Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jbot has the option to do next to nothing this off-season and field a team.

CURRENT CAP SITUATION

8 Forwards under contract for $37,125,000 - Eichel, Skinner, Okposo, Sobotka, Reinhart, Mitts, Wilson and Sheary

RFAs - Girgensons, Larsson, Erod, and Smith

UFAs - Pominville

Prospects under contract - Olofsson (767K), Nylander (863K), Thompson (925K), Asplund (845K)

7 Defensemen under contract for $21,918,000 - Bogo, Ristolainen, Montour, Dahlin, Nelson, Hunwick and Scandella

RFAs - McCabe, Dougherty

Prospects under contract - Pilut (925K), Borgen (864k)

1 Goalie under contract for $2,750,000 - Hutton

RFA - Ullmark

Other Cap costs - $792,000 - Coho Buyout.

Total Cap hit right now - 16 players for $62,585,000 approx $20 mill in cap left to spend.  Only expensive RFA is McCabe.  I estimate 3.5 for McCabe.

If Jbot re-signs McCabe (3.5), ERod (1.5), Smith (700k) and Ullmark (1.5), for an estimated 7.2 million and Thompson, Nylander and Olofsson earn roster spots, we'd have a complete roster for about $72,340,000.  

Obviously, that isn't going to be our final roster.  That is the status quo with some kids thrown into the fire.  That won't satisfy the fanbase, the Pegulas, or Jbot.  He knows he has to improve our D zone skills and improve the 2nd line.  I'm also not sure anyone but Olofsson and maybe Pilut from the kids is really ready to be in the NHL.  

In fact from the status quo lineup, I think only Jack, Sam, Skinner, KO, Sheary, Mitts, Bogo, Dahlin, Montour and Hutton are the only guys certain to be in the opening night lineup.  These guys account for only $44.78 of the cap.  Basically, Jbot has a ton of flexibility cap wise to get things done. 

Hey, as long as JB does it very wisely we should be in good shape.

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’m not committing an NHL spot nor a multi-year, multi-million dollar deal to a guy that hasn’t cracked the NHL at age 25. Methinks we’re blinded by the location at which he came out of his mother.

A one year prove it deal for a player whose NHL Equivalency Point Total is 30 for the past three seasons,  on a team woefully lacking in Bottom Six Depth is a move to consider.

Whether he spent time in a Newborn Nursery  in Chicago, Kingston, Prague, Stockholm, Kiev or Buffalo does not change this fact. 

I

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

A one year prove it deal for a player whose NHL Equivalency Point Total is 30 for the past three seasons,  on a team woefully lacking in Bottom Six Depth is a move to consider.

Whether he spent time in a Newborn Nursery  in Chicago, Kingston, Prague, Stockholm, Kiev or Buffalo does not change this fact. 

If the Sabre’s acquire a second line center and winger then Casey and Sherry become bottom six players and suddenly woefully lacking becomes incorrect. 

I’m not opposed to signing him but your original post said “immediately upgrades bottom six” and that is a huge leap.

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

A 25 yr old that hasn’t really had a good sniff in the NHL yet?  I don’t think equivalencies work when you’re at an age where you’ve pretty much maxxed out your development.  I would def not assume this guy would be a bottom 6 improvement.

Edited by Weave

42 minutes ago, Weave said:

A 25 yr old that hasn’t really had a good sniff in the NHL yet?  I don’t think equivalencies work when you’re at an age where you’ve pretty much maxxed out your development.  I would def not assume this guy would be a bottom 6 improvement.

Maxed out development and even development has gotten to be cliche.  Can a 25 year old improve, sure... even physically... but mentally a person's work ethic is pretty much established unless some traumatic event motivates them, it is what is.

Edited by North Buffalo

Not sure if anyone posted this yet

"We'll certainly be active in talking to different players in free agency," Botterill said. "We'll see how that plays out. Our biggest focus, I think, heading into free agency was getting Jeff signed, and we've accomplished that. We'll continue to talk to see if there's a fit to help out our team from that respect. I think sometimes a more realistic option is through trades, like we did last year with Conor Sheary and Matt Hunwick, and utilizing our [NHL salary] cap space from that standpoint."

https://www.nhl.com/news/jeff-skinner-first-step-for-buffalo-sabres-ending-playoff-drought/c-307763776

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol, I don't believe for a second we will trade with Toronto. 

Would shock the hell out of me too.

Just pointing out that there are teams other than Tampa selling.

Unfortunately there are also many more teams than just us buying, as well.

9 hours ago, tom webster said:

I

If the Sabre’s acquire a second line center and winger then Casey and Sherry become bottom six players and suddenly woefully lacking becomes incorrect. 

I’m not opposed to signing him but your original post said “immediately upgrades bottom six” and that is a huge leap.

Agreed, but if replacements cannot be brought in he is an option

I view him as an immediate upgrade over Wilson and Elie both who had bottom six minutes with the Sabres last year. He might plateau as a AAAA Player, but his body of work warrants consideration.

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Maybe, only one way to find out though 

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol, I don't believe for a second we will trade with Toronto. 

What’s the difference between trading with Toronto and trading with Tampa? If proximity and so called rivalry make that much of a difference, this business is ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, inkman said:

They are brimming with talent. If we need to take on Callahan to get Miller (Point!?!), Make it happen.  

There is no world in which we should have to take on Callahan to get Miller unless the only thing we're sending their way is a 7th round pick. I want Miller, and in many ways I think he's an ideal acquisition...but acquiring Callahan basically prevents us from adding another top-6 player this season.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

There is no world in which we should have to take on Callahan to get Miller unless the only thing we're sending their way is a 7th round pick. I want Miller, and in many ways I think he's an ideal acquisition...but acquiring Callahan basically prevents us from adding another top-6 player this season.

