DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Oh, FFS.

Kane had not one but TWO scrapes with the law relating to assaulting women. It's reasonably likely that he was innocent on both occasions, but also reasonably likely that he wasn't. We're in the middle of a national upheaval relating to sexual assault and harassment.

Add to that (i) problems with teammates in Winnipeg, (ii) limitations in his game, (iii) zero playoff experience, (iv) injury history and (v) only getting him for 20-odd games plus playoffs before he's a UFA -- and that's why his value isn't where it might otherwise be.

I also seem to recall Iginla and Seth Jones and PK Subban and Oduya garnering good returns in trade.

These GMs are paid to win games and playoff series, and get canned when they don't -- not to propagate racism.

Pshh, Shea Weber sucks. :P

I'm still looking to see who called Kane "smug" to begin with and I don't see it.  What the hell started this today?

Sorry for the poor multiquote format.

Here's how the overall issue was first raised.

I'm going to say it. Kane is held to a different standard because he's black. How long has it been since the Winnipeg nonsense?

And then in response to something d4rk posted (which I have had dropped from my multiquote for some reason), there was this from Promo:

I definitely think Kane being black is a huge reason his transgressions linger while, as Sabel79 points out, the white Kane's foibles are quickly forgotten. Could also be a reason why others see him as smug. Please point to an occasion when EKane was smug. I seemed to miss that.

So, Promo was the one who raised it as an issue. Said that "others" call Kane smug. No one on here, though. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

We can still call Smolinski smug though, right?

Are the Blues buyers?

They dumped Statsny 20 minutes ago.

That was my point. Maybe they are effectively trading their UFA (Stastny) for a UFA they like better (Kane) Edited by Mick O’Manly

We can still call Smolinski smug though, right?

That was my point. Maybe they are effectively trading their UFA (Stastny) for a UFA they like better (Kane)

Especially since one of the hang ups with a potential trade with the Blues was their lack of a 1st round pick this year. Now they have that (WPG 1st) if that is the price for Kane.

kanes issues have been more behind the scenes lockerroom issues then stuff outside of it. In Winnipeg one of the leaders of the team who IIRC is black or at least part black, was the one taking issue with him, and they haven't had issues with him in Winnepeg. As for Atlanta, I can't picture that city having a racist view of a black player.

As for the comparisons to the other Kane, as I mentioned previously, he is o e of the elite talented players in the league, and his issues are away from the ice, I don't recall hearing problems in the lockerroom from other teammates about him. Teams and media/fans seem more forgiving of issues when the player is of elite talent. Evander has never been in the level of elite NHL talent. If his issues were only off ice stuff and he was elite, teams wouldn't be as hesitant as they are now because his talent may not be enough to overcome a possible disturbance that may happen in the lockerroom.

A team looking to trade for him today is not likely looking at him to fill one of their top spots like a team that would be willing to trade for the other Kane. So it's not fair to compare the 2 and say it's a race issue

But is he really?  You look at his career stats, .6 points per game isnt elite, not in my opinion anyway.  Never above 60 points a season, granted he never plays an 82 game season, and even if he did, his career avg says he'd have 49 points in an 82 pt season.  Elite players can take over a game, or multiple games over a period of time, how many games can we say that Kane has done that?  He's generally a 20 goal scorer, is that the magic number to be considered elite?  

The next contract Kane gets will be a vast overpayment, he's borderline worth his current salary, glad GMJB is trying to move on from him.

But is he really?  You look at his career stats, .6 points per game isnt elite, not in my opinion anyway.  Never above 60 points a season, granted he never plays an 82 game season, and even if he did, his career avg says he'd have 49 points in an 82 pt season.  Elite players can take over a game, or multiple games over a period of time, how many games can we say that Kane has done that?  He's generally a 20 goal scorer, is that the magic number to be considered elite?  

The next contract Kane gets will be a vast overpayment, he's borderline worth his current salary, glad GMJB is trying to move on from him.

Wrong Kane. He was talking about Patrick Kane.

Cold eyed rational assessment. Thank you. 

If we get a 1st rounder or top prospect for Kane I'll be happy.