What Should The Sabres Goals Be For The Rest of The Season?

GASabresIUFAN

And what result is in the best interest of the club long term?

The Sabres sit with 14 pts in 30th place in the NHL. We are last in goals for with 52 and 29th in goals against with 79 allowed.

However, Risto and Bogo will be back soon and with 60 games left in the season there is still a reasonable shot at improving on last years’ 78pts. Simply earning 1 pt a game the rest of the season gets us to 74 pts.

Is this what we want or need? Would we be better off staying lousy and getting a top 3 pick? Or would improving on last year’s record make the season feel worth while and give us hope for 2018-19?

I'm guessing about 119.

Last I looked 60 games is 120 pts. However, lets be realisitic. Maybe I should rephrase the question. What should Jbot’s goals for the team be for the rest of the season and what should be our expectations or hope?

Should Jbot sink the team to get the high pick? Should he try to bolster the team now to try to get them to be more competitive? Do we want them to be better at this point?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The Sabres sit with 14 pts in 30th place in the NHL. We are last in goals for with 52 and 29th in goals against with 79 allowed.

However, Risto and Bogo will be back soon and with 60 games left in the season there is still a reasonable shot at improving on last years’ 78pts. Simply earning 1 pt a game the rest of the season gets us to 74 pts.

Is this what we want or need? Would we be better off staying lousy and getting a top 3 pick? Or would improving on last year’s record make the season feel worth while and give us hope for 2018-19?

Improve on last year.

Ristolainen - Scandella isn't the best top pairing in the league, but it is legit. Get McCabe - Bogosian back together & evaluate Antipin w/ McCabe when possible. Falk is good enough as a 6. Beaulieu or Gorges can go in when they see a need for a bit more offensive or defensive D-man against a particular opponent.

Get the pairings figured out for what they'll do next year.

Figure out if Reinhart is Eichel's RW or O'Reilly's RW & keep him there from the WC until the end of the year.

Give Girgensons &/or Poulliot &/or Bailey more than a 25 minute opportunity to see what he can do as Eichel's LW. Give Kane more than that 1/2 game on O'Reilly's LW.

It stinks to be playing Okposo on the 3rd/4th line, but until he is 100% (& he's getting back but still only ~90%) keep him there & on 1st PP unit.

Figure out what you have. After this start, the only way to make the playoffs is to catch lightning in a bottle & the only way to do that is move pieces around until they really fit. If it happens, awesome. When it doesn't, at least you know what doesn't work & have a good idea of what the correct moves will be.

yes, absolutely last place is what we need.

I think it is very doable as well, the Coyotes have been much better now that Raanta is back and soon they will get Chychrun back from injury. Not to mention Strome is tearing up the AHL and could be called up to bolster their Forwards.

who else should we worry about being worse than the Sabres? I don't think there is another competitor for last place. 

Remember when winning a few games at the end of the 2016 season seemed positive to some people? but 2 extra wins ended up costing us Laine? there will be so much turnover this season to next that winning doesnt really matter, however adding talent is what it is all about.

StahlinForDahlin!    and yes I know its unlikely that they get Dahlin (even if they come last) but Svechnikov, Zadina and Boqvist would all be huge pieces to getting this team towards being competitive. Coming in last would guarantee at least 1 of these players.

Edited by Crusader1969

yes, absolutely last place is what we need.

I think it is very doable as well, the Coyotes have been much better now that Raanta is back and soon they will get Chychrun back from injury. Not to mention Strome is tearing up the AHL and could be called up to bolster their Forwards.

who else should we worry about being worse than the Sabres? I don't think there is another competitor for last place.

Remember when winning a few games at the end of the 2016 season seemed positive to some people? but 2 extra wins ended up costing us Laine? there will be so much turnover this season to next that winning doesnt really matter, however adding talent is what it is all about.

StahlinForDahlin! and yes I know its unlikely that they get Dahlin (even if they come last) but Svechnikov, Zadina and Boqvist would all be huge pieces to getting this team towards being competitive. Coming in last would guarantee at least 1 of these players.

