What Should The Sabres Goals Be For The Rest of The Season?

GASabresIUFAN

Start playing on your toes more than your heels. Fail fabulously trying..

Play with effort and show some energy,

Play with enthusiasm,

Play the body not the stick check whiffs we have seen,

Practice "to their arms fall off" passing till you can finally hit the tape over 50% of the time,

Practice " " shots hitting the net

Practice " " One timers instead of always trying to settle the puck before shooting.

Practice " " moving up the ice as one unit with multiple options for the basic forecheck systems most teams use. 

Set your lines and let them play together for more than one game minimum of 5 games or even the 7 game blocks Phil said he broke the season into.  

Find another goalie.... 

True/Brawndo? Either way they mentioned corsica as a good site for advanced stats (this site is horribly mangled. whoever wrote it should be dragged outside and shot ...good stats though)

With that in mind, we're actually improving. A little bit here and there, but we're improving

All stats at ES

Last Year:

CF% = 47.34, 29th

This Year: (Keep in mind there is one more team)

CF% = 48.31, 22nd

I'd pay to get Flagg to do another neutral zone analysis like he did last year.

Hey Flagg, quit your book learning and come help us

Know what's funny? It used to be worse. The owner took it down this summer for a complete re-write.

#1: Trading Evander Kane: while being creative as some articles have shown (Yahoo etc) and getting the best mix of futures; ie picks, prospect. 

#2: Scouring the college hockey free agent pool and adding as many realistic options as possible.  

#3:  Being creative and finding a way to trade at least one dead space contract (see: Moulson, Okposo, Bogosian). 

#4: Under no circumstances do you trade #15.  Trading #23 is much more realistic.  

Housley can only be as strong as his team.  He's a first time head coach.  He's positive.  If you fire him this early into his first contract, you're selling a message to the rest of the league about how not to run a franchise.

Good post.

• 1 month later...

Curious of others goals for he remainder of season

Would you prefer :

1) Sabres play the rest of the season at a 100 point pace over 82 games (1.22 points per game). They would end the season with 82 points. They would probably pass Ottawa, MTL, Vancouver, Edmonton and Detroit finishing 8th last. most likely drafting 7th, 8th or 9th

2) play at a . 500 pace over to he remainder of season - ending year with 72 points. Here, we could pass Ottawa and Montreal - finishing 4th last and drafting anywhere from 1 to 7

3) play at current pace - finish 2nd last with 62 points. Drafting anywhere from 1 to 5

4) completely fall off the rails and finish last, draft no worse than 4th and have highest odds to land Dahlin.

I wouldn't want this team to Tank into last place (I know some will be surprised) but I think it's really important to draft 1 of the top 5 prospects who seemed to have separated from the pack. I would actually choose option 2 and hope to finish behind Montreal or Ottawa then pray to all the Gods to remain in a top 5 draft slot

And ride that into next season. A V2.0 of the Brier Drury team that caught fire at the end of a season and continued to burn the next season all the way to the ECF.

I like this. My thoughts have been “we’ved“ and the tapestry looks like this.

I want improvement and development game to game. Draft picks are important. However, I want lesser picks arriving at a better destination more than I want better picks arriving at a lesser destination.

Edited by neo

I would blow up the ENTIRE franchise:

1. Trade Evander Kane. Get 2-3 strong assets back especially on defense.

2. Fire Housley. This guy makes me miss Bylsma, and that speaks VOLUMES

3. Call me nuts: Trade #15 and get a real TEAM here top to bottom. There is something about Jack that says to be 'diva' If there was a cant pass up package available for Jack Eichel  I would explore it.

You're nuts - not kidding

And ride that into next season. A V2.0 of the Brier Drury team that caught fire at the end of a season and continued to burn the next season all the way to the ECF.

That team in 2005-06 reached the conference finals that season and the following season Woulda/shoulda won the cup if it wasn't for all the injuries on D.

Or do you mean the hot end of the 03-04 season?

Edited by Crusader1969

That team in 2005-06 reached the conference finals that season and the following season Woulda/shoulda won the cup if it wasn't for all the injuries on D.

Or do you mean the hot end of the 03-04 season?

It was the 05/06 team that came down with the rash of injuries.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

I started this thread over a month ago and the situation hasn’t really changed much except they have been consistently move competitive in recent weeks. They still aren’t winning, but they seem to be in every game. This is a huge positive sign.

In fact we were 5-13-4 when (14 pts) when I started this thread and are now 10-20-9 (which means we have earned 15pts in 17 games since the thread was started), yet remain in 30th place in the NHL. Can’t have better proof that we are more competitive, but still aren’t winning.

I’m actually content with this. I like that we are playing well enough to make watching the games mostly enjoyable, and I like that certain players, like Jack, are stepping up and playing better. The advanced stats back up the eye test. I also like that we remain locked in for a top 5 pick. Dahlin, Tkachuk, Zadina or the Russian might be able to help us as early as next season or 2019 at the latest. We desperately need the talent.

A newcomer to our site mentioned a possible 13 player turnover this off-season. I wrote something similar last off-season and also got roundly criticized. We opened this year with 10 new players. While we likely won’t see as big a turnover, the seeds are there for more sweeping change.

