What Should The Sabres Goals Be For The Rest of The Season?

GASabresIUFAN

This is precisely where I'm attempting to get my mind to as well.

If I'm getting largely negative impacts to my mood from sports, is that sports fault, or my own? It's my own choice to allow something, that I don't even have to follow, to have a net negative impact on my life.

All the "sadness" that comes with watching a good team fail to reach the ultimate goal is palatable to me, because sadness can be viewed as a positive emotion. It's only present in that scenario because of all the good and happiness the team brought on by getting to a point where, like you said, a desiresble outcome is in sight. One would become sad because of the relative comparison to all the "happy" they were frequently experiencing.

With all the losing and failure recently, it's ceased to be sadness a long time ago. It's more like anger and frustration. Anger, the path to the Dark Side.

I don't want to stop following the Sabres, so the only solution is to get less frustrated by it. Be happy with the rare wins, or when Eichel has a multi-point night, and just "let it go", and spend less time on it mentally, when they lose.

I appreciate that feedback -- it helps focus and better express my own thoughts. Especially the bolded.

With the story that came up this week on  Twitter -- it was something from a book where Briere was confirming what everyone believed about the delinquent 5x5 offer and July 1, 2007, and then also Sabres Goal a Day on Twitter posting the Hecht goal from game 7 of the 2006 ECF -- a situation arose where my youngest was asking me about what it was like to have the Sabres be good, but how disappointing it must have been to have them not reach the SCF and win.

And you know ... his questions got me thinking. I readily thought back to a half-dozen memories from those Cup runs, especially 2006. I don't think there's anything, really, that I would do to change or improve on the experiences I had. They are such fond memories. That's all sport is really about, anyway: Being and feeling connected to your team, city, town, community, etc. (/Whispers: It isn't *really* about what happens on the ice, field, court, although that's a key element to what it is actually all about.)

Would my memories of 2006 be better had the Sabres won the Cup? Yeah, I suppose so. But I don't feel like the memories I have of that time are deficient because they didn't.

Onward!

@BrianWGR

Scandella: "Just not good enough to win, we're at home, we need a better effort, I know it's two bad bounces, but we have to establish ourselves at home...we have to have more pride in this dressing room, we have to find a way"  #Sabres

You can copy and paste that exact same quote and just change the guy that said it and it's been said for by someone on the Sabres for the last 7 years

Edited by WildCard

I would blow up the ENTIRE franchise:

1. Trade Evander Kane. Get 2-3 strong assets back especially on defense.

2. Fire Housley. This guy makes me miss Bylsma, and that speaks VOLUMES

3. Call me nuts: Trade #15 and get a real TEAM here top to bottom. There is something about Jack that says to be 'diva' If there was a cant pass up package available for Jack Eichel  I would explore it.

Edited by (E5)

Why do you say it's kinda weird?

I hope the other players heard it and get the message.

It's weird because why would you choose to convey that message in the context of statements you're giving to the media -- by being sorta shouty and trying to pitch your voice over toward Reinhart and whomever else isn't pulling his weight?

I dunno. Maybe Scandella's tried doing it one-on-one or in team meetings, and nothing's changing. So he went that route instead.

In all cases, it would bespeak dysfunction.

i hate to say this but for the first time in a long time, i am finding it hard to watch the sabers. the game last night i didnt even bother to tune in because i knew they werent going to win. 

i am going to continue to follow them, but i really hope they can turn it around. its such a shame the direction this team has gone. sabres fans deserve better than they have been getting i think. 

3. Call me nuts: Trade #15 and get a real TEAM here top to bottom. There is something about Jack that says to be 'diva' If there was a cant pass up package available for Jack Eichel  I would explore it.

#1: Trading Evander Kane: while being creative as some articles have shown (Yahoo etc) and getting the best mix of futures; ie picks, prospect. 

#2: Scouring the college hockey free agent pool and adding as many realistic options as possible.  

#3:  Being creative and finding a way to trade at least one dead space contract (see: Moulson, Okposo, Bogosian). 

#4: Under no circumstances do you trade #15.  Trading #23 is much more realistic.  

Housley can only be as strong as his team.  He's a first time head coach.  He's positive.  If you fire him this early into his first contract, you're selling a message to the rest of the league about how not to run a franchise.  

The only things I have to see from the players for the remainder of this season is dedication to playing hard and smart hockey every shift, for 60 minutes. They can lose 90% of their games, but if they show that they have the hearts and brains of real NHL level talent, I'll take that as a positive leading into '18. 

