Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't actually believe this myth. The guys who stayed like Eichel and Reinhart clearly have worked hard in the off-season to try and turn this around. ROR just pulled the emergency eject and got out. He's very good player and the trade was garbage. At this point I just don't care about rehashing ROR. 

No one was cheering for a tank and if ROR thinks that was the case, who cares. He's not part of the team or the community so he can ***** right off. 

... point totals? 

The 2 guys who were supposed to be the saviours of the franchise have put in some hard work in the offseason (learning to ride tandem bikes?) Has gotten the team where exactly? It hasn't shown up in games, and they don't appear to be very angry about losing that they play harder to win (there's been many comments in game day threads about Jacks effort during games)

No one was cheering for a tank? Really?

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I graciously accept your surrender.

It isn't a surrender. ROR is a very good hockey player. I don't give a ***** what he says or thinks and I am sick to death of talking about a guy who is gone. He was better for St Louis than here, why who knows, all I know is... I no longer care. 

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

The 2 guys who were supposed to be the saviours of the franchise have put in some hard work in the offseason (learning to ride tandem bikes?) Has gotten the team where exactly? It hasn't shown up in games, and they don't appear to be very angry about losing that they play harder to win (there's been many comments in game day threads about Jacks effort during games)

No one was cheering for a tank? Really?

Where did ROR get us?

No one was cheering for a tank when ROR was here.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

It isn't a surrender. ROR is a very good hockey player. I don't give a ***** what he says or thinks and I am sick to death of talking about a guy who is gone. He was better for St Louis than here, why who knows, all I know is... I no longer care. 

Where did ROR get us?

No one was cheering for a tank when ROR was here.

You're posting a lot for someone who doesn't care ?

I was a huge fan of O’Reilly before we acquired him. I was a huge fan of him while he was here. I was a huge fan of him after he was traded. I’m incredibly happy he got a cup.

Now, what player can we trade for that would help you forgive Botterill for this?

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I was a huge fan of O’Reilly before we acquired him. I was a huge fan of him while he was here. I was a huge fan of him after he was traded. I’m incredibly happy he got a cup.

Now, what player can we trade for that would help you forgive Botterill for this?

RNH

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I don't have a specific player in mind, honestly. I have some names for 2C I think are attainable and would help fill the void, but I don't really care who it is so long as it works to the tune of the playoffs. If we're not within a game or two of the playoffs (preferably in the playoffs) then I'll be on the fire Botterill bandwagon. Again, barring circumstances out of his control. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't have a specific player in mind, honestly. I have some names for 2C I think are attainable and would help fill the void, but I don't really care who it is so long as it works to the tune of the playoffs. If we're not within a game or two of the playoffs (preferably in the playoffs) then I'll be on the fire Botterill bandwagon. Again, barring circumstances out of his control. 

I'd like some continuity for once. I'm giving him 4 years

You mean your in a trade speculation thread, spout off multiple detailed posts about ROR whom has nothing to do with the thread but can’t name one player the sabres should trade for....in said thread?

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, WildCard said:

I'd like some continuity for once. I'm giving him 4 years

I'd like some continuity too. But if we're not even sniffing the playoffs again, I find a hard time with continuity being a compelling reason to stay the course. Driving around the mountains can be tiresome but that doesn't mean the solution is to go straight and hop the guard rail. 

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

I'd like some continuity too. But if we're not even sniffing the playoffs again, I find a hard time with continuity being a compelling reason to stay the course. Driving around the mountains can be tiresome but that doesn't mean the solution is to go straight and hop the guard rail. 

I'm a believer that Housley was the reason we weren't even sniffing the playoffs last season. We will be this year

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Derrico said:

You mean your in a trade speculation thread, spout off multiple detailed posts about ROR whom has nothing to do with the thread but can’t name one player the sabres should trade for....in said thread?

I can and I have. Here and elsewhere, even if not during this particular conversation. The obvious two in Tampa (Miller and Johnson...strongish preference for Miller), Karlsson, Hayes, Duchene, Turris (only for cheap and/or salary retained). Bring me one. 

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm a believer that Housley was the reason we weren't even sniffing the playoffs last season. We will be this year

I definitely think he was a contributing factor. But it's not his fault his options at 2C were a smorgasbord of AHLers. 

Edit: Moreover, we'll find out this year, right? If the team sucks again, are you really willing to blame the coach again? When is it a roster problem? 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Well, we know it’s not Jeff Skinner..?

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

We'll be the judge of that, sir.

(Early returns are not promising, btw.)

Fine. I accepted his surrender like Michael Jordan accepted induction into the HoF. But when Liger goes off the deep end like he tends to do here and there, what other option did I have?!?! 

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Fine. I accepted his surrender like Michael Jordan accepted induction into the HoF. But when Liger goes off the deep end like he tends to do here and there, what other option did I have?!?! 

I don't surrender. 

34 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I can and I have. Here and elsewhere, even if not during this particular conversation. The obvious two in Tampa (Miller and Johnson...strongish preference for Miller), Karlsson, Hayes, Duchene, Turris (only for cheap and/or salary retained). Bring me one. 

I like the two Tampa and hope something gets done there.  I know it's the forward group that needs upgrading the most but I can't stop thinking about Trouba.  That guy can be a monster and if Risto is dealt in the Tampa trade then he would be the perfect replacement IMO.  What's the deal on Kessel?  Does he have a NMC?  If not would you entertain the idea?  Can you imagine a top line of Skinner - Eichel - Kessel?

