2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

The player in question is not necessarily a Sabre.  In fact, I doubt it is.  The player also questioned the Sabs' goaltending, which is right on.

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Quote in The Athletic from an anonymous player on the Sabres:

“They all think they’re great players. That’s wonderful.”

I don't think so, from the intro to the article.

It wasn’t identified as a Sabres player.  Might not even have been a player at all.  The panel was one player, coach, scout, executive, and Custance. 

Ranked teams in five tiers, 1 (cup contenders) to 5. (Lottery certainties).  Put the Sabres in tier 4, just outside playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The player in question is not necessarily a Sabre.  In fact, I doubt it is.  The player also questioned the Sabs' goaltending, which is right on.

'On' here means giving your opinion on something, as opposed to being on the team

32 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Wildcard is right. The word I should have used was about.

@aschnitt53
#Canes HC Rod Brind'Amour at media day today on the Jeff Skinner trade and the message it sends to the locker room: "I think it sends a message of what kind of Hurricane we're looking for, what kind of player we want. Everybody's available. You've got to produce;

@aschnitt53
"you've got to do the things we're asking you to do, otherwise you're not safe. So it was the right move. I think the guys understand you've got to come ready to play and do what we're asking. Otherwise you're not a Hurricane. We can't have you."

Those comments about Skinner don't seem to square with Brind'Amour's.  Sounds to me like Brind'Amour's throwing Skinner under the bus when the only problem with Skinner is that they never had a good center to play with him.  We don't have that issue.  I compare Skinner's situation to what we did to Vanek.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Those comments about Skinner don't seem to square with Brind'Amour's.  Sounds to me like Brind'Amour's throwing Skinner under the bus when the only problem with Skinner is that they never had a good center to play with him.  We don't have that issue.  I compare Skinner's situation to what we did to Vanek.

Agreed.

I'm inclined to believe Rod the Bod over Steve Smith's, only because Smith has a vested interest in not publicly embarrassing the guy.  We know Skinner has a rep as not a reliable guy in the defensive zone.

But I can also see Rod using the trade to send a message when the trade wasn't really about any message.  Posturing.

We'll see soon enough.....

Edited by Weave

35 minutes ago, Weave said:

I'm inclined to believe Rod the Bod over Steve Smith's, only because Smith has a vested interest in not publicly embarrassing the guy.  We know Skinner has a rep as not a reliable guy in the defensive zone.

But I can also see Rod using the trade to send a message when the trade wasn't really about any message.  Posturing.

We'll see soon enough.....

Another thought would be that since Steve Smith came out long before Rod the Bod that maybe Rod is pissed losing both Skinner and Smith and tried to justify the moves. Only Skinner's play might answer the question (and maybe not).

My reading of these and other takes on Skinner is that he is a good teammate and a first-class pro in terms of fitness and preparation and fitting in to a locker room.

However, he can be frustrating to a coach because he tends to play the game his way, rather than the coach’s way.

I think Rod’s message is clear: Skinner wasn’t committed to the Hurricanes; he was going to test free agency. And I f you don’t want to be here, we don’t want you. I’m with him on that, and can see myself taking similar position on Skinner as the deadline approaches.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My reading of these and other takes on Skinner is that he is a good teammate and a first-class pro in terms of fitness and preparation and fitting in to a locker room.

However, he can be frustrating to a coach because he tends to play the game his way, rather than the coach’s way.

I think Rod’s message is clear: Skinner wasn’t committed to the Hurricanes; he was going to test free agency. And I f you don’t want to be here, we don’t want you. I’m with him on that, and can see myself taking similar position on Skinner as the deadline approaches.

Hopefully he's with skilled enough line mates this season that playing the game the coach's way results in that being best for Skinner and his personal stats as well. 

And perhaps in such a way that Skinner remains here beyond this season.

Edited by Thorny

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I suspect this is most likely accurate.

Legit concern...... our last two coaches have complained about the team being unwilling to play the game as coached.  Skinner could be more of that on this roster.  I hope not.  I'm willing to play wait and see.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.