Howie, has lots of work to do to prove he can be a head coach in this league. He's shown that he is not a savant behind the bench. No indication of any D whisperer talents as many had dreamed. Barring a total meltdown, he is back next year and he better be ready because the door is ajar and he might be thrown out if this team is not at least .500 at Christmas. There might also be some Asst. Coaching changes that would be helpful.

JBots, is the sorry soul that has an unenviable task ahead of him in the coming 8 months. He has to figure out every single player on this team, the Amerks, the guys still in juniors, free agents, etc., etc., etc. Eichel may be the only player truly safe from being moved.  I foresee at least 2 new tenders, 2-3 new D men and 4-8 new forwards for the start of next season. Lots of change, but 2 changes that MUST happen…… a real #1 NHL quality goal tender and a Captain (not Eichel, there is a reason there is not a skater wearing the C this year. Credit to Howie and JBots for seeing that). The Captain needs to be an established and experienced guy with impeccable credentials and the ability to lead. Everything from the wise old grandpa to the kick ass drill sergeant. That guy is not in this organization, and is sorely needed. I hope for several moves by the trading deadline and I want to see the kids in Rochester stay intact and get a good playoff run together, without having to fill in for late season injuries. Let the Sabres play it out, while allowing the kids to grow and develop together. 

I've given up hope for this year. Maybe they get to 60 points, but I'm not holding my breath.

The only things I have to see from the players for the remainder of this season is dedication to playing hard and smart hockey every shift, for 60 minutes. They can lose 90% of their games, but if they show that they have the hearts and brains of real NHL level talent, I'll take that as a positive leading into '18. 

Howie, has lots of work to do to prove he can be a head coach in this league. He's shown that he is not a savant behind the bench. No indication of any D whisperer talents as many had dreamed. Barring a total meltdown, he is back next year and he better be ready because the door is ajar and he might be thrown out if this team is not at least .500 at Christmas. There might also be some Asst. Coaching changes that would be helpful.

JBots, is the sorry soul that has an unenviable task ahead of him in the coming 8 months. He has to figure out every single player on this team, the Amerks, the guys still in juniors, free agents, etc., etc., etc. Eichel may be the only player truly safe from being moved.  I foresee at least 2 new tenders, 2-3 new D men and 4-8 new forwards for the start of next season. Lots of change, but 2 changes that MUST happen…… a real #1 NHL quality goal tender and a Captain (not Eichel, there is a reason there is not a skater wearing the C this year. Credit to Howie and JBots for seeing that). The Captain needs to be an established and experienced guy with impeccable credentials and the ability to lead. Everything from the wise old grandpa to the kick ass drill sergeant. That guy is not in this organization, and is sorely needed. I hope for several moves by the trading deadline and I want to see the kids in Rochester stay intact and get a good playoff run together, without having to fill in for late season injuries. Let the Sabres play it out, while allowing the kids to grow and develop together. 

I've given up hope for this year. Maybe they get to 60 points, but I'm not holding my breath.

Welcome! I think your ranges on the number of moves might be a bit high, but otherwise you're spot on. 8 new guys? Maybe. I'd be pretty surprised if there are 13 new faces.

Housley has very reasonable improved our advanced stats, has vastly improved our neutral zone entries and defenses, and has made Risto look very, very good. Give him time

If you're expecting that much turnover in one offseason, prepare for disappointment. Even if you do get that much turnover, again, prepare for disappointment; that's way too much upheaval to introduce in that time period and expect anything to be cohesive.

I agree on the goaltender, maybe Linus or some FA comes over

I do agree that Eichel is not ready to be captain (gotta eat crow on that one), and I can see now why there has been none this year. That said, I remain firm that he will be the captain, it's inevitable. I also don't believe the bold one bit. There are plenty of examples of young captains across sports that have been very successful

And, welcome to the board :beer:

Housley has very reasonable improved our advanced stats, has vastly improved our neutral zone entries and defenses, and has made Risto look very, very good. Give him time

If you're expecting that much turnover in one offseason, prepare for disappointment. Even if you do get that much turnover, again, prepare for disappointment; that's way too much upheaval to introduce in that time period and expect anything to be cohesive.

