COVID-19

Indabuff

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Internal accounting can be an ugly construct.  As you indicate, those who paid into the system while in NY and then collect later in life while in Florida are really doing nothing more than getting back the share they paid in (in theory).  Whereas those who have lived in Florida all their life are not.  Except, what if they are disproportionately spending elsewhere? After all, money ends up in the government pockets in many ways.

Analyzing one piece of the pie, or even 4 pieces of the pie is dangerous when there are thousands of pieces and the pie is so big you can't make out what is 5 pieces away from you.

I feel like I'm missing something here. And this goes for Neo's "Florida can't" response. We're talking about how the federal income taxes people pay make their way back to the states. There's not a state income tax in FL, but residents of course pay federal income taxes.

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I feel like I'm missing something here. And this goes for Neo's "Florida can't" response. We're talking about how the federal income taxes people pay make their way back to the states. There's not a state income tax in FL, but residents of course pay federal income taxes.

Yes, Florida can’t pay Federal Taxes.  Floridians can and do.  So, Floridians are all square for the hurricanes.

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Yes, Florida can’t pay Federal Taxes.  Floridians can and do.  So, Floridians are all square for the hurricanes.

OK, OK. Anywho, we're back to Trump suggesting that New Yorkers will have to repay the federal government for Covid-19 aid.

Just now, Eleven said:

Then New York can't be expected to "repay," either.

I don’t believe NY should repay if a version of “COVID FEMA” goes its way.  Correct.   Except I’d say New Yorkers, not New York.  States are people, too.

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

OK, OK. Anywho, we're back to Trump suggesting that New Yorkers will have to repay the federal government for Covid-19 aid.

Just said to Eleven ... I disagree with that as much as I do Florida paying for FEMA / Hurricanes.   I have my view on FEMA and hurricanes, by the way.

Edited by Neo

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

There are about 55 or so counties where we don't call ourselves that.

I make it a point to tell people that I'm from Buffalo, not NYC. Quite a world of difference. But I feel like I'm also digressing as this would be a topic for another day and thread.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So anything new about this virus that is ruining the world in which we live. Can't get to the DMV, no traveling, hospitals either over filling or on brink of furloughs, let's keep the politics away from here. 

I don't think we're getting political at the moment but maybe I don't see it.

As for hospitals over-filling:  We're going to run out of beds in WNY, aren't we?

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't think we're getting political at the moment but maybe I don't see it.

As for hospitals over-filling:  We're going to run out of beds in WNY, aren't we?

In NYC sure and maybe the other big cities, but where I'm at mostly, it's been pretty slow, actually slow to the point where they're losing a ton of money. The thing about reimbursements is that they lag 60 days as well so it may not hit home until summer. 

There are only like 30 confirmed cases in the main county I work, granted we test so little it's definitley more, but not bewildering numbers. 

8 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

In NYC sure and maybe the other big cities, but where I'm at mostly, it's been pretty slow, actually slow to the point where they're losing a ton of money. The thing about reimbursements is that they lag 60 days as well so it may not hit home until summer. 

There are only like 30 confirmed cases in the main county I work, granted we test so little it's definitley more, but not bewildering numbers. 

When I type "Erie" into this, I become concerned:  https://www.statnews.com/feature/coronavirus/county-preparedness-scores/?utm_source=STAT+Newsletters&utm_campaign=38bcfbc731-breaking_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8cab1d7961-38bcfbc731-152029413

34 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

“You have shortages but also some greedy bastards who see an opportunity to make more money,” said Jack Riley, the former deputy administrator of the DEA. “The bad guys frequently use situations that affect the national conscience to raise prices.”

Tenets of capitalism are only bad when it is applied to certain industries.  Or only to certain segments of certain industries  Hmmm.....

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Very low scores indeed, based on what, I have no idea. But it also says peak of 4/7 which was 12 days ago. So if we have hit the peak and should theoretically be on the way down, I don't understand how we can be assigned a score considering Erie county was not hit very hard in the grand scheme of everything. 

19 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Very low scores indeed, based on what, I have no idea. But it also says peak of 4/7 which was 12 days ago. So if we have hit the peak and should theoretically be on the way down, I don't understand how we can be assigned a score considering Erie county was not hit very hard in the grand scheme of everything. 

The criteria are explained. Like a lot of modeling and analytics surrounding the pandemic, take it with a grain of salt. The big model out of Washington State is being discredited for its wild fluctuations. Following this pandemic has not made me rethink my opinion of analytics in hockey.

The story is saying that Covid-19 will really hit rural areas later, that it's already in those areas, silently spreading because of not much testing, and the hospitals won't feel it until enough time has passed for people to get really sick. Who knows? It doesn't seem to be the case in our neck of the woods. So far. Fingers crossed.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Keene right now is the center of an anarchist movement that is neither left nor right, but certainly is loony and definitely is not granola-y.  (I actually thought you had written "not" rather than "neat" in your post and thought I was agreeing with you.)

Did not know that... Brattleboro with its cheese factory Ive spent more time in an has a kitchy touristy kinda walking vibe. Also love Sam's sporting goods... good clothes and lots of fishing equipment.

20 hours ago, Ogre said:

With a surgical mask you are protecting others. With N95 you’re protecting yourself. Even if it isn’t the best fitting mask. The idea of the fit test is to have you talking and doing stuff while they apply the indicator. If you smell it then unfiltered air got into your mask. You’re going to get a little leakage just due to the variety of face shapes. I for example have a smaller face but a medium is no good for me because my nose is too big. Just be conscience of that seal to your face and try not to do things that disturb it. Talking, chewing, etc.

Thanks. I'll have to talk quite a bit while wearing it. And I'll have to wear it for 5-8 hours. Is it a practical idea for me?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Thanks. I'll have to talk quite a bit while wearing it. And I'll have to wear it for 5-8 hours. Is it a practical idea for me?

Depends on how close you are to others... and how much they are talking as well... closer you are the less talking.

38 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The criteria are explained. Like a lot of modeling and analytics surrounding the pandemic, take it with a grain of salt. The big model out of Washington State is being discredited for its wild fluctuations. Following this pandemic has not made me rethink my opinion of analytics in hockey.

The story is saying that Covid-19 will really hit rural areas later, that it's already in those areas, silently spreading because of not much testing, and the hospitals won't feel it until enough time has passed for people to get really sick. Who knows? It doesn't seem to be the case in our neck of the woods. So far. Fingers crossed.

Some of my own viewing of this is definitley coming from the eyes of working in an area that is relatively safe, it does make it harder to digest what's really going on as we are sheltered. I do know that the testing hasn't ramped up significantly here and the inclusion criteria for testing are still very involved. 

My wife learned (yesterday, Friday night?) that Florida schools are closed the remainder of the year.  The state may be working a re-opening plan, concurrently.   Our shelter in place guidelines go through April 30.  Her kindergarten Zoom classes have brought me so much joy, day after day.  They will continue.  Twenty or so total goofy goobers, having fun and learning.  The adaptability!   We are a resilient species.  The economic toll will grow this week.   The most vulnerable began to bleed three or four weeks ago.   I see financial distress is moving well into previously stable and employed individuals and families.  We have an important patient who needs the ER and ICU.

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Depends on how close you are to others... and how much they are talking as well... closer you are the less talking.

Thanks but he was referring to not talking so that the respirator would stay in place.

I just cancelled all my flights next month, I had 14 one way flights booked in such a great combination for an involved getaway and most just give credits and not refunds, so I will most certainly lose when I do get to rebook. 

I realize that it's a first world problem and I travel more than most people I know, combined; but it really really sucks that this is the way the world has to be for now.