If you can bundle Scandella in a deal with Rasmus, buyout Vlad and bury Hunwick you just found $12.4 million.  I think the Callahan/Miller trade is going to happen.  But I still have confidence another top 6 is coming.  Zucker or someone who hasn’t been rumored.   I also think a mid level UFA defenseman is added if Rasmus is traded. 

There are so many possibilities this year and Toronto is in a world of hurt. Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson and Gardiner (plus 2 more D) to re-sign and only $14 mill to do it with. (Horton’s contract goes to LTIR).

I hope Jbot is targeting Kapanen.  A 5 year 4.227 per year deal would only cost a 2nd rd pick as an offer sheet.  Over that costs a 1st and a 3rd. I doubt Toronto could match. Honestly I’d offer Toronto our 30/31st pick and trade for his rights today and avoid the offer sheet This replaces the 1st rd pick Toronto doesn’t have this year and erases one cap worry.  

Toronto would probably like to trade him outside of the division but this might be their best offer.  

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

There are so many possibilities this year and Toronto is in a world of hurt. Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson and Gardiner (plus 2 more D) to re-sign and only $14 mill to do it with. (Horton’s contract goes to LTIR).

I hope Jbot is targeting Kapanen.  A 5 year 4.227 per year deal would only cost a 2nd rd pick as an offer sheet.  Over that costs a 1st and a 3rd. I doubt Toronto could match. Honestly I’d offer Toronto our 30/31st pick and trade for his rights today and avoid the offer sheet This replaces the 1st rd pick Toronto doesn’t have this year and erases one cap worry.  

Toronto would probably like to trade him outside of the division but this might be their best offer.  

Didn't they give up their 2nd round pick this year in the Skinner trade? If so, they'd have to get it back before they could even offer that contract to Kapanen and even if they did, Kapanen would still have to sign it.

3 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Didn't they give up their 2nd round pick this year in the Skinner trade? If so, they'd have to get it back before they could even offer that contract to Kapanen and even if they did, Kapanen would still have to sign it.

Any draft picks included as part of an offer sheet would be for the 2020 draft and later, because free agency doesn't start until after the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Ya that’s why you probably just trade the first for his rights if you wanted to go that route.  Kappenen is a sneaky good player for them so I will be happy if he moves on do to cap constraints.  

Also keep in mind it’s likeky Toronto can move marleau and that would free up some space.

6 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Ya that’s why you probably just trade the first for his rights if you wanted to go that route.  Kappenen is a sneaky good player for them so I will be happy if he moves on do to cap constraints.  

Also keep in mind it’s likeky Toronto can move marleau and that would free up some space.

Who is taking a 39 year old Marleau off Toronto’s hands for $6 mill+ .  He also has a NMC.  I think they are stuck with him.  I also think they will have a very hard time finding a taker for Zaitsev.  He has 5 years left at 4.5 with a M-NTC.  

I hate to say it, but Toronto May have screwed up their rebuild.  Great offense, but the D remains lacking.  Oh well.

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who is taking a 39 year old Marleau off Toronto’s hands for $6 mill+ .  He also has a NMC.  I think they are stuck with him.  I also think they will have a very hard time finding a taker for Zaitsev.  He has 5 years left at 4.5 with a M-NTC. 

I hate to say it, but Toronto May have screwed up their rebuild.  Great offense, but the D remains lacking.  Oh well.

Why hate to say it?  Unless you fear jinxing it by mentioning it.  They've placed most all their eggs in the offense basket; can't see a problem with it biting them in the bippy.  Actually, that could be a best of both world's scenario: Loaf fans are happy because their team is entertaining & we can be happy because every time we look at the standings they're hanging with/ just above the new look Otters.

They MIGHT have hosed themselves, but until we see Marleau in the same monochrome sweater, will expect them to find a way out of that contract just like they did with Phaneuf & Clarkson.

Here's to hoping though.

Edited by Taro T

My first attempt at fixing the Sabres.

1) Trade Scandella for a 3rd.

2) Trade our 31st to Toronto for Kapanen. Sign him for 5 years at 4.25

3) Re-sign McCabe 3 years at 3.5 per year

4) Re-sign Erod.  2 years at 1.5 per year

5) Sign Donskoi at 3 years at 3.0 per year

6) Trade Nylander to Minn for Zucker who has 4 years left at 5.5

7) Sign Marcus Johansson 3 year 4 per year.

8.) Trade for Alex Martinez who has 2 years left at 4.0 with the 3rd we get for Scandella and Sheary and a prospect.

9) buyout out Sobatka, waive Hunwick

10) re-sign Ullmark - 1 year at 1.0 and Smith - 1 year 700K

Lineup and cost

Forwards - Cost $51,842,000Skinner

Skinner Eichel Kapanen

Zucker Johansson Reinhart

Sheary Mitts Olofsson

Wilson Erod Okposo

Smith

Defense - Cost $24,342,857

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Ristolainen

Martinez Bogo

Nelson

Goalies - Cost 3,750,000

Hutton - Ullmark

Total Lineup Cost with CoHo, Sobotka and Hunwick buyout/waivers = $80.727.

EDIT: I realized after I wrote this post that I can’t sign Donskoi and Johansson and have enough money to re-sign Montour, Reinhart, Olofsson and Mitts after next year, so I choose to keep the center. Instead we’ll play out Sheary’s final year (cap hit the same) and open up the roster spot for a kid in 2020.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.