I agree on the goaltender, maybe Linus or some FA comes over

I do agree that Eichel is not ready to be captain (gotta eat crow on that one), and I can see now why there has been none this year. That said, I remain firm that he will be the captain, it's inevitable. I also don't believe the bold one bit. There are plenty of examples of young captains across sports that have been very successful

And, welcome to the board :beer:

Young captains on teams that have solid coaching and an established core. Cindy was destined and so ordained, but the team was there. What has McDavid done to elevate the play in Edmonton since he was given the C? Eichel's time will come, and hopefully soon. I feel that he needs someone to show him the way. Living in Moulson's spare bedroom did nothing for his development and it could be argued has hindered his development. Another black mark left from the reign of XGMTM. 

Except responsibility.

I think you mean to say ACCEPT, and I agree. There seems to be plenty of lame excuses and floating going on with this team. It's late and I get a bit foggy at that point as well. I'm certainly not the grammar police, as I can butcher the English language like nobodies business. Particularly after a few fingers of single malt.

I hope I'm not coming off as totally negative toward this years team. Just deeply disappointed. 

As the new guy here, I am very appreciative of the knowledge and committment of the people that post here. It's been fun to lurk, and I finally decided that I had to vent a little about this current team. Here is to an improved team for the remainder of the season! :beer:

Some food for thought

Babcock Blocks

Block 1: 0-4-1  w 11g & 21 ga

Block 2: 3-1-1  w 15g & 14 ga

Block 3: 2-3-0  w 12g & 18 ga

Block 4: 0-3-2  w 8g & 17 ga

Block 5: 1-4-0  w 9g & 14 ga

I was looking for trends and there is a positive one and an obvious negative one.  On a positive note it looks like we are playing better defensively and in net.  Our ga has decreased each of the last three blocks and maybe now with Bogo back, the Sabres will find some consistency on the blue line with partnerships and roles on the team

The big negative is that our goal scoring has all but dried up and gone away.  The PP is a huge problem and so is our lack of ability to got shots through from the point both 5 on 5 and on the PP.  Another obvious problem is play around the opponents net and our Pominvillesque ability, as a team, to miss the net on wide shots from a scoring position (yes, I'm looking at you Jack).  

I think if we are to improve this season, stability on the blueline will go along away to helping keep puck possession and hopefully lead to more scoring.

Brilliant

And what result is in the best interest of the club long term?

The Sabres sit with 14 pts in 30th place in the NHL. We are last in goals for with 52 and 29th in goals against with 79 allowed.

However, Risto and Bogo will be back soon and with 60 games left in the season there is still a reasonable shot at improving on last years’ 78pts. Simply earning 1 pt a game the rest of the season gets us to 74 pts.

Is this what we want or need? Would we be better off staying lousy and getting a top 3 pick? Or would improving on last year’s record make the season feel worth while and give us hope for 2018-19?

Tank and hope we finally get lucky with the lottery.

Getting Rasmus Dahlin as a long term 29 minute a night stud on the Blue line is by FAR the best thing that could come from this horrific season.

Some food for thought

Babcock Blocks

Block 1: 0-4-1  w 11g & 21 ga

Block 2: 3-1-1  w 15g & 14 ga

Block 3: 2-3-0  w 12g & 18 ga

Block 4: 0-3-2  w 8g & 17 ga

Block 5: 1-4-0  w 9g & 14 ga

I was looking for trends and there is a positive one and an obvious negative one.  On a positive note it looks like we are playing better defensively and in net.  Our ga has decreased each of the last three blocks and maybe now with Bogo back, the Sabres will find some consistency on the blue line with partnerships and roles on the team

The big negative is that our goal scoring has all but dried up and gone away.  The PP is a huge problem and so is our lack of ability to got shots through from the point both 5 on 5 and on the PP.  Another obvious problem is play around the opponents net and our Pominvillesque ability, as a team, to miss the net on wide shots from a scoring position (yes, I'm looking at you Jack).  

I think if we are to improve this season, stability on the blueline will go along away to helping keep puck possession and hopefully lead to more scoring.

Why wouldn't you use Housley blocks? The guy said after games 1-5 he does 7 game blocks the rest of the season.

Why wouldn't you use Housley blocks? The guy said after games 1-5 he does 7 game blocks the rest of the season.

Because I like Babcock blocks, especially when looking at 25 games played. If a 5 game block is good enough for the best coach in the NHL it’s good enough for me.

Frankly, it also makes sense. 5 game blocks divides the season in 16 blocks. The last 2 games stand alone because by that time you already know your fate.

Now back to the actual trend analysis.......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.