If you're able to attend a training camp session, please post your observations here.

Eleven

As was Deslauriers for the Sabres.

Fans keep looking at it like McNabb for Fasching. But that means it was 2 2nds for D-Lo. It more likely was D-Lo for McNabb & 2 2nds for Fasching. Have either 2nd shown any sign of life for the Kings? If not, the trade was basically a wash.

Who did the two 2nds become?

#Sabres lines:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo

Pouliot-Reinhart-Griffith

Moulson-Larsson-Baptiste

Deslauriers-Josefson-Bailey

On defense:

Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu-Bogosian

Gorges-Antipin

Falk-Tennyson

Goloubef-Fedun

Jake McCabe is absent.

There we have it, our likely lineup to start to season. What does everyone think, playoffs or no?

Questions:

1. Wingers - Do we have the wing depth to mount a balanced offence, capable of contending for the playoffs? Can Pominville keep up with Eichel, can Girgensons do enough offensively to retain his spot on the second line, are Pouliot and Griffith good enough to allow Sam to do his thing, can the fourth line be serviceable with the likes of Moulson on it - questions, questions that need answering.

2. Centers - Just how good are our centres and can they elevate our wingers? Will Eichel be a point a game player - a true Top-10 scorer in the league, will ROR be worn down again as season progresses, can Reinhart excel at 3C, or does he need to be moved back to wing?

3. Injuries - Is our defence going to be able to withstand the injury bug? McCabe is down already, currently. Will Bogosian still be in the lineup when he gets back? What about Scandella. D looks much better on paper (sans injuries), but will that paper defence come to fruition on the ice, with full attendance?

4. Tank Remnants - Can a roster with the likes of Moulson, Gorges, and guys that haven't been able to carve out a niche in the NHL to this point, like Griffith, in the starting lineup contend for the playoffs?

5. The "Rochester 4" - Nylander is down, Fasching has been sent down. Baptiste and Bailey haven't looked great, can one of them step up? The 5th man, Rodrigues, also went down with an injury.

---

Excited to see how it all shakes out.

Why? McNabb was basically that for the Kings but on defense? 

I am growing weary of repeating this, but again -- it's the time value of assets.  A dollar today is worth more than a dollar 4 years from now -- especially (but not solely) if you need it today.

As was Deslauriers for the Sabres.

Fans keep looking at it like McNabb for Fasching. But that means it was 2 2nds for D-Lo. It more likely was D-Lo for McNabb & 2 2nds for Fasching. Have either 2nd shown any sign of life for the Kings? If not, the trade was basically a wash.

I forgot about the 2 2nds -- but really that means it was an even worse trade by XGMTM.

If we're allocating the price, I'd say it was more McNabb plus 1 2nd for Fasching, and the other 2nd for DLo.

Pysyk is clearly better than McNabb.

It just seems like you wanna pump McNabb's tires because he's not a Sabre anymore.

What is the basis for Pysyk being better than McNabb? 

And I'm not making any grand claims about McNabb.  I just think the news that Fasching appears to be behind Baptiste and Bailey on the depth chart (and perhaps Nylander as well) means that he probably won't play much in Buffalo this year, and that made me think about how that trade turned out.

It's REALLY tough being the Sabres Backup Goalie

https://twitter.com/matt_bove/status/912350971099013121

Antics.

From the Wiki on Hudson Fasching:

On March 5, 2014, Fasching's rights were traded along with Nicolas Deslauriers and a draft pick to the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Brayden McNabb, Jonathan Parker and two draft picks.

So what pick did we get?  And who did it become?

I am growing weary of repeating this, but again -- it's the time value of assets.  A dollar today is worth more than a dollar 4 years from now -- especially (but not solely) if you need it today.

I forgot about the 2 2nds -- but really that means it was an even worse trade by XGMTM.

If we're allocating the price, I'd say it was more McNabb plus 1 2nd for Fasching, and the other 2nd for DLo.

What is the basis for Pysyk being better than McNabb? 

And I'm not making any grand claims about McNabb.  I just think the news that Fasching appears to be behind Baptiste and Bailey on the depth chart (and perhaps Nylander as well) means that he probably won't play much in Buffalo this year, and that made me think about how that trade turned out.

Well, here's the thing on time value of assets.  If McNabb did nothing but plug a roster spot then his value is JAG.  If Fasching, even this much later, makes a meaningful impact then clearly he's got the upper hand.

The time value of money assumes that a dollar today can grow in value if invested, etc. blah blah.  However, it's not guaranteed and its overly simplified.  You know, all things being equal and crap.

My rebuttal would be, having a roster player is having a roster player and they could have obtained anyone to plug that hole and probably ended up with the same results over the past 4 seasons. Fasching has yet to prove anything as well.  It could all be a wash in the end.

Although, I think the Sabres didn't get any draft picks in the Fasching deal.

From the way I read the transactional history, the Sabres surrendered two 2nd rounders as part of the deal to get Fasching.

Had we, in turn, acquired those two 2nd rounders from the Kings in exchange for Regehr?

Edited by That Aud Smell

From the way I read the transactional history, the Sabres surrendered two 2nd rounders as part of the deal to get Fasching.

Had we, in turn, acquired those two 2nd rounders from the Kings in exchange for Regehr?

Wait.  Are you saying that Wikipedia is WRONG????   ;)

On March 5, 2014, Fasching's rights were traded along with Nicolas Deslauriers and a draft pick to the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Brayden McNabb, Jonathan Parker and two draft picks.

