Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

13 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Yes, that’s a possibility. But if I’m interviewing MY GUY, and he needs time to think about it or convince himself to take the job - or weighing it against another job — then he NEVER should have been my guy.

Quenneville outright said NO. Perfect! Thank you! They reached out to gauge interest BEFORE they fired Housley. Why didn’t they do that for McLellan (he was unemployed too!)? At this point, it shouldn’t be a matter if he’s interested or not. It should just be a matter of putting pen to paper.

If reporters are to be believed.... it’s almost as if Botterill has begun his coaching search on Tuesday after firing Housley. That would be absolutely ridiculous, if so.

It's a big decision. He's been on the west coast for over 10 years and a move to Buffalo from California might not be an easy call for him, despite the contract offer. This doesn't strike me as an issue, especially with his son being involved in the Frozen 4 this weekend. It's a big weekend for his family, he has no reason to hurry. He  will have a job very soon.

20 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Yes, that’s a possibility. But if I’m interviewing MY GUY, and he needs time to think about it or convince himself to take the job - or weighing it against another job — then he NEVER should have been my guy.

Quenneville outright said NO. Perfect! Thank you! They reached out to gauge interest BEFORE they fired Housley. Why didn’t they do that for McLellan (he was unemployed too!)? At this point, it shouldn’t be a matter if he’s interested or not. It should just be a matter of putting pen to paper.

If reporters are to be believed.... it’s almost as if Botterill has begun his coaching search on Tuesday after firing Housley. That would be absolutely ridiculous, if so.

What's ridiculous is your fanatical speculation and panic mode.

• Like (+1) 1

Per 31 Thoughts Quenneville accepted the Florida Position a week ago Thursday even before Boughner was fired.

Per Tyson McLellan, his family is here to watch him play in the Frozen Four and his Dad will make a decision after the weekend is over. 

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per 31 Thoughts Quenneville accepted the Florida Position a week ago Thursday even before Boughner was fired.

Per Tyson McLellan, his family is here to watch him play in the Frozen Four and his Dad will make a decision after the weekend is over. 

It's hard for me to describe how much I hate whatever media person even asked him that. Was it Friedman directly or is he just reported a quote from elsewhere? 

14 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's hard for me to describe how much I hate whatever media person even asked him that.

Agreed.  Boo-urns for exploiting media access to his son during a scrum that should be about his son's experience and successes to get meaningless timetable info on his Dad.

8 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

You really think that salary is not a major issue for NHL coaches when making decisions about taking a job?  I can't imagine that is true in the majority of cases.

sure salary is a major issue.  You said cost of living and taxes are an issue.  I think that when your talking about $4M to $5M per year you can focus on other things, such as do I really want to work for GM/ Owner.  Taxes in Erie County versus So Cal? 

Of course, his wide can say I want a house on the beach facinf the Pacific Ocean and that is that.

22 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's hard for me to describe how much I hate whatever media person even asked him that. Was it Friedman directly or is he just reported a quote from elsewhere? 

Serious question: what is any member of the media hurting by asking him about his father?

40 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Talking to Bogosian on a flight to Orlando right now...

Ask him who he’d like to punch more, Nazem Kadri or Mike Harrington?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

So based on that, he should have never been Buffalo's NOR L.A.'s guy?  Is that what you're saying?  Because your statement cuts both ways, you know.

Your assertion is hogwash anyway.  If you are looking for a job and have a chance at two different offers, aren't you going to listen to both offers before you make your decision?  Of course you are.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Talking to Bogosian on a flight to Orlando right now...

Any chance you can push him out the emergency exit? 

15 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Serious question: what is any member of the media hurting by asking him about his father?

It's a media scrum about the Frozen Four. His son might never have another moment like this again. It's about him and his accomplishments. Then some dope decides to ask a question about his father's job search that there is a 0% chance results in an interesting answer. It's not harmful so much as totally bush league. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's a media scrum about the Frozen Four. His son might never have another moment like this again. It's about him and his accomplishments. Then some dope decides to ask a question about his father's job search that there is a 0% chance results in an interesting answer. It's not harmful so much as totally bush league. 

I actually find his answer quite interesting.

49 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

sure salary is a major issue.  You said cost of living and taxes are an issue.  I think that when your talking about $4M to $5M per year you can focus on other things, such as do I really want to work for GM/ Owner.  Taxes in Erie County versus So Cal? 

Of course, his wide can say I want a house on the beach facinf the Pacific Ocean and that is that.

My guess is that the Sabres offered more money, plus enticing him with Eichel and Dahlin. Signing Skinner would probably help his decision too. He's probably weighing those pros with the cons of having no real goaltender vs LA with Quick and just moving cross country is a big deal. Say what you want about 'the seasons' in Buffalo, but the weekend forecast for mid April of 40 and rain probably won't thrill Mrs McLellan.

6 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

My guess is that the Sabres offered more money, plus enticing him with Eichel and Dahlin. Signing Skinner would probably help his decision too. He's probably weighing those pros with the cons of having no real goaltender vs LA with Quick and just moving cross country is a big deal. Say what you want about 'the seasons' in Buffalo, but the weekend forecast for mid April of 40 and rain probably won't thrill Mrs McLellan.

gotta hope a big earthquake hits LA tomorrow

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Perhaps @biodork or the late @Randall Flagg can explain why that's not possible. @IKnowPhysics might even know.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

There's a house in Grand Island on the Niagara River available.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Perhaps @biodork or the late @Randall Flagg can explain why that's not possible. @IKnowPhysics might even know.

Actually I can.  There's much more air pressure in the pressurized cabin than outside the aircraft, both due to the altitude and the windspeed outside.  The door is designed such that it is "wedged" in place by that pressure, since to open it it has to come in before it swings out.  Because of that, it would take a tremendous amount of force to open the door; more than a human is capable of.