2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

13 hours ago, Weave said:

I suspect this is most likely accurate.

Legit concern...... our last two coaches have complained about the team being unwilling to play the game as coached.  Skinner could be more of that on this roster.  I hope not.  I'm willing to play wait and see.

Fair point, but I’m going to assume that issue was investigated by Jbot and his staff prior to pulling the trigger on the trade.  

Wasn't sure where to put this, but here's a post on Dahlin from hfboards - a guy in Sweden who's seen a bunch of his games. Thought it was interesting and worth sharing.

I would too .. earlier .. like a year ago I thought personally that he looked kind of like Rob Blake. I thought that then but it does not fit now. Disclaimer: I live in Sweden and I saw at least 40 SHL games 20 of which were with Frölunda. All of them live on TV.

So he is like 16 and there is a highlight goal that gets repeated on TV and so I pay attention. This is where it starts: what the hell .. what is this, who is this .. and so on.

During the 1,5 years before the draft he went from being the most explosively offensive defenceman to a solid stay at home guy. When he scored the most spectacular goals he was also kind of sort of shaky on D.

But he changed that. And the last 3 or 4 months of SHL play .. I often found myself wanting the young 17 year old on the ice rather than any of the veterans in tight situations. He had only two shifts in game with the olympic swedish team .. during those brief intermissions he has one assist and gives away a goal to the opponents.

I would say that is pretty wide range for a 17 year old with only two shifts on ice.

With the club team he is now one of the (perhaps even THE) most solid D-man at only 17 years. Rasmus at this point is a seriously good defenceman .. you aren't nervous when he jumps on the ice .. you feel safer. I mean that .. I am not just saying it.

And that is where he left us. Quite a few of us are going to follow his career across the Atlantic I suppose but now he is sort of yours. A Buffalo Sabre.

The best defenceman of the SHL last year was Lawrence Pilut and he is also yours. I would not be surprised if Lawrence wins the Calder over Rasmus too .. L.P. is phenomenally good. I hated him on HV71 .. one of my least favourite Swedish teams. He is very very very good too.

I guess I'll be following the career of Rasmus from here from now on.

Cheers

43 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but here's a post on Dahlin from hfboards - a guy in Sweden who's seen a bunch of his games. Thought it was interesting and worth sharing.

I would too .. earlier .. like a year ago I thought personally that he looked kind of like Rob Blake. I thought that then but it does not fit now. Disclaimer: I live in Sweden and I saw at least 40 SHL games 20 of which were with Frölunda. All of them live on TV.

So he is like 16 and there is a highlight goal that gets repeated on TV and so I pay attention. This is where it starts: what the hell .. what is this, who is this .. and so on.

During the 1,5 years before the draft he went from being the most explosively offensive defenceman to a solid stay at home guy. When he scored the most spectacular goals he was also kind of sort of shaky on D.

But he changed that. And the last 3 or 4 months of SHL play .. I often found myself wanting the young 17 year old on the ice rather than any of the veterans in tight situations. He had only two shifts in game with the olympic swedish team .. during those brief intermissions he has one assist and gives away a goal to the opponents.

I would say that is pretty wide range for a 17 year old with only two shifts on ice.

With the club team he is now one of the (perhaps even THE) most solid D-man at only 17 years. Rasmus at this point is a seriously good defenceman .. you aren't nervous when he jumps on the ice .. you feel safer. I mean that .. I am not just saying it.

And that is where he left us. Quite a few of us are going to follow his career across the Atlantic I suppose but now he is sort of yours. A Buffalo Sabre.

The best defenceman of the SHL last year was Lawrence Pilut and he is also yours. I would not be surprised if Lawrence wins the Calder over Rasmus too .. L.P. is phenomenally good. I hated him on HV71 .. one of my least favourite Swedish teams. He is very very very good too.

I guess I'll be following the career of Rasmus from here from now on.

Cheers

I think it moved. This makes me more excited hearing he is good on D to boot. 

There is no doubt in my mind that Rasmus Dahlin will be the best defenceman in Sabres history.

And when all is said and done, he has a chance to be the best Sabre, period.

@LGR4GM might be prone to hyperbole, but he’s one of the few here who gets it: this kid is special.

He is more competitive than Gilbert, smarter than Jack and a better teammate than Dom.

And he is very, very talented.

Some of you are going to be surprised.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

There is no doubt in my mind that Rasmus Dahlin will be the best defenceman in Sabres history.

@LGR4GM might be prone to hyperbole, but he’s one of the few here who gets it: this kid is special.

He is more competitive than Gilbert, smarter than Jack and a better teammate than Dom.

Matt Donovan tho.

• Haha (+1) 3

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Wasn't Dom a notoriously bad teammate? Not really a part of the locker room culture, just kinda on his own? That was my recollection of those years.

I may have already posted this, but a month or so ago, Rob Ray was on with, I think, Schopp and the Bulldog.  He was telling stories about his playing days.  There wasn't a long story about Dom, but Razor did say that he and a few other guys had to take turns babysitting Dom on road trips -- i.e. Dom would get so sauced at night that someone had to look after him and get him into bed at the end of the night.

Just flipped through the Sabres yearbook from the start of last season.

It featured 24 players. Twelve of them are gone: Antipin, Falk Gorges, Griffith, Josefsson, Johnson, Kane, Lehner, Moulson, Nolan, O’Reilly and Pouliot. A 13th wasTennyson, who is still here but probably will never see regular season blue and gold.

We’ve turned over more than half the roster. I will miss two of them.

