) criticism that comes with it.

I'm 6 feet tall and I got down to 127 pounds at my lowest point. I'm not a swole lunkhead, I'm just trying to not waste away 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

?

I'm safely rail-thin enough that I can announce that I go to the gym and be immune to the typical (deserved) criticism that comes with it.

I'm 6 feet tall and I got down to 127 pounds at my lowest point. I'm not a swole lunkhead, I'm just trying to not waste away 

Good God, man.  You need to eat something very fatty right away.

2 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Pictures like this should have been circulating mainstream media from the beginning.  People don't tend to grasp the gravity of situations until imagery is presented to them on a silver platter (ie. war photos).  I suppose the counter to this argument would be an avoidance of panic/hysteria but that pretty much happened anyway to a certain degree.  Personally I think the photographic evidence of the seriousness would have done greater good than harm.  What amazes me is how extremely graphic movies are nowadays and these pictures aren't a sliver of what you'd see in the plethora of violent movies rotating through entertainment outlets.

Talked to my boss... the photographer and the writer were war correspondents... they just happened to be there when this code was called... and the writers response was he'd never seen anything like it.

My response is we see it often..  at least once a day and as Dr. Leno says often recently up to six ER deaths in one day happen.  A lot like MASH the TV show only this is real.  

Edited by North Buffalo

4 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Talked to my boss... the photographer and the writer were war correspondents... they just happened to be there when this code was called... and the writers response was he'd never seen anything like it.

My response is we see it often..  at least once a day and as Dr. Leno says often recently up to six ER deaths in one day happen.  A lot like MASH the TV show only this is real.  

Hang in there brother and thanks for posting about this.  Sounds like you may have recuperated from what you came down with.  If so glad to hear.  Thanks for all you do.  Keep on keeping on.

• Like (+1) 1