Woohoo, keep sucking! Heck yeah! Let's see if we can double our current losing streak. It will be wicked awesome.

Woohoo, keep sucking! Heck yeah! Let's see if we can double our current losing streak. It will be wicked awesome.

you win with talent,they lack in talent. You get talent in the draft. 

Next year is the turn around. 

Its never been about this year since the day Botterill was hired. So yes, winning a few games may make you feel good but in the long term its putting you further behind

Its never been about this year since the day Botterill was hired. So yes, winning a few games may make you feel good but in the long term its putting you further behind

I agree with this completely, but the marketing angle is you can't finish bottom-5 year after year and not alienate your paying customers. The team definitely needs to draft better... but finding a few players who can get the team a few more wins in the short-term sells hope to the average fan.

No offense, but I can't believe you would ask this question this late into the season.

This team is not making the playoffs this year and in fact will finish in the bottom 3.  It's not a question of what we want or don't want, that's what is going to happen.

Bogo and Risto will help, of course, but they really have nothing to do with the problems that afflict this team and Bogo is f-ing horrible.  Risto is quicky turning into f-ing horrible too.

Risto is NOWHERE close to the standout player he was supposed to be.  He is average.  BOGO is terrible.

We can only pray, as fans, that we somehow back into the top pick in the draft.

Dahlin would go a long way toward giving us the stud D-man anchor this team desperately needs, and he would help lighten Risto's load considerably.

This team is going to be rebuilt from where it is right now; a high draft choice would help a lot in that regard.

Sure

Improve on last year.

Ristolainen - Scandella isn't the best top pairing in the league, but it is legit. Get McCabe - Bogosian back together & evaluate Antipin w/ McCabe when possible. Falk is good enough as a 6. Beaulieu or Gorges can go in when they see a need for a bit more offensive or defensive D-man against a particular opponent.

Get the pairings figured out for what they'll do next year.

Figure out if Reinhart is Eichel's RW or O'Reilly's RW & keep him there from the WC until the end of the year.

Give Girgensons &/or Poulliot &/or Bailey more than a 25 minute opportunity to see what he can do as Eichel's LW. Give Kane more than that 1/2 game on O'Reilly's LW.

It stinks to be playing Okposo on the 3rd/4th line, but until he is 100% (& he's getting back but still only ~90%) keep him there & on 1st PP unit.

Figure out what you have. After this start, the only way to make the playoffs is to catch lightning in a bottle & the only way to do that is move pieces around until they really fit. If it happens, awesome. When it doesn't, at least you know what doesn't work & have a good idea of what the correct moves will be.

I agree with this. It's all about trying to maximize what we have here, the continued development of the young players on the team, and trying to cement where everyone fits, if they do.

It would be much more beneficial to the long term success of this team if they found a way to start winning some games, improve on last season's point total, or maybe even get a little beyond that, even though playoffs are very likely out of the picture. Enough improvement would signal real progress from these players, the successful implementation of Housley's system, and perhaps some renewed confidence and the beginning of a culture change.

I would love to see that, if it's at all possible. Far, far more beneficial than rotting at the bottom and receiving a high pick for our efforts. I'll take an emergent team over a single talent.

No offense, but I can't believe you would ask this question this late into the season.

This late into the season? We just past the quarter pole. That means 3/4 of the season has yet to be played. This team lies face first flat in the mud. They need to pick themselves up and finish the race. The question is do they walk around the track and give up on the season and accept they they are a losing bunch of steamy smelly .... or do they act like professionals and do everything possible to get back in the race.

Admittedly this roster lacks enough NHL talent to be a playoff contender, but there is enough talent here to win at least 25 games the rest of the way and maybe play 500 hockey. 64-69 pts should get us a top 5 pick in a decent draft to add talent. However playing 500 hockey the rest of the way should restore some hope for the future, especially if guys like Guhle, Nylander and Ullmark help lead Roch deep into the AHL playoffs.

Get Kane as many goals as possible so you can get a halfway decent D-man back when you trade him.

