DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

exactly, its not a race issue, he has a reputation because of things he did in the past and that may follow him his entire career. What we know is just what leaks out or is reported, its possible that there's more to it or that it's all BS. But at this time, GMs are going to be hesitant taking a risk on him and giving up assetts if therea a chance that the move could disrupt the lockerroom

As for the comparisons to the other Kane, one is considered and elite talent, the other just a good to really good player. You may be willing to put up with more because the talent level is elite then for someone who is good/really good. If Evander played as well as Patrick, there would be a higher demand even with the off ice issues (and his issues seem to be more off ice stuff then lockerroom/on ice issues). Evander has had some issues with both

If anyone thinks race did not factor in to his experience in Winnipeg, I can tell you first hand, assuredly, that’s wrong.

Please don't post his tweets if he's just making ###### up like that as he goes.

Him and Glen Healy (tool) spent 5 minutes ripping him as a cancer on Sportsnet Radio last week. They are both clueless.

If it's one of the top three prospects league wide, sure, I'll do it.

There are way more than 3 prospects in this league that hold more value than a late first round pick. I understand the sentiment of holding firm on a set price, but there are dozen of prospects that are worth more and (more importantly) will be ready to contribute sooner than some 17/18 year old kid that gets drafted 27th overall this June.

Edited by Alkoholist

If anyone thinks race did not factor in to his experience in Winnipeg, I can tell you first hand, assuredly, that’s wrong.

Winnipeg is viewed as the most racist city in Canada and for good reason.

While I believe you are correct it did impact Kane's experiences in the Peg and probably Atlanta before that, I do not recall any stories about Big Buf's experiences in that regard in either city.

All that said, Winnipeg's racism tends to focus on the large indigenous population there.

But "there is a belief" makes it seem like it's a growing sentiment. If it's from a single source, it should be reported as such. I don't think the reporters are useless like Flagg does, but Shannon definitely screwed the pooch here.

You’re right, but a belief can describe a single person ;) Edited by Brawndo

If offering an opinion is trolling then what are you all doing?

I definitely think Kane being black is a huge reason his transgressions linger while, as Sabel79 points out, the white Kane's foibles are quickly forgotten. Could also be a reason why others see him as smug. Please point to an occasion when EKane was smug. I seemed to miss that.

I'm sorry, but do you not accuse pretty much everyone with a negative opinion of Kane of being racist?

Because that's my recollection.

And I say this as someone who has no problem calling out racist stuff when I see it. 

I'm seeing a tweet saying "Lehner has made it known to management that he wants to be traded today"

Gonna be real awkward when he finds out he's valueless.

All right, you gotta post those tweets or identify the twatter when you see them...

I'm seeing a tweet saying "Lehner has made it known to management that he wants to be traded today"

Gonna be real awkward when he finds out he's valueless.

Wawrow and Hamilton Tweeted to effect that they spoke with him in past 24 hours, and that it's totally false that he has requested a trade. On the contrary, he said to Hamilton that he wants to be here to help turn things around.  :unsure:

Wawrow and Hamilton Tweeted to effect that they spoke with him in past 24 hours, and that it's totally false that he has requested a trade. On the contrary, he said to Hamilton that he wants to be here to help turn things around.  :unsure:

He can drive the Zamboni.  That turns.

I'm sorry, but do you not accuse pretty much everyone with a negative opinion of Kane of being racist?

Because that's my recollection.

And I say this as someone who has no problem calling out racist stuff when I see it.

There's a difference between overt racism and coded responses to players of color. Pointing it out is valid criticism. And I'm not the only one who believes it.

Oh, FFS.

Kane had not one but TWO scrapes with the law relating to assaulting women.  It's reasonably likely that he was innocent on both occasions, but also reasonably likely that he wasn't.  We're in the middle of a national upheaval relating to sexual assault and harassment. 

Add to that (i) problems with teammates in Winnipeg, (ii) limitations in his game, (iii) zero playoff experience, (iv) injury history and (v) only getting him for 20-odd games plus playoffs before he's a UFA -- and that's why his value isn't where it might otherwise be.

I also seem to recall Iginla and Seth Jones and PK Subban and Oduya garnering good returns in trade.

These GMs are paid to win games and playoff series, and get canned when they don't -- not to propagate racism.

Gotta say, I find Straw to be rather reliable for a guy who mostly writes about video games and WWE.  I also think he participates here.  Wonder what he heard and from whom.

No idea who he is, but I sympathize with his position (as a non-MSM reporter who's getting dogged for being a blogger).

Fwiw - Lehner himself tells Hamilton "I don't want to be traded." Okay. But Straw doesn't say Lehner is his source. Says he has two sources. And Lehner may have reasons for wanting to deny that he made a request.

Oh, FFS.

Kane had not one but TWO scrapes with the law relating to assaulting women.  It's reasonably likely that he was innocent on both occasions, but also reasonably likely that he wasn't.  We're in the middle of a national upheaval relating to sexual assault and harassment. 

Add to that (i) problems with teammates in Winnipeg, (ii) limitations in his game, (iii) zero playoff experience, (iv) injury history and (v) only getting him for 20-odd games plus playoffs before he's a UFA -- and that's why his value isn't where it might otherwise be.

I also seem to recall Iginla and Seth Jones and PK Subban and Oduya garnering good returns in trade.

These GMs are paid to win games and playoff series, and get canned when they don't -- not to propagate racism.

In theory, it's a fair criticism to claim that a GM's unacknowledged racism can cloud a clear assessment of who and what a player is.

I'm just unconvinced that's what's going on here, for the reasons you've detailed.