DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

I be w/ Randy on that one. Initially thought C of Red was for the friggin' Candy Canes. (Western Conference, Western Conference, we don' need no steeking Western Conference.)

Yeah, at first I was picturing all red teams that would make sense, and Calgary has that trashy black that they added for no good reason, so I went through like four teams before getting to them. Plus I moved east to west.

------------------------------------

Avatar is one of the most brilliant humans who ever lived, in an ironic photo, hahah please don't compare trashy me to Fermi 

Talk about an obvious ploy to get Botterill to lower his price. Anyway, Kane is moving today. There's no way he's still a Sabre tomorrow.

This. And if he is, it better be with a signed contract.

Otherwise Botterill isn’t what I think he is.

Talk about an obvious ploy to get Botterill to lower his price. Anyway, Kane is moving today. There's no way he's still a Sabre tomorrow.

Agreed

From Craig Custance

1. The return for Nash applies some pressure on Buffalo in the Sabres search to maximize the return for Evander Kane. On some level it set the price on a rental winger, so you’d expect the Sabres not to move too far off that deal as the asking price, including a first rounder. But there was some skepticism in the marketplace on Sunday that the Sabres were going to get a first-round pick in a deal for Kane. “I have a hard time believing they will,” said one potential interested party. A more realistic expectation might be a second-round pick and a higher caliber prospect.

2. Fair or not, part of the reason that Kane might have a hard time getting the return Nash received, despite more goals and assists, is the perception that Nash will fit in better with teammates. There is already a high amount of risk that goes into making a trade deadline deal on a rental, whether it be injury or early playoff exit, so general managers aren’t eager to take on any extra risk. The way his time in Winnipeg went down still weighs on the mind of acquiring teams, although this time of year, it all might be an attempt to drive down the asking price. It’s believed that the Flames and Sharks remain among those interested. Depending on how impressed Ducks GM Bob Murray has been with his team’s play of late, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Anaheim in the mix.

3. So what does that all mean? Kane might be a candidate to provide good value if teams remain hesitant. “If I was interested, I would stick around on this one to the end,” said one source. “I’m pretty sure he’s going to be traded. If you’re willing to do a second and a prospect, I might stick around.” If the asking price comes down, that opens the market a little bit beyond the aggressive buyers and could mean he ends up on a bubble team trying to make a playoff push rather than a bonafide Stanley Cup contender. One source suggested that a short-term push would be a smart calculated gamble on Kane for that type of team. “I think Evander for the next month and a half will do nothing but try and play hockey and do good things,” said the NHL source. “I just don’t see a team paying a price like Boston paid for Rick Nash.”

John Shannon mentioned that there is a belief that Evander Kane will not be moved today....Sigh

https://twitter.com/jeremywgr/status/968117914015535104

Yeah - it's maddening to hear that as a Sabres fan, but, given that it's trade deadline day, there is NO WAY that isn't "information" planted from another GM.

OTOH, I do think JBOTS' alleged opening asking price for Kane is going to be shown to have been foolishly over-pegged.

Agreed

From Craig Custance

1. The return for Nash applies some pressure on Buffalo in the Sabres search to maximize the return for Evander Kane. On some level it set the price on a rental winger, so you’d expect the Sabres not to move too far off that deal as the asking price, including a first rounder. But there was some skepticism in the marketplace on Sunday that the Sabres were going to get a first-round pick in a deal for Kane. “I have a hard time believing they will,” said one potential interested party. A more realistic expectation might be a second-round pick and a higher caliber prospect.

2. Fair or not, part of the reason that Kane might have a hard time getting the return Nash received, despite more goals and assists, is the perception that Nash will fit in better with teammates. There is already a high amount of risk that goes into making a trade deadline deal on a rental, whether it be injury or early playoff exit, so general managers aren’t eager to take on any extra risk. The way his time in Winnipeg went down still weighs on the mind of acquiring teams, although this time of year, it all might be an attempt to drive down the asking price. It’s believed that the Flames and Sharks remain among those interested. Depending on how impressed Ducks GM Bob Murray has been with his team’s play of late, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Anaheim in the mix.

3. So what does that all mean? Kane might be a candidate to provide good value if teams remain hesitant. “If I was interested, I would stick around on this one to the end,” said one source. “I’m pretty sure he’s going to be traded. If you’re willing to do a second and a prospect, I might stick around.” If the asking price comes down, that opens the market a little bit beyond the aggressive buyers and could mean he ends up on a bubble team trying to make a playoff push rather than a bonafide Stanley Cup contender. One source suggested that a short-term push would be a smart calculated gamble on Kane for that type of team. “I think Evander for the next month and a half will do nothing but try and play hockey and do good things,” said the NHL source. “I just don’t see a team paying a price like Boston paid for Rick Nash.”

I'm going to say it. Kane is held to a different standard because he's black. How long has it been since the Winnipeg nonsense?

Big day, I can't wait to see the deals start rolling in. It kind of has a Christmas morning feeling. I'm excited with anticipation. JBotts please don't let me down.

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :rolleyes:

I'm going to say it. Kane is held to a different standard because he's black. How long has it been since the Winnipeg nonsense?

I was thinking the same thing as I read that post. He's been a good and productive teammate during his time as a Sabres. Its unfortunate that race seems to be playing into that narrative.

Agreed

From Craig Custance

That's like... Verbatim what I've been saying on this board for months.

I don't know if it's going to be foolishly overpegged. As the team looking to sell JBots should be setting a high asking price to begin with. Just as I'm sure he will receive some lowball offers. At the end of the day it will likely be something in between. Sounds like the price seems to have 'dropped' from a 1st and a mid level prospect to a second and better prospect. Is that even less value? With the team trading for him likely picking 25+ in the draft, I think I would rather the better prospect and 2nd round pick myself.

Kane is held to a different standard not because of his heritage, but because he was a club house cancer in Wpg and followed that up with bad behavior as soon as he got to Buffalo.

I don't know if it's going to be foolishly overpegged. As the team looking to sell JBots should be setting a high asking price to begin with. Just as I'm sure he will receive some lowball offers. At the end of the day it will likely be something in between. Sounds like the price seems to have 'dropped' from a 1st and a mid level prospect to a second and better prospect. Is that even less value? With the team trading for him likely picking 25+ in the draft, I think I would rather the better prospect and 2nd round pick myself.

I agree with the 2nd and a better prospect. Shoot I'd throw in some picks with kane to get the best prospect i could.