If he is moved at the trade deadline, it is because a team is trying to add scoring punch for a Cup run. Those teams almost never send useful roster players back in return. And, GMs have not been giving up 1st round picks for rentals the past few seasons. I think a deadline deal at best gets us a 2nd plus prospect(s). IMHO, we have to sign him to get anything useful back in trade.

If he is moved at the trade deadline, it is because a team is trying to add scoring punch for a Cup run. Those teams almost never send useful roster players back in return. And, GMs have not been giving up 1st round picks for rentals the past few seasons. I think a deadline deal at best gets us a 2nd plus prospect(s). IMHO, we have to sign him to get anything useful back in trade.

I agree, lets get him traded as soon as possible. Try to get him re-signed but if you can't, lets get a deal done and move on.  

Elliotte Friedman speculated that the Lightning, Kings and Blue Jackets could be interested in him.

I am in complete deferred gratification mode.

Sign Kane and worry the cap in 2019. That maximizes his value. Then, keep or trade later. Worry the cap in 2019. If he declines to sign through March, send him somewhere at the deadline.

Put Reinhart at wing and give him every opportunity to show what he brings. Cold evaluation time.

Leave the kids in Rochester and cheer the Amerks. I’d love to see some playoff experience. Baptiste, Bailey, Ghule, Nylander and Fasching stay put this year. Pu and Asplund get two years in the AHL.

Suffer the current product. Use the word “playoffs” when we see DeLuca .500 at a quarter pole.

Recognize 2019/2020 is evaluation time for Housley and JBot.

TPegs has two franchises that tried bold and splashy rebuilds that missed on some key talent and never formed an identity.

I want two organizations. Individual teams come together therein.

Be entertaining in the meantime. Show up and play, win or lose.

I am in complete deferred gratification mode.

Sign Kane and worry the cap in 2019. That maximizes his value. Then, keep or trade later. Worry the cap in 2019. If he declines to sign through March, send him somewhere at the deadline.

Put Reinhart at wing and give him every opportunity to show what he brings. Cold evaluation time.

Leave the kids in Rochester and cheer the Amerks. I’d love to see some playoff experience. Baptiste, Bailey, Ghule, Nylander and Fasching stay put this year. Pu and Asplund get two years in the AHL.

Suffer the current product. Use the word “playoffs” when we see DeLuca .500 at a quarter pole.

Recognize 2019/2020 is evaluation time for Housley and JBot.

TPegs has two franchises that tried bold and splashy rebuilds that missed on some key talent and never formed an identity.

I want two organizations. Individual teams come together therein.

Be entertaining in the meantime. Show up and play, win or lose.

If this team is still in evaluation mode by 2019/2020 then there's no hope for FXGMJB or FXHCPH.

This is their evaluation year, not 2 seasons from now.

If this team is still in evaluation mode by 2019/2020 then there's no hope for FXGMJB or FXHCPH.

This is their evaluation year, not 2 seasons from now.

In one sense, I agree with you. We’re all evaluated every day.

I don’t belief, though, that we’ll have a product that can be evaluated against the standards of winning and making the playoffs until 2019/2020. I belief we’re suffering the effects of “new coach every two years”, in addition to other things.

I recognize we asked the following with Bylsma, Nolan, et al. What can you conclude about the GM/HC with this roster? Sure, you can look to compete end effort, whatever that means. Opponents show effort and compete, too. I am not able to conclude it’s missing except in the most obviously situations where a player quits on a situation. I spit fire, snort, and am willing to hurt and offend to win. I’d not win many corner battles in the NHL.

Some coaches make the roster better just by arriving. Babcock made the Leafs better day one. They were night and day improved on my television. Babcocks don’t become available that often. Firing lesser lights every two years doesn’t do it for me. You never know where the problem is when you change out organizations, systems and philosophies.

This leads me to ... the single biggest miss in the last five years wasn’t Sam, Eichel, Moulson, Lehner ... it was HC Babcock.

Edited by Neo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.