For that, Jason Botterill, I thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Just flipped through the Sabres yearbook from the start of last season.

It featured 24 players. Twelve of them are gone: Antipin, Falk Gorges, Griffith, Josefsson, Johnson, Kane, Lehner, Moulson, Nolan, O’Reilly and Pouliot. A 13th wasTennyson, who is still here but probably will never see regular season blue and gold.

We’ve turned over more than half the roster. I will miss two of them.

For that, Jason Botterill, I thank you.

O'Reilly and Kane?

I just going over the training camp roster and the split between NHL and AHL is pretty clear for the start of the season only.  I think Larsson is the odd man out and isn’t a Sabres by the end of camp unless injuries strike.  That said, there are 9 forwards who will be starting in Rochester who could get a look in Buffalo over the course of the season, including Olofsson, Asplund, Nylander, Smith, Oglevie Malone, O’Regan, Bailey and Baptiste.  In fact, we have already seen stories about how all 9 of these guys could earn a NHL roster spot with a good camp. Certainly Nylander, Olofsson and especially Asplund showed real talent in the Prospect Challenge.

I think Guhle starts the season in Rochester, unless Bogo gets hurt in camp forcing the Sabres to move Dahlin to RHD. The issue here is max playing time.  He won’t get that in Buffalo yet.  If he does impress in camp, could McCabe could easily end up on the trading block.  Otherwise, Borgen looks like the first callup. He is a good moving physical RHD.  He is one injury to Nelson or Bogo from being a Sabre.  

I also think Thompson wins the 2nd or 3rd RW job, forcing Baptiste back to Rochester.

Lineups

Sabres Forwards

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Erod Berglund Thompson

Sheary Mittelstadt Okposo

Sobotka Girgensons Pominville (Wilson 13th)

Sabres D 

Scandella Ristolainen

Dahlin Bogosian

McCabe Nelson

Hunwick Bealieau

Sabres Goalies

Hutton Ullmark

Amerks Forwards

Olofsson Asplund Nylander (won’t this be fun to watch)

Smith O’Regan Bailey

Criscuolo Porter Baptiste

Cornel Malone Oglevie (Randall 13th)

Amerks D

Guhle Redmond

Pilut Borgen

Hickey Tennyson

MacAndrew Fedun

Amerks G

Wedgewood Wilcox

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I just going over the training camp roster and the split between NHL and AHL is pretty clear for the start of the season only.  I think Larsson is the odd man out and isn’t a Sabres by the end of camp unless injuries strike.  That said, there are 9 forwards who will be starting in Rochester who could get a look in Buffalo over the course of the season, including Olofsson, Asplund, Nylander, Smith, Oglevie Malone, O’Regan, Bailey and Baptiste.  In fact, we have already seen stories about how all 9 of these guys could earn a NHL roster spot with a good camp. Certainly Nylander, Olofsson and especially Asplund showed real talent in the Prospect Challenge.

I think Guhle starts the season in Rochester, unless Bogo gets hurt in camp forcing the Sabres to move Dahlin to RHD. The issue here is max playing time.  He won’t get that in Buffalo yet.  If he does impress in camp, could McCabe could easily end up on the trading block.  Otherwise, Borgen looks like the first callup. He is a good moving physical RHD.  He is one injury to Nelson or Bogo from being a Sabre.  

I also think Thompson wins the 2nd or 3rd RW job, forcing Baptiste back to Rochester.

Lineups

Sabres Forwards

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Erod Berglund Thompson

Sheary Mittelstadt Okposo

Sobotka Girgensons Pominville (Wilson 13th)

Sabres D 

Scandella Ristolainen

Dahlin Bogosian

McCabe Nelson

Hunwick Bealieau

Sabres Goalies

Hutton Ullmark

Amerks Forwards

Olofsson Asplund Nylander (won’t this be fun to watch)

Smith O’Regan Bailey

Criscuolo Porter Baptiste

Cornel Malone Oglevie (Randall 13th)

Amerks D

Guhle Redmond

Pilut Borgen

Hickey Tennyson

MacAndrew Fedun

Amerks G

Wedgewood Wilcox

i think that Asplund has probably earned himself a pretty early call-up this season.  Can't wait to see if Nylander can keep it up and dominate in Roc and earn an early call-up as well.

3 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

I’m not sure about the mechanics, but am pretty sure once they’re listed in NHL camp, they have to clear waivers to make it to the AHL. 

For players with enough experience to need to pass through waivers (the criteria to be exempt vary by age of signing a contract, but range from 60-160 games & up to 5 years (6 for goalies)), each season they need to pass through again the 1st time they are sent down.  Once cleared, they can be recalled & resent down w/out passing through waivers until they've dressed for an NHL game 10 times or have been with the big club a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

For players with enough experience to need to pass through waivers (the criteria to be exempt vary by age of signing a contract, but range from 60-160 games & up to 5 years (6 for goalies)), each season they need to pass through again the 1st time they are sent down.  Once cleared, they can be recalled & resent down w/out passing through waivers until they've dressed for an NHL game 10 times or have been with the big club a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers.

And to add to that:

At the start of the league year, every player under an NHL contract counts as being with the big team.  A move needs to be made to send them to the AHL.  So it doesn't matter if a guy was in the minors at the end of the previous season.  Everything starts over.

On 9/6/2018 at 11:11 PM, dudacek said:

I'd be way happy if he was better than Hasek, but I'm not counting on it. That's pretty hard to beat 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.