Updated Todd McLellan OUT of the Running Sabres HC Position

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, Derrico said:

As others have said, I don't have a huge preference for him but if this is JBott's guy then I hope we land him.  I won't get excited with whomever it is until I see winning.

Agree.

If the Sabres are able to get McLellan behind the bench is a solid move that on the surface can be worth 5-10 points in the standings on its own. But without proper upgrades to secondary scoring lines, tweaks on defense, ans stability in net, we can forget the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Different players or same players at different stages of development. Different coaches too. Obviously.

Not every situation is the same, not every coach is either.

Exactly, that is why NHL head coaching experience isn't a must. I just need a coach who has been a head coach. 

39 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh, like Dan Bylsma? Pretty sure he had tons of experience. 

Why do you consistently grab onto the one word or phrase that you don’t like and completely disregard the rest?  There were qualifiers on top of experience that eliminate Bylsma completely.

Edited by Weave

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

Why do you consistently grab onto the one word or phrase that you don’t like and completely disregard the rest?  There were qualifiers on top of experience that eliminate Bylsma completely.

Why do you care? Am I not allowed to comment on the things I want and to not on the things I don't? 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Why do you care? Am I not allowed to comment on the things I want and to not on the things I don't? 

I only care because it drags down the level of conversation.  Obviously you’re free to comment on the sections you want, but it becomes meaningless if you drop out context.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Here, this is for Weave. The Sabres need a coach with experience and who knows how to coach a team and get the best our of the players. They don't have to be an NHL retread. I don't agree with Button and if that is what Botterill wants, I don't agree with him either. Just because you were an NHL head coach, doesn't mean you are good or should magically get another opportunity. 

So to recap, we need a coach with head coaching experience at a professional level, doesn't have to be NHL. We need a coach who is good at getting the best out of players. Only the old boys club of the NHL (pro sports) would pigeonhole themselves into a limited list of candidates based on criteria that have little correlation to winning. Hence why I said Dan Bylsma. 

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I only care because it drags down the level of conversation.  Obviously you’re free to comment on the sections you want, but it becomes meaningless if you drop out context.

I don't think that is your motivation. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh, like Dan Bylsma? Pretty sure he had tons of experience. 

Can we stop with this anecdotal dance? Plenty of coaches with experience have had success and plenty have failed. Dan Bylsma’s failure means very little to this franchise right now. The roster has also changed quite a bit between now and then.

56 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yes.

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Can we stop with this anecdotal dance? Plenty of coaches with experience have had success and plenty have failed. Dan Bylsma’s failure means very little to this franchise right now. The roster has also changed quite a bit between now and then.

Yes.

Cuz that's the evidence were using for an "experienced" coach. 

He was an NHL head coach, he has experience. Let's get that guy! Okay well is that guy actually good? 

What makes McLellan better than Keefe or Gronborg? 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He was an NHL head coach, he has experience. Let's get that guy! Okay well is that guy actually good? 

To your questions: I don’t know. And you don’t know either.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Because you are much more likely according to the last 20 years in the NHL to win a Cup with a coach who has 2-4 past NHL HC coaching jobs, then a rookie coach on his 1st NHL HC job, even if he has AHL HC experience.

Still the question still needs to be debated to see if we could come up with some indicators.  What are the personality traits that make a highly successful coach.

Ill give it a stab:

Flexibility

Able to ID talent on team

Able to figure out which players work well with others and stick with those combo

Able to ID weaknesses and mitigate them

Able to adjust to injuries

Able to put young players in scenarios to grow and be successful

Able to know when to push players buttons..and how

many more im sure including using all tools available and how and when to use them... critical thinking..

not sure what makes the critical number of these traits equal success

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Because you are much more likely according to the last 20 years in the NHL to win a Cup with a coach who has 2-4 past NHL HC coaching jobs, then a rookie coach on his 1st NHL HC job, even if he has AHL HC experience.

*Looks at Mike Sullivan*

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Image result for yes gif kenan thompson