Moulson waived

pi2000

It was doomed to fail.  You can't completely clear a cupboard and expect things to right themselves.  What followed was inevitable.

Other teams have done it and succeeded. The purpose of the tank was to have the best chance at getting elite talent, which it did.

The problem with the tank isn't that we stripped everything out, it's that the core we got with it (Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, O'Reilly, Kane, Bogosian, Lehner, Okposo sorta) simply isn't good enough. You need depth to make deep playoff runs, but if the top end had delivered better, we wouldn't be in last place.

Whoever you want to blame for that, be it all the players, some of the players, Murray, bad luck, whatever.

Edit: To expand upon this, Eichel was never going to be good enough to do it all himself (to be fair, neither is any hockey player). We needed Risto to be a top pair guy, not a second pair. We needed Reinhart to at least get to a Krejci-level player. We needed *someone* (or three) to be 2nd round or later surprises. And so on.

But guess what? Every rebuild needs these things to get a team to contending status from the bottom of the league. We could have better depth and be absolutely no better off without having filled out the top pair and the top-6 with better players.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Other teams have done it and succeeded. The purpose of the tank was to have the best chance at getting elite talent, which it did.

Though we have to allow for the possibility that the tank achieved it's purpose, yet not success.

But the Sabres could very easily have found themselves in this same position even with some of the same players without the intentional tanking actions. Poor drafting was the current that carried this team downstream.

Edited by Thorny

Though we have to allow for the possibility that the tank achieved it's purpose, yet not success.

Though, the Sabres could very easily have found themselves in this same position even with some of the same players without the intentional tanking actions. Poor drafting was the current that carried this team downstream.

Right. Everyone has such a bitter taste from the tank (understandably so) that everything gets blamed on the decision. But the bottom line is teams that draft poorly for nearly a decade straight suck regardless.

But the Sabres could very easily have found themselves in this same position even with some of the same players without the intentional tanking actions. Poor drafting was the current that carried this team downstream.

True, it achieved it's purpose. Everything after that is what has failed

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I'll ask the question anyway:

Can Reino or Eichel be sent down to Rochester without clearing waivers?

I believe players are waiver eligible after 160 games played. So both Eichel and Reinhart would have to clear.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I'll ask the question anyway:

Can Reino or Eichel be sent down to Rochester without clearing waivers?

I thought third-year pros were exempt, but Thorny may be right.

The only benefit the minors would have for Eichel and Reinhart is getting them away from the current poisonous atmosphere.

But if they aren’t able to persevere through it - it’s absurd to suggest they aren’t NHL players right now - then I don’t want them anyway.

Now we just have to hope he refuses to report and retires. I doubt it will happen, but there's still a chance.

His cap hit is $5m this year and next.    His actual take home pay in the AHL this year is $5m, but next year it's only $3m, so maybe he plays out the year then hangs it up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.