Moulson waived

pi2000

@SabresPR: The Buffalo Sabres today announced that forward Matt Moulson will be placed on waivers at noon for the purpose of assignment.

https://sabresdigitalpressbox.com/2017/12/04/sabres-to-place-moulson-on-waivers/

I really didn't expect this to happen. It doesn't make much difference in terms of cap or pay.

He helps Rochester this way if he clears waivers, right?

That way kids can start rotating up to the big club without Matt in the press box every night.

If he doesn't clear waivers are we sad?

Nobody is going to touch that contract, he's Rochester bound (assuming he chooses to report).

Long overdue.

It makes no difference, right?

Something like the first $800k-ish cap hit is removed, but the remainder of the cap hit remains with the Sabres (so $4.x Million). The new CBA did this to discourage teams from dumping guys in the AHL to get rid of their cap issue. Ott'wa did this to Redden just before the last lockout.

Retirement: anyone know the cap implications if Moulson retires? I know age and contract structure all factor in there.

Maybe he has the rotten attitude 

I would bet he has a professional approach and attitude. He's just shot.

if we're all concerned about the culture inside the locker room, having a guy like Moulson claiming a roster spot over some kid on an ELC who can actually skate has to have been problematic for Botterill and Housley. 

Amen.

I don't think he will report.

Really? That's a pretty hefty check to forego.

Something like the first $800k-ish cap hit is removed, but the remainder of the cap hit remains with the Sabres (so $4.x Million). The new CBA did this to discourage teams from dumping guys in the AHL to get rid of their cap issue. Ott'wa did this to Redden just before the last lockout.

Retirement: anyone know the cap implications if Moulson retires? I know age and contract structure all factor in there.

The cap relief is $950k.  League Minimum plus $375k.

As far as I'm aware there are no implications if he retires, cap recapture only applies to 35+ contracts.

He helps Rochester this way if he clears waivers, right?

That way kids can start rotating up to the big club without Matt in the press box every night.

If he doesn't clear waivers are we sad?

If someone claims him we all dance naked in the streets. Then we should waive Bogosian and see if someone bites.

I don't think he will report.

If he is not picked up (Islanders maybe?) I bet he retires.

If he retires he doesn't get paid. I hope he chooses to do that because then I think we'd get out of his cap hit, but I expect him to go to Rochester and be the rich guy who pays for team dinners.

Bogo is actually trade worthy. We can differ all we want on his value, but there is value.

I agree, but he'll have to play some games first without getting hurt. I was excited to see him under a Housley coached defense but the fact that we were already a quarter way through the season before he even suited up has soured me on him in a straw that broke the camel's back sort of way. I'm ready to move him for whatever we can get and use the cap space elsewhere.

Edited by Drunkard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.