DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

If Kane isn't traded and the result is the Sabres sign him at a decent but not crazy salary, I'd be okay with that.

To your points:

. He does give that impression, and after some early missteps with the Sabres, he's really cleaned up his act.  He's also done a lot of charitable work in the Buffalo area.  He may be a better fit in Buffalo than most other cities, where even his swagger can appeal to a city that hasn't had much to brag about in sports for years.

. Not standard issue hockey material, but used correctly that can be an advantage.  He's consistently put forth a top effort even when the rest of the team is having a meh night.

. Avery seemed to intentionally seek out controversy and didn't know how and when to keep his yap shut, and it seemed to get worse with time.  With Kane it seems more like a maturity issue and his behavior is improving (this is my perception but I don't see Buffalo media regularly, so maybe that's not a valid one).

EK was more immature years ago, not dismissing his actions completely, but he has appeared to mature at least to the level to stay out of trouble.

EK will be the posterboy for what went wrong here, but in most part, unfairly: EK didn't give up a Moulson contract. He didn't agree to take Bogo and his terrible contract for someone who can't stay healthy. EK didn't pass on Sergachev.

Many other factors out of EK's control led to this mess.

I don't know if it's going to be foolishly overpegged. As the team looking to sell JBots should be setting a high asking price to begin with. Just as I'm sure he will receive some lowball offers. At the end of the day it will likely be something in between. Sounds like the price seems to have 'dropped' from a 1st and a mid level prospect to a second and better prospect. Is that even less value? With the team trading for him likely picking 25+ in the draft, I think I would rather the better prospect and 2nd round pick myself.

The price doesn't drop until demand wanes.  I cannot believe demand has waned, but rather the perceived value is low.  That is something the Sabres PR department should have been on since January.  B&G special marketing him to NHLN.  A community award.  Stuff to create a "we love this guy but can't afford him.  But we aren't selling low," type of thing.  

It sure makes it fun but I'm in agreement with whomever said the 'insiders' and speculation coming out is really just garbage and noise. These guys are either being fed info by teams to drive up/down price or they are telling us info that is so vague there's no way they can be proven wrong.

It sure makes it fun but I'm in agreement with whomever said the 'insiders' and speculation coming out is really just garbage and noise. These guys are either being fed info by teams to drive up/down price or they are telling us info that is so vague there's no way they can be proven wrong.

They're mostly just making the same predictions that people here have been making all year. 

From John Shannon re: Kane

There is still an expectation that he will be dealt...but the price won't be as high as expected.

He should just report that he will be traded and for as much as people expect now, just to make sure he's reporting every possible outcome.

I have no idea what this means because expectations have been so all over the board recently.

Some one tweeted at him, saying his original report about Kane possibility not being traded has Buffalo Sports Fans losing their collective minds, that was Shannon’s Response

This has nothing to do with race. and when GMs are trying to make their team better for a cup run the only time Kanes past comes into play is during negotiations. These guys would sign Ted friggin Bundy if he could score 25-30 goals in season.

exactly, its not a race issue, he has a reputation because of things he did in the past and that may follow him his entire career. What we know is just what leaks out or is reported, its possible that there's more to it or that it's all BS. But at this time, GMs are going to be hesitant taking a risk on him and giving up assetts if therea a chance that the move could disrupt the lockerroom

As for the comparisons to the other Kane, one is considered and elite talent, the other just a good to really good player. You may be willing to put up with more because the talent level is elite then for someone who is good/really good. If Evander played as well as Patrick, there would be a higher demand even with the off ice issues (and his issues seem to be more off ice stuff then lockerroom/on ice issues). Evander has had some issues with both

Please don't post his tweets if he's just making ###### up like that as he goes.

This is trade deadline day... all the news that's fit to print... even if it's not news.. or fit to print.  :)  Don't hold SabreSpacers to a higher standard than the sports media!  :)

This is trade deadline day... all the news that's fit to print... even if it's not news.. or fit to print.  :)  Don't hold SabreSpacers to a higher standard than the sports media!  :)

Hold on I am just creating my fake Bob McKenzie twitter account... :w00t: :w00t:

Please don't post his tweets if he's just making ###### up like that as he goes.

This is the speculation thread and Shannon, Dreger, McKenzie, Friedman do something on a daily basis that 99% of the posters on this board do not, talk with NHL GMs. If any of them consistently made up they wouldn’t have a job. Does a large majority of what they say not come true, sure but that information is coming from NHL Front Offices