What Should The Sabres Goals Be For The Rest of The Season?

GASabresIUFAN

No one is going to take Okposo or Pommer.

Not arguing your point, but I’m curious the view on Okposo’s game right now.

His contract looks scary, but his 11 points in the past 15 games is in line with his usual production and he is one of the few guys out there who seems to be giving it his all every game.

He’s a way better hockey player than Pominville.

I’m actually good with Kyle. He clearly battled back to regain his prior form. Good for him. That’s exceptionally pleasant news and bodes well for future seasons. He may still drop off a cliff, and the contract is bad, but he didn’t continue to wallow at the bottom with the rest of the non-producers, using “the whole team sucks” as an excuse.

He deserves his “A”.

I would have thought you insane at the beginning of the season had you said that.

But you can't be far off with that prediction, unless addition by subtraction happen with some trades here soon.

been following since 1970 and have seen it all until now.

50 points was not a unreasonable prediction

One thing.  Give LEGITIMATE hope for next year.

how?

Make it watchable, might need a miracle for that

Team 5 games - 2 points ( getting real ugly)

Reinhart. 3 points. (22 to go)

Two more games played since last update:

7 games played:

Team goal of 41 points in last 41 goals- just behind pace with 6 points in 7 games

Reinhart goal of 25 points in last 41 games - ahead of pace 6 points in last 7 games (.85 PPG)

Things feel much better after 2 straight wins. Jack may down play the “rivalry” with McDavid, but other then his hat trick against Carolina in Dec, this 4 pt night was his best game of the season.

So is this team maybe finally turning a corner? Was bottoming out against Dallas finally message received? With Reinhart, KO, Eichel and Risto all playing better, can we expect more wins down the stretch? If so, is this really what we want this season?

The Sabres sit 30th with 35pts in 48 games. Ariz is last with 33 in 49, Ott is 29th with 39 in 46. Then there is a gap to Det, Edm, Fla, Van and Mon with 44 to 46 pts. It’s really a 3 horse race to the bottom, which AZ is likely to win.

So what is in our best interest? The top 4 in this draft are likely immediate help next season. The better we play the odds of getting one of the 4 decrease.

However, I think we can accomplish both goals (high pick and continued better play) with playing 500 hockey the rest of the way. That would give us 69 points for the season. 69 pts earned Tor 30th place in 2016 and Van 29th place in 2017 (out of 30 teams). We might end up passing Ott for 3rd worst record, but I doubt we’d catch any of the clubs sitting 9 to 11 pts ahead of us.

Finish 29th or 30th this season would still give us a high probability of drafting in the top 4, but at worst we’d draft 5th or 6th. Looking at the prospects there are some really nice D who should go in those slots who will help in a year or 2.

I'd be hesitant to read much into last night's defeat of Edmonton, which is a terrible team -- just as, if I were a Dallas fan, I'd be hesitant to read much into their butt-whuppin' of the Sabres the other day.

It's better than losing.

I think the goal needs to be to win as often as possible.

Agreed.

It should always have been that way, but this is especially true with the kids we have on the roster now. No good comes from lowered expectations in the win column from here on out.

I think the goal needs to be to win as often as possible. 

I'm torn Liger.  I totally understand what you're saying that this team needs to learn how and feel winning. 

My problem is I don't see more than 6-7 players on the current roster that will be with us when we'll potentially be ready to be a playoff team.  

We desperately need this years draft to produce a very good player for us - and quicker than it normally takes.  We'll need that player to be the 20-21 year old ready in 2-3 years.  Which is how long I think it'll take for the Sabres to have an opportunity at playoff contention and hopefully beyond.  I want to draft as low as possible.  I actually hated typing that. 

Am I wrong or making sense at all? 

I'm torn Liger.  I totally understand what you're saying that this team needs to learn how and feel winning. 

My problem is I don't see more than 6-7 players on the current roster that will be with us when we'll potentially be ready to be a playoff team.  

We desperately need this years draft to produce a very good player for us - and quicker than it normally takes.  We'll need that player to be the 20-21 year old ready in 2-3 years.  Which is how long I think it'll take for the Sabres to have an opportunity at playoff contention and hopefully beyond.  I want to draft as low as possible.  I actually hated typing that. 

What could go wrong?

I think you are exactly right. The good news is that we can have it both ways. Win a bit down the stretch as catching the 28th place team is highly unlikely.

If you come in 3rd last - you will get an excellent prospect in the top 6.

What could go wrong?

If the Sabres stuck to their guns and tanked again in 2016

No ROR Trade, no Lehner trade, No Pysyk trade. the Kane trade still happens cause that trade help solidify Tank of 2015

Assume they come in last again and draft Matthews or Laine.

Where would they be today?

The tank of 2015 did work because they now have eichel. Imagine them with William Nylander rather than Eichel on the roster?

MUrray messed it up being too aggressive with the time line.

The good news - we may have gotten extremely lucky if Mittelstadt turns out to be a star.

Here is another chance to add an elite talent.

Edited by Crusader1969

No ROR Trade, no Lehner trade, No Pysyk trade. the Kane trade still happens cause that trade help solidify Tank of 2015

Still in last place.

The tank of 2015 did work because they now have eichel. Imagine them with William Nylander rather than Eichel on the roster?

MUrray messed it up being too aggressive with the time line.

The good news - we may have gotten extremely lucky if Mittelstadt turns out to be a star.

Here is another chance to add an elite talent.

Do you mean Mitch Marner? William Nylander was the 8th Overall Pick in 2014 Draft

Win. No more loser ######. We're at the breaking-point

I don't think there's a Sabres fan that doesn't understand your sentiment.  However, other than for psychological reasons, it does not benefit this team to win.  

The team we'll have an opportunity to compete with,  will comprise of 65-70% different players.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.