2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

And to add to that:

At the start of the league year, every player under an NHL contract counts as being with the big team.  A move needs to be made to send them to the AHL.  So it doesn't matter if a guy was in the minors at the end of the previous season.  Everything starts over.

Right.  Thanks for stating that more clearly than I had.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't think Bailey would clear waivers at this point in his development.  Bailey might not be what Housley wants, but some coach will want him.

I thought that too but if someone picks him up, doesn't he have a guaranteed spot on that team's roster for the year??

Who'd do that??

Edited by jsb

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't think Bailey would clear waivers at this point in his development.  Bailey might not be what Housley wants, but some coach will want him.

I think Bailey and Baptiste start the season in Buffalo unless they really struggle in camp.

Never mind the kids, I just don’t see a scenario where the Sabres keep all of Pominville, Wilson, Larsson, Sobotka, Hunwick and Beaulieu ahead of them.

12 minutes ago, jsb said:

I thought that too but if someone picks him up, doesn't he have a guaranteed spot on that team's roster for the year??

Who'd do that??

His spot on another squad wouldn't be set for the year.  He could get sent down by the other team as well.  And then the Sabres could re-claim him.

12 minutes ago, jsb said:

Who'd do that??

I think the team picking him up could send him down but he would be subjected to waiver claims if sent down again.

Edited by Eleven

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

His spot on another squad wouldn't be set for the year.  He could get sent down by the other team as well.  And then the Sabres could re-claim him.

Right, but they wouldn't be allowed to trade him until after the playoffs.

....and if the Sabres reclaimed him, then he could be sent down without having to clear waivers a second time.

Edited by pi2000

10 minutes ago, jsb said:

Who'd do that??

A lot of teams would take a chance on a speedy athletic cheap young winger over whatever plug they have as an extra right now. Especially if they liked the player as a prospect and think they would provide a better environment

33 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I just spent a lot of time looking over prospects across the NHL...my takeaway is that every other team is in the same position the Sabres are in relative to vets and prospects of all ages. And people tend to be enamored with "their guys" as it justifies past decisions to draft, sign, and retain them. Hence the bar for claiming someone from waivers is not to be just a little better than the guy they will demote/release, they have to be viewed as noticeably better. I don't think Bailey has shown he's noticeably better or imbued with more potential than the marginal forwards on other team's rosters. 

So while Bailey certainly could get claimed on waivers, I would be a little surprised.

I think he's a career AHL / occasional injury call-up sort of guy.  

Edited by Sakman

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Right, but they wouldn't be allowed to trade him until after the playoffs.

....and if the Sabres reclaimed him, then he could be sent down without having to clear waivers a second time.

Well, they could trade him before the playoffs provided they offer him to any other teams that put a claim on him the 1st time he was exposed to waivers.

The 2nd paragraph is true if the original team is the only one making the waiver claim.  Need to look at it more closely in the case of additional teams that made original claim on the player but didn't get him.

2 minutes ago, Sakman said:

I just spent a lot of time looking over prospects across the NHL...my takeaway is that every other team is in the same position the Sabres are in relative to vets and prospects of all ages. And people tend to be enamored with "their guys" as it justifies past decisions to draft, sign, and retain them. Hence the bar for claiming someone from waivers is not to be just a little better than the guy they will demote/release, they have to be viewed as noticeably better. I don't think Bailey has shown he's noticeably better or imbued with more potential than the marginal forwards on every other team's rosters. 

So while Bailey certainly could get claimed on waivers, I would be a little surprised.

I think he's a career AHL / occasional injury call-up sort of guy.  

It'sinteresting which guys get claimed & which makeit through.  Pominville cleared waivers.  The next season, Thorburn got claimed.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It'sinteresting which guys get claimed & which makeit through.  Pominville cleared waivers.  The next season, Thorburn got claimed.

I think that's somewhat reflective of the era...in 2005-2006 teams were not as focused on skill and speed - there was a lot more interest in a heavy line up. A guy like Thorburn (who in looking back looks a lot like Bailey if you threw in about 100 penalty minutes or so, and he scored a bit more at the AHL level than Bailey) attracted people whereas I seem to recall Pominville was waived and sent down prior to the lock-out season when the speed aspect of team building was at a low and I think he was viewed as sort of a softie. Nonetheless, the point is well taken. 

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The whole thing is so unpredictable.  There are countless guys each year who clear that are in this same boat, guys who the fans think would never make it through.

Personally, I'm in favor of keeping them on the roster and sending down the younger waiver-free guys (except for the Eichels and Dahlins of the world).  Depth is too important to mess around with.  For the young guys who deserve to be up, that situation usually takes care of itself with all of the inevitable injuries.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I think both would clear waivers. Bailey moreso than Baptiste. Especially early in the season.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, once injuries set in, teams may try to pick up players like that off waivers, but in the beginning of the season teams have their own versions of marginal NHLers.  And while I don't mind them hanging around in Rochester and providing injury depth, unless they really have breakthroughs I don't see missing them if other teams claim them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.