Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

If I remember clearly Brodie is an LD who prefers to play the right and can defend.

Should be lots of interest league-wide.

Seems about right after just glancing at his stats. Sounds like a guy you would love to have

Since Brodie is 1 year away from UFA, and will turn 29 in June of 2020, Calgary isn't going to get that much for him unless an extension is part of the deal -- which is possible but not likely IMHO.

So, what's 1 year of a good defenseman, plus (presumably) a decent shot at re-signing him, worth?  This is fairly similar to the Skinner situation, in which the Sabres gave up Pu, a 2nd, a 3rd and a 6th.  Skinner was younger and probably more valuable.

Calgary will most likely be looking for prospects and/or picks, so there's no unloading Okposo or Sobotka here.

Nylander and a 3rd that becomes a 2nd if the Sabres re-sign Brodie?

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

TJ Brodie, anyone?

From the Athletic -- an article about top 20 players likely to be traded -- https://theathletic.com/1011961/2019/06/05/nhl-trade-board-top-20-players-who-could-move-this-summer/

He shoots left, he's 6'2", 180 lbs and had 34 pts in 21.5 min per game last year for a division-winning Calgary team.  He's from Chatham, Ontario -- closer to Detroit, but only about 3.5 hrs to Buffalo.

His contract status is obviously a major issue.

I haven’t kept up with Hamonic in a couple years but he was a player I used to want. I *think* he had some family issues that made him want to be closer to western Canada, but he doesn’t have a NTC. Also a right handed shot. Would definitely prefer him to Risto. 

LeBrun from The Athletic 

• Fresh off the Jeff Skinner signing, the Sabres certainly aren’t ready to rest on their laurels. Word is they’re targeting both a second-line center and a top-six winger via trade or free agency. One player I hear they kicked tires on was Jason Zucker in Minnesota. I wonder if Nashville would offer Kyle Turris at a rebate if that would also interest Buffalo?

It would have to be a hell of a rebate 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd try Turris for Okposo, same cap hit, Turris has one more year on his contract but is about 1.5 years younger. He was great only a couple years ago and then hit a bunch of injuries. If he regains his form he'd be a perfect stopgap for Mitts and would be a solid 3rd line center in his 30's. If he continues to be banged up, we merely LTIR him.

13 hours ago, nfreeman said:

A top-6 winger and a #2 center will collectively be pricey.  

Yes it will be.  But either you go and spend the money or wait for one to develop.  Which train are you on?  That's what it boils down to around here. 

A 2C is important for JBot to procure this off season. Even if it is an older guy that can become 3C when Mitts is ready.

I liked Asplund when he played in the WJHC and when TM drafted him. His offense seemed to pick up in the second half. I think he could be 3-4C by next season.

JBot may have to keep prospects down longer due to the Seattle draft.

53 minutes ago, LTS said:

Yes it will be.  But either you go and spend the money or wait for one to develop.  Which train are you on?  That's what it boils down to around here. 

My point was simply that I’m not sure the sabres will have enough cap space for their shopping list.  

17 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

My point was simply that I’m not sure the sabres will have enough cap space for their shopping list.  

I think they do. One via UFA and one via trade where we're moving salary similar out to what we bring in. Whether Botterill is good enough to pull it off is another matter entirely, of course. 

Wonder if JBotts is looking at older guys with term he can expose during Seattle entry draft.  I.e., poison pill... keep Okposo, sign a Lee keep a couple other older guys up??? gotta part of managing who do you protect and who is exposed.  Id say keep Sobotka, but no, he is such a damn anchor, resign Larry, Girgs and Erod; thats a decent 4th checking line. If you draft Cozens, put him with Sam and UFA center.   Mitts will need two wingers.... OK and Nylander... Its a start.  Still, need more lower end or young talent...

Edited by North Buffalo

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I would agree. He would instantly make our bottom 6 better. Throw him a 3 year 5.5 mil total offer.

I’m not committing an NHL spot nor a multi-year, multi-million dollar deal to a guy that hasn’t cracked the NHL at age 25. Methinks we’re blinded by the location at which he came out of his mother.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

I’m not committing an NHL spot nor a multi-year, multi-million dollar deal to a guy that hasn’t cracked the NHL at age 25. Methinks we’re blinded by the location at which he came out of his mother.

We're vag blind?

Edited by inkman

5 hours ago, inkman said:

We're vag blind?

Indeedly!

5 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

what about this idea: 

Not a shot I'd trade a 7th for him and that contract. Not even if the Ducks retain the max 50% and attach something to him.

Now, if he's bought out I'd have interest.

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Understood.  But what I said holds true, either you go after those pieces or you wait for them to develop.  Whether you can actually sign the players is secondary to trying to do so in the first place.  There could be some stupid deals made this off-season (some already think there was one).  

Hopefully they can find what they need.  If not there's little to be done about it other than manufacturing it through a trade.  Which, may be possible.

Jbot has the option to do next to nothing this off-season and field a team.

CURRENT CAP SITUATION

8 Forwards under contract for $37,125,000 - Eichel, Skinner, Okposo, Sobotka, Reinhart, Mitts, Wilson and Sheary

RFAs - Girgensons, Larsson, Erod, and Smith

UFAs - Pominville

Prospects under contract - Olofsson (767K), Nylander (863K), Thompson (925K), Asplund (845K)

7 Defensemen under contract for $21,918,000 - Bogo, Ristolainen, Montour, Dahlin, Nelson, Hunwick and Scandella

RFAs - McCabe, Dougherty

Prospects under contract - Pilut (925K), Borgen (864k)

1 Goalie under contract for $2,750,000 - Hutton

RFA - Ullmark

Other Cap costs - $792,000 - Coho Buyout.

Total Cap hit right now - 16 players for $62,585,000 approx $20 mill in cap left to spend.  Only expensive RFA is McCabe.  I estimate 3.5 for McCabe.

If Jbot re-signs McCabe (3.5), ERod (1.5), Smith (700k) and Ullmark (1.5), for an estimated 7.2 million and Thompson, Nylander and Olofsson earn roster spots, we'd have a complete roster for about $72,340,000.  

Obviously, that isn't going to be our final roster.  That is the status quo with some kids thrown into the fire.  That won't satisfy the fanbase, the Pegulas, or Jbot.  He knows he has to improve our D zone skills and improve the 2nd line.  I'm also not sure anyone but Olofsson and maybe Pilut from the kids is really ready to be in the NHL.  

In fact from the status quo lineup, I think only Jack, Sam, Skinner, KO, Sheary, Mitts, Bogo, Dahlin, Montour and Hutton are the only guys certain to be in the opening night lineup.  These guys account for only $44.78 of the cap.  Basically, Jbot has a ton of flexibility cap wise to get things done. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.