Moulson waived

pi2000

My hope is that MM does so well in Ontario that he impresses the coaches enough that LA wants him. Everybody wins in that scenario. MM is a good guy, love to see him finish out on top. 

Is that a scenario that could play out? The Sabres loaned him to the Kings affiliate. If the Kings wanted him they'd essentially have to trade for him and take on the contract (or at least 50% of it if Buffalo agrees to eat some). Looking at the Kings on Cap Friendly it doesn't look like they can afford MM as is.

I think this is correct, he's still Sabres property unless the Kings work some sort of trade. In theory Buffalo could recall him and the Kings pick him up on waivers, but I have to think the Kings would rather trade a 7th round pick for the Sabres taking 50% of the salary though.

There are no re-entry waivers anymore. That ended with the current CBA. Waiver eligible players have to pass through waivers on their way down but once they clear there are no waivers on the way back up.

Whoops!

No worries, man. I learned that from reading this board so I figured I should pass it along. I still think our best chance to get out from under Moulson's contract will be for him to retire after he gets his $1 million signing bonus on July 1, 2018. At that point he's only leaving $2 million of his $25 million contract on the table and it will save him a full year of riding busses and crappy charter flights in the AHL.

No team will take on his $5m/yr salary.    BUF is stuck with that contract.. the only hope is he retires after this season, but I wouldn't bet on it....   Also, I find it interesting that Cody Hodgson's cap hit will go up to $800k/yr from 2019-2023.   Seems like a long time.

No worries, man. I learned that from reading this board so I figured I should pass it along. I still think our best chance to get out from under Moulson's contract will be for him to retire after he gets his $1 million signing bonus on July 1, 2018. At that point he's only leaving $2 million of his $25 million contract on the table and it will save him a full year of riding busses and crappy charter flights in the AHL.

Why would he do that if he's still in good shape and can make $5 mil playing in SoCal ? He'll only be 34 y.o. - extra $2 mil would go a long way if invested properly. And after next year, he could probably go play in Europe for $1m a season or so. 

Why would he do that if he's still in good shape and can make $5 mil playing in SoCal ? He'll only be 34 y.o. - extra $2 mil would go a long way if invested properly. And after next year, he could probably go play in Europe for $1m a season or so. 

It's mostly wishful thinking on my end. He won't make $5 million regardless though, that's just his cap hit. He makes $3 million total next year if he plays all year. Or he can make $1 million to hang around until July 1st then retire afterwards.

Personally I'd never walk away from $2 million but I've also never made tens of millions of dollars in my career like he has. Lots of pro athletes retire before their contracts expire though so it's not like him doing it would be unprecedented. And while the odds may be slim they've got to be infinitely higher than some NHL team actually trading for him.

It's mostly wishful thinking on my end. He won't make $5 million regardless though, that's just his cap hit. He makes $3 million total next year if he plays all year. Or he can make $1 million to hang around until July 1st then retire afterwards.

Personally I'd never walk away from $2 million but I've also never made tens of millions of dollars in my career like he has. Lots of pro athletes retire before their contracts expire though so it's not like him doing it would be unprecedented. And while the odds may be slim they've got to be infinitely higher than some NHL team actually trading for him.

My bad on the salary ... I'd never walk away from $2m either if I was 34 and didn't know what my future held. Or he could take the $1mil as you say, retire, and possibly sign in the KHL/Europe for more than $2m and for a longer term. I'm guessing he plays out 2018-19 in the minors for the $3mil.

and possibly sign in the KHL/Europe for more than $2m and for a longer term.

If he takes the signing bonus, then retires, he'll have made roughly 37mil in his NHL career. Unless he's blown through everything and has a complete moron handling his money, I say relocating to another continent is not something a person in his situation considers.

If he takes the signing bonus, then retires, he'll have made roughly 37mil in his NHL career. Unless he's blown through everything and has a complete moron handling his money, I say relocating to another continent is not something a person in his situation considers.

Perhaps not ... depends how much he wants to play hockey.

From The Athletic.

After a recent meeting between Matt Moulson and Jason Botterill, the Sabres general manager delivered some surprising news. Though it was neither shocking that the team had decided to waive Moulson — not after being a regular healthy scratch — nor that he cleared waivers, he wasn’t expecting to be packing up his things for a cross-country commute.

Had he been assigned to the Sabres AHL franchise, the Rochester Americans, Moulson could have kept his family — wife Alicia; 5-year-old daughter, Mila; and 4-year-old son, George — in their Buffalo-area home and driven back and forth as needed.

It’s roughly 74 miles.

But the Sabres suggested a new start for Moulson. The team wanted its young prospects to get ample ice time in Rochester. According to Moulson, the organization didn't want him to feel “uncomfortable” that he wouldn't be getting much. So they decided he’d be better off with the Ontario Reign, the affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings

Moulson wasn’t in on the decision and he wasn’t getting playing time in Rochester either

Also he is feels he has a lot of hockey left, doubt he retires after this year.

His family is moving to California and he will be a ten minute walk from the Quick’s

From The Athletic.

After a recent meeting between Matt Moulson and Jason Botterill, the Sabres general manager delivered some surprising news. Though it was neither shocking that the team had decided to waive Moulson — not after being a regular healthy scratch — nor that he cleared waivers, he wasn’t expecting to be packing up his things for a cross-country commute.

Had he been assigned to the Sabres AHL franchise, the Rochester Americans, Moulson could have kept his family — wife Alicia; 5-year-old daughter, Mila; and 4-year-old son, George — in their Buffalo-area home and driven back and forth as needed.

It’s roughly 74 miles.

But the Sabres suggested a new start for Moulson. The team wanted its young prospects to get ample ice time in Rochester. According to Moulson, the organization didn't want him to feel “uncomfortable” that he wouldn't be getting much. So they decided he’d be better off with the Ontario Reign, the affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings

Moulson wasn’t in on the decision and he wasn’t getting playing time in Rochester either

His family is moving to California and he will be a ten minute walk from the Quick’s

Definitely cold and calculating yet simultaneously respectful and trying to be accommodating.   

Am I the only one that thinks it is bad form, to say the least, if the Sabres did not talk with Matt about being assigned to California?

I was initially of that mind, and then I realized- they're paying him more than 2x what any NHL team thinks he's worth. He's not earning his money as a hockey player, so they shouldn't feel bad about shipping him anywhere for the money they're paying him. You only control your own destiny when you produce what's expected of you, and I'm sure Matt gets that and accepts that.

Edited by erickompositör72

Is that a scenario that could play out? The Sabres loaned him to the Kings affiliate. If the Kings wanted him they'd essentially have to trade for him and take on the contract (or at least 50% of it if Buffalo agrees to eat some). Looking at the Kings on Cap Friendly it doesn't look like they can afford MM as is.

Chances are very slim, especially this year. But It could happen next year, with the Sabres eating Salary.

From The Athletic.

It’s roughly 74 miles.

I wouldn't see Moulson driving back and forth from Rochester each day to be part of the Amerks.  He'd need a place to stay in Rochester for game days, etc.  There's a difference when you drive back and forth for a 9-10 hour workday.  I think what Botterill did shows some real thinking and understanding of the player and the impact on the family. 

Moulson can feel he has a lot of hockey left but it doesn't appear to translate to it on the Sabres.  It's possible a different team can use him in a way that makes him more productive, but it's unlikely.

@BillHoppeNHL
In his first AHL appearances since April 11, 2009, Matt Moulson had three assists in two games with the Ontario Reign over the weekend. #Sabres

"WOW!  He obviously got the message.... Call him up!" - JBOTs probably

Edited by paj två tusen

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.