Jump to content
Brawndo

Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Recommended Posts

Ugh ... what about the process?  any process?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just coming to post this.

Wouldn't surprise me that Botterill had a guy in mind and went after him.

Anyone know if there is a Botterill connection?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Shannon of Sportsnet was on with Howard today at GR-55.

He says McLellan is likely to go to LA.  He seemed to suggest that's a done deal. 

And Dallas Eakins going to Anaheim as also another done deal.

 

 

Edited by Kruppstahl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Ugh ... what about the process?  any process?

 

He said he'd already begun talking to people in his press meeting yesterday.

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

What the FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF???????

So, you don't like this either?

And until it's done, it's not done... just ask Antonio Brown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fits the preferred profile of a vet who had success elsewhere but couldn't get over the hump.

Fantastic regular season success with the Sharks. Not so much playoffs.

Took a horrible Edmonton team to the playoffs. Didn't do much his other two Oiler seasons.

Not going to blame him for the Oiler failures.

Guess we do look more attractive than the Kings?

6 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

John Shannon of Sportsnet was on with Howard today at GR-55.

He says McLellan is likely to go to LA.  He seemed to suggest that's a done deal. 

And Dallas Eakins going to Anaheim as also another done deal.

 

 

Shannon also said O'Reilly would likely return a 2nd round draft pick.

Edited by dudacek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Ugh ... what about the process?  any process?

 

Are you still making the mistake of believing what GM’s say to the public and media? Silly boy ... 😂

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McLellan was the guy I wanted other than PH last time around.  I like what he did in SJ, but they had strong locker room leadership and a veteran team.

He fits the mold of a future Cup winner, but based on his failure in Edm with a similar roster that we have here, I’m not impressed.  

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LTS said:

He said he'd already begun talking to people in his press meeting yesterday.

So, you don't like this either?

And until it's done, it's not done... just ask Antonio Brown.

I can't say I hate it but I guess I really just wanted to see what happened with Boudreau. I suppose McLellan can't be blamed for Edmonton since nobody can seem to figure out that mess either. And I probaly should admit that I did like Mclellan before he went to the Oil.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no feelings on this. Edmonton has been a mess for years so idk if I can blame him but Buffalo has been a mess too so there's that as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Friendly reminder that we don’t actually know what we’re talking about when it comes to coaching in the NHL and nobody knows the formula. To get worked up, one way or the other, is silly.

What're you new here?

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

McLellan was the guy I wanted other than PH last time around.  I like what he did in SJ, but they had strong locker room leadership and a veteran team.

He fits the mold of a future Cup winner, but based on his failure in Edm with a similar roster that we have here, I’m not impressed.  

Did they? Cause they stripped their captain of the C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I can't say I hate it but I guess I really just wanted to see what happened with Boudreau. I suppose McLellan can't be blamed for Edmonton since nobody can seem to figure out that mess either. And I probaly should admit that I did like Mclellan before he went to the Oil.

Personally, I'd prefer McLellan. Records are pretty similar.

Boudreau

862005253_ScreenShot2019-04-08at10_55_55AM.thumb.png.2738d2d66743dd8411a889311a487445.png

 

McLellan

15718050_ScreenShot2019-04-08at10_55_13AM.thumb.png.b8997bef2305b912a53394c187d33039.png

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Fits the preferred profile of a vet who had success elsewhere but couldn't get over the hump.

Fantastic regular season success with the Sharks. Not so much playoffs.

Took a horrible Edmonton team to the playoffs. Didn't do much his other two Oiler seasons.

Not going to blame him for the Oiler failures.

Guess we do look more attractive than the Kings?

Shannon also said O'Reilly would likely return a 2nd round draft pick.

I'm not suggesting Shannon is right; I'm suggesting he is a professional hockey news reporter who just reported information which conflicts directly with this thread.

So you might want to take that into your calculations.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He meets the profile of experience and has won. Edmonton? Who knows but he did get to playoffs once with less talent than on paper they have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted in the other thread.. but it belongs here.

McLellan is the coach who pulled the 'C' from Joe Thornton.  I mean.. that's a bold move.

He was an assistant to Babcock as well.

If it holds out I think I can live with the idea.  Certainly him over AV or Boudreau (absolutely do not want him).  Someone floated Tippett but I think he's just holding out for the sweet Seattle job.  I could behind Tippett, he seemed to work wonders with the Coyotes and what he was given.

I think he checks the boxes when it comes to things Botterill was probably looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not excited about McLellen, but I was about Housely and that went to *****, so what the hell do I know.

Edited by sabills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Works for me.

Now get a better goalie please.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have a #fancystats breakdown of McLellan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Explains why Housley was let go so abruptly. If he wanted AV he had all summer really, but Q and Mc we're rumored to have been pursued by Florida and LA to months now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly relevant: he has a presidents trophy (Sharks '09) and a Stanley Cup (Wings '08)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Works for me.

Now get a better goalie please.

I think the current tandem will be the same for the next two and final years of Hutton’s contract. No matter what.

It’s possible, the future tandem will be UPL backing up Ullmark in 21-22.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

I think the current tandem will be the same for the next two and final years of Hutton’s contract. No matter what.

It’s possible, the future tandem will be UPL backing up Ullmark in 21-22.

Yuck, but you could certainly be right.

Separately, and pending further analysis, I think I like this choice more than AV or Boudreau.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...