1. Moulson already gone, replaced by Wilson, who also might not be retained.

2 & 3. Both goalies are FAs unlikely to be retained. Lehner should be traded by the deadline.I expect Ullmark and a vet to be our tandem next season.

4. Kane, UFA, an almost certain deadline trade

5 - 9. UFAs Josefson, Nolan, Gorges, Falk, and Pouliot. Anyone want any of them back other then Pouliot, who might be dealt at the deadline?

10 & 11. RFa’s Antipin and Reinhart. Cases can be made to keep both or trade both. I’m currently in the keep both camp, but if the right deal for Reinhart came along, I’m willing to listen.

12 & 13. Larsson and Girgensons. Both have some trade value and one more year on their deals. Have either proven they are part of the solution? I actually expect both back for next year because of their cheap contracts, but one or both could be traded if Jbot finds the right upgrade.

14, 15 & 16. Baloo has been a failure, Bogo and Okposo have albatross contracts. I actually like Okposo and don’t think he’ll be moved, but the other 2?

With Mittelstadt, Guhle, Ullmark and CJ Smith pushing up from Roch and college, that is 4 spots that need to be opened up. We could easily see another 4-6 changes especially when you consider how lousy are bottom 2 forward lines are.

Edited by Georgia Flakt

I started this thread over a month ago and the situation hasn’t really changed much except they have been consistently move competitive in recent weeks. They still aren’t winning, but they seem to be in every game. This is a huge positive sign.

In fact we were 5-13-4 when (14 pts) when I started this thread and are now 10-20-9 (which means we have earned 15pts in 17 games since the thread was started), yet remain in 30th place in the NHL. Can’t have better proof that we are more competitive, but still aren’t winning.

I’m actually content with this. I like that we are playing well enough to make watching the games mostly enjoyable, and I like that certain players, like Jack, are stepping up and playing better. The advanced stats back up the eye test. I also like that we remain locked in for a top 5 pick. Dahlin, Tkachuk, Zadina or the Russian might be able to help us as early as next season or 2019 at the latest. We desperately need the talent.

A newcomer to our site mentioned a possible 13 player turnover this off-season. I wrote something similar last off-season and also got roundly criticized. We opened this year with 10 new players. While we likely won’t see as big a turnover, the seeds are there for more sweeping change.

1. Moulson already gone, replaced by Wilson, who also might not be retained.

2 & 3. Both goalies are FAs unlikely to be retained. Lehner should be traded by the deadline.I expect Ullmark and a vet to be our tandem next season.

4. Kane, UFA, an almost certain deadline trade

5 - 9. UFAs Josefson, Nolan, Gorges, Falk, and Pouliot. Anyone want any of them back other then Pouliot, who might be dealt at the deadline?

10 & 11. RFa’s Antipin and Reinhart. Cases can be made to keep both or trade both. I’m currently in the keep both camp, but if the right deal for Reinhart came along, I’m willing to listen.

12 & 13. Larsson and Girgensons. Both have some trade value and one more year on their deals. Have either proven they are part of the solution? I actually expect both back for next year because of their cheap contracts, but one or both could be traded if Jbot finds the right upgrade.

14, 15 & 16. Baloo has been a failure, Bogo and Okposo have albatross contracts. I actually like Okposo and don’t think he’ll be moved, but the other 2?

With Mittelstadt, Guhle, Ullmark and CJ Smith pushing up from Roch and college, that is 4 spots that need to be opened up. We could easily see another 4-6 changes especially when you consider how lousy are bottom 2 forward lines are.

I know I did, and I was wrong. Good call on your part.

Still want a high pick though

We'll be hard-pressed to get out of the top 5 given the standings as is. Perhaps one lottery team leapfrogs us, but we shouldn't pick later than 6, even if my goal comes to fruition:

I want us to get our GF/GA under control the rest of the season. We're at the halfway point (two games shy) with an abysmal -43 goal differential. That's almost... on pace with the two Super-Tank seasons.

The second half of the season I want us to get that up to a -20 to -25 range. Score more goals than we give up. And with it -- win a few games, too. I don't have any solutions on how exactly we'll do this... perhaps get the power play to get hot for a month. Start suppressing shots somehow...

I know I did, and I was wrong. Good call on your part.

Apology accepted. Just don’t let it happen again.

Roster turnover this year is going to be dictated by what happens over the next 20-25 games. Every game is a tryout for next season. Guys like Nolan, Larsson, Girgensons, Pouliot, Wilson and Erod can all solidify a place next season by playing well for the next month or two and finding a way to contribute. The converse is also true.

Other guys are gone regardless. Falk, Gorges, and Johnson come to mind.

Gorges is likely gone, Johnson, Moulson is kinda-gone (he counts as roster turnover even if he's still on the cap). Kane, Lehner (?), and who else? It may be easier to figure out who stays. :)

Kane, Gorges, Josefson, Pouliot, Nolan, Lehner?, Johnson, Moulson, Either Larsson or Zemgus, Falk. Those are the guys I think we can guess will be gone.  I would expect 1 more name to be added to the list. So roughly 10 players going out. If we keep Pouliot or someone like him then we lose a different rostered player. Either way I think 10 players is about right. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.