DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Winnipeg is viewed as the most racist city in Canada and for good reason.While I believe you are correct it did impact Kane's experiences in the Peg and probably Atlanta before that, I do not recall any stories about Big Buf's experiences in that regard in either city.All that said, Winnipeg's racism tends to focus on the large indigenous population there.

Yes.

I'm sorry, but do you not accuse pretty much everyone with a negative opinion of Kane of being racist?

Because that's my recollection.

And I say this as someone who has no problem calling out racist stuff when I see it.

This is important to keep in mind. There are plenty of reasons why Kane may be looked down on as a player in a particular person’s eyes that don’t have to do with race.

At this point, just take a 2nd rounder, a decent prospect and be done with it. Nash has way more value with another year on his deal so I don't expect anything near what NY got.

Nash is a UFA.

Oh, FFS.

Kane had not one but TWO scrapes with the law relating to assaulting women.  It's reasonably likely that he was innocent on both occasions, but also reasonably likely that he wasn't.  We're in the middle of a national upheaval relating to sexual assault and harassment. 

Add to that (i) problems with teammates in Winnipeg, (ii) limitations in his game, (iii) zero playoff experience, (iv) injury history and (v) only getting him for 20-odd games plus playoffs before he's a UFA -- and that's why his value isn't where it might otherwise be.

I also seem to recall Iginla and Seth Jones and PK Subban and Oduya garnering good returns in trade.

These GMs are paid to win games and playoff series, and get canned when they don't -- not to propagate racism.

And this, too.

I don’t think his race has anything to do with his deadline value. It was definitely a contributing issue in Winnipeg though, I can say that confidently.

At this point, just take a 2nd rounder, a decent prospect and be done with it. Nash has way more value with another year on his deal so I don't expect anything near what NY got.

Nash has the same term as Kane.

Winnipeg is viewed as the most racist city in Canada and for good reason.While I believe you are correct it did impact Kane's experiences in the Peg and probably Atlanta before that, I do not recall any stories about Big Buf's experiences in that regard in either city.All that said, Winnipeg's racism tends to focus on the large indigenous population there.

kanes issues have been more behind the scenes lockerroom issues then stuff outside of it. In Winnipeg one of the leaders of the team who IIRC is black or at least part black, was the one taking issue with him, and they haven't had issues with him in Winnepeg. As for Atlanta, I can't picture that city having a racist view of a black player.

As for the comparisons to the other Kane, as I mentioned previously, he is o e of the elite talented players in the league, and his issues are away from the ice, I don't recall hearing problems in the lockerroom from other teammates about him. Teams and media/fans seem more forgiving of issues when the player is of elite talent. Evander has never been in the level of elite NHL talent. If his issues were only off ice stuff and he was elite, teams wouldn't be as hesitant as they are now because his talent may not be enough to overcome a possible disturbance that may happen in the lockerroom.

A team looking to trade for him today is not likely looking at him to fill one of their top spots like a team that would be willing to trade for the other Kane. So it's not fair to compare the 2 and say it's a race issue

Aivis Kalniņš Retweeted Mike Straw

Can confirm that Lehner has made a formal trade request.

Interesting think is that we'll likely never know the truth here.

That came from Mike Straw; Wawrow and Harrington are refuting that.  https://twitter.com/ByMHarrington/status/968161201141231624

Edited by IKnowPhysics