GDT: Rochester Ameri... err Buffalo Sabres vs Sens 4-4-18 7:30p EDT

pi2000

I see your point, however, I would trade the last decade for sure and all that playoff fun. there are some parallels, they might be letting him go or maybe not, there's no way to know for sure yet. We also let some franchise talent walk in 2007, I realize that this GM isnt at fault, but it still was the Sabres org.

True, our owner is willing to spend, hike up ticket prices every year, and still have a garbage product on the ice. I am having doubts of Terry as an effective owner.

Wasn’t there a point in time where Terry was promising “Cups?”

Is anybody going to the game tonight that would be able to sneak out an extra Hasek bobblehead? I will pay shipping if anybody can get their hands on one for me. Hasek was always my favorite player growing up, but I can't justify a day off from work to watch this team. Haha.

I’d like to purchase one from someone as well. eBay prices are already ridiculously high. I was supposed to be at the game, but was in jail instead.

I would love if Joel entertained the idea of coaching this club "as a challenge" to see if he can turn around their fortunes. In fact I would be over the top happy if we could land Quenneville. His time has expired in Chicago (as it does with all coaches sooner or later) 

How many times did Quenneville flame out in the first round before he suddenly found himself in charge of a team of all-stars?

I want to find coaches who know how to do more with less.

How many times did Quenneville flame out in the first round before he suddenly found himself in charge of a team of all-stars?

very good point...Q is great when the team is great. You are absolutely correct by saying this team desperately needs someone like babs that gets a lot of mileage out of his players.babs got the same results in detroit as he is getting now...he gets every player to play to their potential. We by comparison have a bunch of guys playing way below their potential and/or are not being used properly. the strength of a good coach is using players to their strengths and not asking them to do something they are not capable of.

Gut feeling, I don't think Housley returns next year.

Voluntarily?  That would be career suicide, so I'm skeptical.

Unless we have reason to suspect that we can get Quenneville in here, no reason to cut Housley loose yet.

But that can change very quickly next season. 

This.

Holy mackerel would I be psyched for Quenneville.

Agreed - he may decide to help his wife out on the campaign trail. 

Pretty unlikely as I mentioned above but he is a family man so who knows?

Housley isn't getting fired guys. Anyone who thinks so better not hold their breath.

And I just read the Sabres want Dunleavy back and they're working on a deal. (Rick is doing his usual dramatic "I'll think about it" which he's been doing for decades, but he said he's leaning toward coming back.)

Hey man, that's not the SabreSpace inclusive atmosphere we're trying to foster here.

I think people can hold their breath in any manner they like. If they have the willpower to actually do it, they'll just pass out and start breathing again.

Actually it's a perfect example of what new posters and posters who don't contribute a lot are complaining about. You can't be negative -- unless you're a crusty old SS vet. Otherwise, prepare to have your peeper slapped.

Some would argue they became All Stars under coach Quenneville's coaching! He won Cups with Anti ######## Niemi as a starter and Corey Crawford (over rated in my opinion) I'll still take him over Phil or Dan or Ron. Quenneville sits in press boxes. Didn't see that with Phil (especially when it came to Kyle, ROR, Reinhart Kane etc. He sat some of our lesser players but not nearly enough, and there were many nights this season that this club went out on the ice and went through the motions. You don't tolerate that as a coach without repercussions and we saw it several times this year.

So if Housley is bad, how did Reinhart get better? Or Nelson?

What's strange about Reinhart is that he started to show something when Jack was out of the lineup, but regressed once Jack was back. Not sure why that is. Jack is Jack and is the sole true talent on this club and he's being wasted so far which is the real shame in all of this. I can't imagine how terrific Jack would be under a decent coach! 

very good point...Q is great when the team is great. You are absolutely correct by saying this team desperately needs someone like babs that gets a lot of mileage out of his players.babs got the same results in detroit as he is getting now...he gets every player to play to their potential. We by comparison have a bunch of guys playing way below their potential and/or are not being used properly. the strength of a good coach is using players to their strengths and not asking them to do something they are not capable of.

So we're in agreement then that Phil isn't that guy?

Some would argue they became All Stars under coach Quenneville's coaching! He won Cups with Anti ######## Niemi as a starter and Corey Crawford (over rated in my opinion) I'll still take him over Phil or Dan or Ron. Quenneville sits ###### in press boxes. Didn't see that with Phil (especially when it came to Kyle, ROR, Reinhart Kane etc. He sat some of our lesser players but not nearly enough, and there were many nights this season that this club went out on the ice and went through the motions. You don't tolerate that as a coach without repercussions and we saw it several times this year.

What's strange about Reinhart is that he started to show something when Jack was out of the lineup, but regressed once Jack was back. Not sure why that is. Jack is Jack and is the sole true talent on this club and he's being wasted so far which is the real shame in all of this. I can't imagine how terrific Jack would be under a decent coach! 

So we're in agreement then that Phil isn't that guy?

Though Reinhart going through another cold stretch corresponded w/ Eichel's return, his emergence came before the high ankle sprain.

Sam defers too much to Jack and feels like he has to play in his shadow, at least my sense, Keep Sam with ROR and tell to foget about his tandem partner. I think both Middi and Alex need to be up next year with CJ. Add Dahlin if possible and keep developing D from later rounds. If no on Dahlin draft best scorer and stay away from reaching on trades. I know we are all butt hurt by this season... but keep away from older vets in trades. Let the younguns grow up.

Edited by North Buffalo

With Jack out Reinhart stepped up and became the team's offensive focal point.  

With Jack back, Sam seemed to slip up for a few games, sort of like the thought that there can only be one "Alpha" on offense.  It's understandable and I see the same fallacy occur a lot in NARP organizations that I work with.

Many employees struggle to do their best work if they are not leading the project or "running the show."  You see this a lot with highly capable, non-dominant personalities.  If thrust into a position when they are running point, they are in a way forced to step up and produce to their potential.  If they are working on a team they tend to let the "loud talker" do their thing and just quietly produce up to expectations but nothing more.  

It takes a certain level of confidence and maturity but these types can learn that even if they aren't top dog, they can still be the most important part of the team.

Here's to Samson realizing that even though this will always be Eichel's team, he should feel empowered to take over a game at every opportunity that he gets.

And I just read the Sabres want Dunleavy back and they're working on a deal. (Rick is doing his usual dramatic "I'll think about it" which he's been doing for decades, but he said he's leaning toward coming back.

This I find depressing. Dunleavy forced me into not listening to Sabres hockey. In my seventy five years and fifty plus listening to sports he is the worst I've had to suffer through. I know there are probably worst but I haven't heard them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.