COVID-19

Indabuff

5 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Breaking news: Flu symptoms added by the CDC. 

Why don't they just say, if you have any symptom at all you have Covid. 

Toe pain, yep you have it;  left knee throbbing, yep quarantine yourself 

Crap, my left knee’s been bugging me lately. I just assumed that since I had surgery on it a few years back and now this drop in physical activity has it acting up. But now you’ve got me worried. Fortunately I just bought some of that foaming bleach for cleaning the shower a couple days ago. I’ll give it a good soak and report back tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

How many people died in January and February before we called it Covid? 

I don't know if that changes things much except to make the number larger. What we're dealing with is in addition to, not in substitute of, "normal" flu deaths. If we want to extend this to the normal flu season then it's probably safe to assume the total will be double that of the normal flu. There's really no way to make the numbers for COVID look trivial.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, darksabre said:

I don't know if that changes things much except to make the number larger. What we're dealing with is in addition to, not in substitute of, "normal" flu deaths. If we want to extend this to the normal flu season then it's probably safe to assume the total will be double that of the normal flu. There's really no way to make the numbers for COVID look trivial.

They're not trivial, it's still a decent amount of the population, I still think that this is a gross overreaction. Look at Sweden, they have kept the country open and people have used minimal social distancing and they're doing well. Their Healthcare system hasn't collapsed and their economy is subsequently not failing. 

We live in a country of skinny jeans, avocodo toast and identifying as whatever we feel like that morning as we wake up and collect govt money. We get offended and scared by everything. It's no surprise this virus has us running around in fear and driving alone in the car with N95 Masks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

They're not trivial, it's still a decent amount of the population, I still think that this is a gross overreaction. Look at Sweden, they have kept the country open and people have used minimal social distancing and they're doing well. Their Healthcare system hasn't collapsed and their economy is subsequently not failing. 

We live in a country of skinny jeans, avocodo toast and identifying as whatever we feel like that morning as we wake up and collect govt money. We get offended and scared by everything. It's no surprise this virus has us running around in fear and driving alone in the car with N95 Masks.

I think this fails to account for the differences between us and Sweden when it comes to healthcare, socioeconomics, workplace dynamics (sick days). I believe Sweden had far greater hospital bed capacity than we do here in the US, which allowed them to easily absorb the extra load from coronavirus cases. They also believe in actually taking care of yourself and others by doing things like taking sick time off from work. And they also take better care of the less fortunate in their populations instead of feeding them into the wood chipper. That all contributes to their better response.

The threat of coronavirus in the US was always related to our garbage healthcare system's complete lack of capacity to handle anything beyond the normal (which you have admitted). Sweden was able to handle this situation because they were prepared to do so. The US could never have been adequately prepared because it is not designed to be.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Yeah sure, the US and China both.  Bunch of wussies.

And get the F off my lawn!

This take (which you have consistently expressed) seems to be completely based on emotion as opposed to scientific information.  It’s honestly surprising for someone in your field.

Edited by Curt

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah sure, the US and China both.  Bunch of wussies.

And get the F off my lawn!

This take (which you have consistently expressed) seems to be completely based on emotion as opposed to scientific information.  It’s honestly surprising for someone in your field.

The fact that I'm in this field has sadly chipped away at me into a person with this take. 

I Iove science, I think it's useful and interesting, but it still has its flaws. We're overpopulated to the point of ruining our air and land resources but let's go ahead and give handouts to people who feel the need to pop out 12 children. And then let's quarantine them all together to make that situation even worse. @darksabrehas it right on the above post, Sweden is "thriving" because they generally are just different than us. 

As I have said before, I'm not going to be on the same plane or see eye to eye with the general population on this subject, and that's OK. Maybe your right and my emotion is getting the better of me, but I won't change my stance that we overreacted to a grave point on this. My hope is the economy can recover, which I'm not sure about. 

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The fact that I'm in this field has sadly chipped away at me into a person with this take. 

I Iove science, I think it's useful and interesting, but it still has its flaws. We're overpopulated to the point of ruining our air and land resources but let's go ahead and give handouts to people who feel the need to pop out 12 children. And then let's quarantine them all together to make that situation even worse. @darksabrehas it right on the above post, Sweden is "thriving" because they generally are just different than us. 

As I have said before, I'm not going to be on the same plane or see eye to eye with the general population on this subject, and that's OK. Maybe your right and my emotion is getting the better of me, but I won't change my stance that we overreacted to a grave point on this. My hope is the economy can recover, which I'm not sure about. 

In that case, do you feel that China and Italy also overreacted?

Just now, Curt said:

In that case, do you feel that China and Italy also overreacted?

With China, I don't know if we'll ever know what really happened. With Italy, probably. I had no cell service/internet access in the beginning of this whole mess so I didn't pay much attention. I would like to give a better answer, but sadly I cannot 

9 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Speaking of Sweden.  They aren’t holding up as a gold standard.

Sweden has a Total Population of just over 10.3 Million per Google.  That’s about 2,000 deaths. Also Swedes do not have the co-morbidities in large percentages such as Obesity, Heart Disease, Diabetes and Chronic Lung Diseases that the United States Does. 

This the evidence by the US having 150 deaths per million (compared to 200 for Sweden) despite having the Country in lockdown. 

Can you imagine what the death rates would be if the US followed the Swedish Model

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

But yet there is no mass hysteria there, people are enjoying their lives still.

Where do you see mass hysteria? It may be different where you are, but there is no mass hysteria here in Maryland.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Weave said:

Speaking of Sweden.  They aren’t holding up as a gold standard.

But, therein lies the $2T question.  Will Sweden's total C-19 deaths when all this is said and done wind up essentially the same as they would've been by locking down but occurring over a much shorter time frame or will they be higher overall?

Nobody knows that answer at present and it will take until the virus has run its course to be able to answer it.

Whether they're right or wrong, there will be a lot of misplaced finger pointing by the ones that GUESSED right.  Misplaced, because, when the decisions were made to lockdown or not lockdown, there was nobody with enough data to make an informed decision.  It was all guesswork.

And, if Dark is correct about Sweden's healthcare system's ability to weather a crisis better than elsewhere, then it wasn't as foolhardy a choice as we might believe prior to having the results being in.  And whether they're right or not, it will give everyone a chance to see how trying to bring herd immunity to A population worked out.  Personally, am hoping they're right, because it might allow us to have better options when the next pandemic that can't be contained occurs.

• Like (+1) 1

It will be interesting if the percentage of infected and deaths in Sweden will be similar or way way worse than countries who‘s population really hammered home the social distancing, masks, and closed businesses route.

10 million vs. 330 million is a very different animal with a unique set of challenges they share and don’t share.