We got LAK 2014 2nd and LAK 2015 2nd for Regehr. We traded both picks back to LAK + Parker + McNabb for Deslauriers and Fasching.

The picks became the puppy head-tilt above (aka Cernak + Lintuniemi).

GMTM wanted his heavier LA-style lineup at the time (not saying either DLo or Fasching lacks speed, just that their primary qualities are checking/fighting and board-work/mucking in corners, respectively). JBot wants speed and... college-educated?... as the primary qualities. So JBot is trending that direction to begin.

The Fasching trade happened when the Kings were having success and GMTM wanted bigger forwards who played a heavy game.   At the time it made sense.  Deslaurier added some much needed toughness to the lineup, which was nice at the time... good for the tank squad anyway.    Fasching is still a nice prospect, but might not be a good fit for Housley's system... we'll see.  

"The Buffalo Sabres today announced that the team has acquired forwards Nicolas Deslauriers and Hudson Fasching from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for defenseman Brayden McNabb, forward Jonathan Parker and two second-round draft picks. The draft picks, acquired by Buffalo in a trade with Los Angeles for Robyn Regehr at the 2013 NHL Trade Deadline, are for the 2014 and 2015 NHL Entry Drafts."

In what way is Pysyk not better than McNabb? Pysyk is actually a good possession 3rd pair D-man. McNabb has physicality and little else.

I know it's not the best gauge here, but take a look at these career stats:

McNabb: 238 GP, 7-43-50

Pysyk: 207 GP, 9-34-43

It's funny that this is the comparison being made because those points per game stats are identical.  You've hit on the main difference between the two, one is physical and the other is not.  That's pretty much it.

Talk about much ado about nothing:

Nick Deslauriers (211 GP, 12-18-30) — a fourth line plug who is borderline to make the Sabres

Hudson Fasching a B prospect entering his second pro season

Brayden McNabb (238 GP, 7-43-50) — a depth defenceman who the Kings let get away for free

Johnathan Parker a contract dump who is out of hockey

Alex Lintuniemi who in his first two pro seasons has been a Brady Austin-level AHL/ECHL tweener

Erik Cernak a B prospect entering his first pro season, who the Kings traded away to rent Ben Bishop as a backup goalie for two months.

The Sabres have very little to show from this trade. The Kings have next to nothing.

Per Vogl

Sabres’ lines:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo

Pouliot-Reinhart-Bailey

Moulson-Larsson-Baptiste

Deslauriers-Josefson-Griffith

Sabres’ defense:

Scandella-Ristolainen

Beaulieu-Bogosian

Antipin-Fedun

Gorges-Tennyson

Falk-Goloubef

EROD watching with a cast on his right wrist, and Nylander is watching as well

Per Vogl

Sabres’ lines:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo

Pouliot-Reinhart-Bailey

Moulson-Larsson-Baptiste

Sabres’ defense:

Scandella-Ristolainen

Beaulieu-Bogosian

Antipin-Fedun

Gorges-Tennyson

Falk-Goloubef

McCabe will replace Antipin or Fedun and there it is folks, that's your lineup

Talk about much ado about nothing:

Nick Deslauriers (211 GP, 12-18-30) — a fourth line plug who is borderline to make the Sabres

Hudson Fasching a B prospect entering his second pro season

Brayden McNabb (238 GP, 7-43-50) — a depth defenceman who the Kings let get away for free

Johnathan Parker a contract dump who is out of hockey

Alex Lintuniemi who in his first two pro seasons has been a Brady Austin-level AHL/ECHL tweener

Erik Cernak a B prospect entering his first pro season, who the Kings traded away to rent Ben Bishop as a backup goalie for two months.

The Sabres have very little to show from this trade. The Kings have next to nothing.

If this isn't the run of the mill hockey trade that has happened a million times, I don't know what is.

Per Vogl

Sabres’ lines:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo

Pouliot-Reinhart-Bailey

Moulson-Larsson-Baptiste

Sabres’ defense:

Scandella-Ristolainen

Beaulieu-Bogosian

Antipin-Fedun

Gorges-Tennyson

Falk-Goloubef

Interesting.  Reino appears to be slotted at #3C, as many here have longed for.

I'd guess ERod will, when he returns, compete with Bailey for the RW spot on that line.

More broadly, I'd guess that all 4 of the bottom-6 winger spots are pretty fluid (while Reino and Larsson are locks), and available to be won by Bailey, Baptiste, ERod, Nylander, Pouliot, Moulson and Josefson, depending on how well/poorly each of them is playing.

Nylander seems like the wild card.

Interesting.  Reino appears to be slotted at #3C, as many here have longed for.

I'd guess ERod will, when he returns, compete with Bailey for the RW spot on that line.

More broadly, I'd guess that all 4 of the bottom-6 winger spots are pretty fluid (while Reino and Larsson are locks), and available to be won by Bailey, Baptiste, ERod, Nylander, Pouliot, Moulson and Josefson, depending on how well/poorly each of them is playing.

Nylander seems like the wild card.

Really, the competition this week boils down to Seth, Nick and Justin (with Alex and ERod waiting to pounce when healthy) for the third-line RW spot and the free-for-all for the seventh defenceman slot.

Otherwise Phil will focus on getting ready to start the season.

Which is exactly where we want him to be.