Moulson waived

pi2000

I thought third-year pros were exempt, but Thorny may be right.

The only benefit the minors would have for Eichel and Reinhart is getting them away from the current poisonous atmosphere.

But if they aren’t able to persevere through it - it’s absurd to suggest they aren’t NHL players right now - then I don’t want them anyway.

I think some AHL time would be good for learning some humility and some appreciation for their opportunity to play in the NHL and for the need to play the game the right way in all areas.

Now we just have to hope he refuses to report and retires. I doubt it will happen, but there's still a chance.

His cap hit is $5m this year and next.    His actual take home pay in the AHL this year is $5m, but next year it's only $3m, so maybe he plays out the year then hangs it up.

There is zero possibility of him walking away from $3MM, let alone $8MM.

There is zero possibility of him walking away from $3MM, let alone $8MM.

Some posters here say the darndest things... "he's rich; $3 million isn't that much to him, right?"

Other favorite: "what if he moves to the KHL?"

Yes, he's going to uproot his family, after he just bought a house and settled in an area not to far from where he grew up, to move to the other side of the world where he doesn't know anyone and doesn't speak the language, to play hockey for a couple of years. Why wouldn't he?

Edited by ericcomposer72

Some posters here say the darndest things... "he's rich; $3 million isn't that much to him, right?"

Yes, he's going to uproot his family, after he just bought a house and settled in an area not to far from where he grew up, to move to the other side of the world where he doesn't know anyone and doesn't speak the language, to play hockey for a couple of years. Why wouldn't he?

For the first one, yeah. Maybe after riding the AHL bus for 5 months and taking cheap shots from guys trying to make a name for themselves, he says, "I'm getting too old for this smurf" and retires, leaving 12% of the contract on the table and retires comfortably on the money he has. Does that really seem that impossible?

On the flip side, maybe MM has spent a ton of his money on team dinners and doing the math figures he can't live the life he wants on what he has left and when an offer comes in from Locomotiv METALursk for $5M/yr, he goes for it. Also not impossible.

I think the language barrier might be a deterrent, although many Americans play in the KHL now. Moving and selling a house is part of the biz ... what if Moulson had been traded ? 

Housley on Moulson: "Jason and his agent are working on some options but that's as much as I know at this point." #Sabres 

Interesting

Options? What options are there to discuss? Either he reports or he retires. Or is this one of those "retire and take a front office job" kinda things?

I think the language barrier might be a deterrent, although many Americans play in the KHL now. Moving and selling a house is part of the biz ... what if Moulson had been traded ? 

Oh, and house: I doubt he moves his family. At least I wouldn't unless they want the experience of living abroad.

Options? What options are there to discuss? Either he reports or he retires. Or is this one of those "retire and take a front office job" kinda things?

Why couldn't there be a workable trade for MM where we retain most of the salary ? If a team had claimed him, they would've been responsible for all of his salary for this year. 

Why couldn't there be a workable trade for MM where we retain most of the salary ? If a team had claimed him, they would've been responsible for all of his salary for this year. 

Harrington speculating they may be attempting to work out a trade, yeah I’m laughing as I type this

I just can't see ANYONE actually wanting Moulson to play hockey for them. 

Max retention is 50% per the CBA. Even if we retain half, Moulson stinks bad enough that even at $1.5 million in salary and a $2.5 million cap hit, he's way overpaid for his zero point production. The best we could possibly hope for (other than him choosing to retire after he collects his $1 million signing bonus on July, 1, 2018 is that a team takes him at that point after we retain 50%. At that point the team who takes him would only pay him $1 million for the season and they'd get a $2.5 million cap hit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.