11 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I like the two Tampa and hope something gets done there.  I know it's the forward group that needs upgrading the most but I can't stop thinking about Trouba.  That guy can be a monster and if Risto is dealt in the Tampa trade then he would be the perfect replacement IMO.  What's the deal on Kessel?  Does he have a NMC?  If not would you entertain the idea?  Can you imagine a top line of Skinner - Eichel - Kessel?

Skinner Eichel and Kessel would be a defensive liability.  We would probably have to trade Ristolainen to Winnipeg to get Trouba. 

41 minutes ago, Derrico said:

The only thing I would add to this,

when did he trash team after he left?

40 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I think the Pens are pretty set on not trading Kessel at this point. I think he has like a "8 teams I'll accept being traded to" list and its not compatible with who they could/would want to trade him to. He wasn't willing to budge.

27 minutes ago, freester said:

Skinner Eichel and Kessel would be a defensive liability.  We would probably have to trade Ristolainen to Winnipeg to get Trouba. 

Sold.

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

I only have so much info to base my conjecture on, but I think it mostly boils down to the simple question of: who's team is it?

The Sabres were, for all intents and purposes, O'Reilly's team before they became Jack's team. Who's team was the Avalanche when he was there?

I think what we have is that a line needed to be drawn about who's team this is, and it's obviously Jack's.

An unpredictable future will allow us to evaluate with hindsight whether that is a good thing or not.

The team was Jack's from the moment Murray called his name after we tanked to get him.

And ROR was officially acquired after that moment.

4 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I won't even give him the injury excuse, considering we were relatively healthy this year (first time for Jack in a couple years) and it didn't mean anything. 

5 hours ago, Hoss said:

Jeff Skinner. Except fans are shortsighted d-bags who only push agendas that match their narrative. 

I really don't understand why people want to keep rehashing ***** that's is in the past. It happened. Deal with it. On your own. Privately. Stop bitching like PA standing at the restaurant door at 4:25 yammering about the early bird special. 

The Sabres are certainly testing our patience with the unmitigated disaster they've iced since 2012. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Weave said:

If the problem was he couldn’t lead a bunch of kids, why wouldn’t the correct response be to obtain the people who can lead the kids and keep the best 2C in the game on your roster?

Well, it was hashed about but it's because at least one of the kids didn't really like him?  See below though.

5 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It moves it some, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong, but part of your argument is Eichel and O'Reilly couldn't co-exist in the leadership group because making it Eichel's team would inherently mean a demotion of sorts for O'Reilly. But it was never O'Reilly's team in any formal sense. Maybe O'Reilly wanted the C, knew he wasn't getting it, and that caused friction. Maybe other players did get tired of O'Reilly being negative. But man, aren't those things relatively minor in the grand scheme? Is any of that so big that building up the room and icing a better roster (thus, winning) wouldn't have been able to work it out? I just find it all really hard to believe. 

There are some situations where yes, you simply have to get a guy out. The whole thing a year ago with Hoffman and Karlsson strikes me as such a situation. I don't think the O'Reilly situation comes within a country mile of that severity from what we know.

You think they are minor.  But it only matters what the people who are involved think.  That said, I read LeBrun's article today about the Ryan O'Reilly story and there were a few points I found interesting.

His Mother

“He was disappointed,” his mother, Bonnie O’Reilly, said of how it ended in Buffalo. “He kind of felt, ‘They think I’m the problem.’ 

His Father

Brian O’Reilly said his son is “pretty tough mentally,” which helped shepherd him through the end-of-season drama in Buffalo in which the player’s rather candid comments about losing the joy for the game with all the losing the Sabres had done certainly raised eyebrows.

His Father Again

“There was a picture of him in Colorado when they lost and he just takes it all on,” said Brian O’Reilly. “It’s the same thing in Buffalo, if the team was losing, he would take it personally.

From LeBrun

For as much as the Sabres are being criticized for the deal, what’s puzzling to me looking back was how few teams actually showed interest, probably shying away from a contract that pays him $7.5 million a year. Montreal dabbled a bit and there were reports Carolina called, but really, the stunner now a year later is that more teams didn’t show interest in a great buy-low candidate.

What I read into those comments are.

He felt people thought he was the problem and he was so "mentally tough" that he lost his love of the game.  In Colorado, when they were losing and in Buffalo, he takes it personally.  Yes, most players hate losing.  Most don't talk about how they lose their love of the game however.  In fact, I've never heard a player say that before.  As we said, he takes on the personality of the team.  He's not the guy to pull the team out of losing.

But the real key for me was LeBrun's commentary.  For a player everyone knew was available.  For a player people all over are roasting the Sabres for trading away. Why was the interest so low in him?  Do you not want to smack every other GM and say "Why didn't you go get ROR?"  He was available for nothing.

Despite all the this, the that, and the other things that are out there. I can't get over that a player so amazing. A player that makes such a difference. A player, that doesn't have his on-ice production questioned.  Why would that player not be in demand by every franchise out there?

At this point, I'm with Liger.  The ROR discussion can continue, but I'm done with it.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't surrender. 

Not even when the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor!

Edited by LTS
accidental word omission.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.