If you're able to attend a training camp session, please post your observations here.

Eleven

#Sabres lines:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo

Pouliot-Reinhart-Griffith

Moulson-Larsson-Baptiste

Deslauriers-Josefson-Bailey

On defense:

Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu-Bogosian

Gorges-Antipin

Falk-Tennyson

Goloubef-Fedun

Jake McCabe is absent.

Dangerously close to what the regular season will look like. I think Griffith with Reinhart is almost guaranteed. Bailey and Baptiste are fighting for that 4th rw spot. 

Dangerously close to what the regular season will look like. I think Griffith with Reinhart is almost guaranteed. Bailey and Baptiste are fighting for that 4th rw spot.

I'm trying to figure out all things Seth Griffith. As far as I can tell, he's an undersized tweener, elite for the AHL and relatively unproven for the NHL. Any reason you are certain of his future?

I'm trying to figure out all things Seth Griffith. As far as I can tell, he's an undersized tweener, elite for the AHL and relatively unproven for the NHL. Any reason you are certain of his future?

Oh I am not certain. I just think he will get a chance on that 3rd line for bit. No idea if he make sit but I have liked what I have seen from him. 

No one is saying that McNabb is a star, but he undeniably is an NHL defenseman who's thus far had a better career than, say, Pysyk.  He absolutely would've played plenty of minutes on the Sabres last season and the season before.

The point, again, is that so far, the Fasching-McNabb trade looks like another lousy move by XGMTM.

No one is saying that McNabb is a star, but he undeniably is an NHL defenseman who's thus far had a better career than, say, Pysyk.  He absolutely would've played plenty of minutes on the Sabres last season and the season before.

The point, again, is that so far, the Fasching-McNabb trade looks like another lousy move by XGMTM.

You picked an interesting comparison there in Pysyk.  Stat-wise, they're essentially identical.  The only difference comes from McNabb being a year older and as a result playing a few extra games and for a much stronger team in LA.

I know it doesn't really have much of anything to do with your point, but I was curious and looked up their stats.  It's actually pretty impressive just how similar they are.

I don't really think this is true, though I agree with your conclusion.

Pysyk wasn't a healthy scratch three times in the last month he played on a team with no defense after their top 3. 

I don't really think this is true, though I agree with your conclusion.

Pysyk wasn't a healthy scratch three times in the last month he played on a team with no defense after their top 3. 

OK, but Pysyk was the #5 defenseman on a really bad team last year, and has never played a bigger NHL role than that.  McNabb has played a substantially bigger role on a very good team, which shrunk to a smaller role last year after he missed significant time with injury (I think a broken collarbone) and while the team itself was falling apart.

No one is saying that McNabb is a star, but he undeniably is an NHL defenseman who's thus far had a better career than, say, Pysyk. He absolutely would've played plenty of minutes on the Sabres last season and the season before.

And, sadly, on this team Deslauriers has consistently been an NHLer. That McNabb was good enough to not cause a Norris Trophy winner to suck isn't truly a high compliment.

OK, but Pysyk was the #5 defenseman on a really bad team last year, and has never played a bigger NHL role than that. McNabb has played a substantially bigger role on a very good team, which shrunk to a smaller role last year after he missed significant time with injury (I think a broken collarbone) and while the team itself was falling apart.

McNabb has cosistently been used with Daughty but typically is 5th in ice time. These 2 things indicate less about McNabb's skill level than Daughty's. Edited by Taro T

OK, but Pysyk was the #5 defenseman on a really bad team last year, and has never played a bigger NHL role than that.  McNabb has played a substantially bigger role on a very good team, which shrunk to a smaller role last year after he missed significant time with injury (I think a broken collarbone) and while the team itself was falling apart.

So you are willing to admit that injuries can impact a player. Hudson Fasching had a groin injury last year. It sidelined him from the NHL and definitely slowed down his AHL development. I might give Hudson another year before declaring the trade a fail. 

Well, McNabb has averaged just under 16 min, just under 19 min and just over 15 min.  That is top 4 to top 6 ice time.

One of my kids is a big Kings fan.   He say McNabb is terrible, there a reason they left him unprotected for Vegas to up.   He's slow and has poor decision making.... not a good fit for today's NHL.

Didn't we get DLo in that trade too?  I mean, yeah, he's borderline NHL material, but he provided grit when the team had no other source.

So you are willing to admit that injuries can impact a player. Hudson Fasching had a groin injury last year. It sidelined him from the NHL and definitely slowed down his AHL development. I might give Hudson another year before declaring the trade a fail. 

Well, I haven't declared the trade a fail -- I said it looks that way.  I completely agree that it's not at all fair to judge Fasching yet.

However, my point about the time value of assets remains -- if we get zero out of Fasching for 4 full NHL seasons while McNabb is, say, a 16-min-per-game NHL defenseman, then Fasching needs to become a no-BS top-6, NHL winger in order for the trade to have been a good one for the Sabres.  If Fasching becomes a 12 min per game bottom-six forward, then it was a fail for the Sabres.

Well, I haven't declared the trade a fail -- I said it looks that way.  I completely agree that it's not at all fair to judge Fasching yet.

However, my point about the time value of assets remains -- if we get zero out of Fasching for 4 full NHL seasons while McNabb is, say, a 16-min-per-game NHL defenseman, then Fasching needs to become a no-BS top-6, NHL winger in order for the trade to have been a good one for the Sabres.  If Fasching becomes a 12 min per game bottom-six forward, then it was a fail for the Sabres.

Why? McNabb was basically that for the Kings but on defense? 

Why? McNabb was basically that for the Kings but on defense?

As was Deslauriers for the Sabres.

Fans keep looking at it like McNabb for Fasching. But that means it was 2 2nds for D-Lo. It more likely was D-Lo for McNabb & 2 2nds for Fasching. Have either 2nd shown any sign of life for the Kings? If not, the trade was basically a wash.