2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

FWIW, I kinda think Hunwick will beat out Nelson, beaulieu and Guhle for the #6 D slot, at least to start the season.  

I don't know that he'll beat Nelson and Guhle, but yeah, I could see him taking Beaulieu's spot in Rochester.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Add another name to the training camp battle?

Looks like my favourite second-tier prospect intends to be aSabre, not an Amerk.

https://theathletic.com/491576/2018/08/27/rasmus-asplund-isnt-planning-to-spend-the-season-in-rochester-just-yet/

I’ve said this before, but Pilut, Olofsson and Asplund have the talent to make this team out of camp.  I don’t think they will given the contract situation (all three can get sent down without clearing waivers while so many others can’t).  However, if Jbot is serious about improving this team now, he really should give these guys a chance.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Add another name to the training camp battle?

Looks like my favourite second-tier prospect intends to be aSabre, not an Amerk.

https://theathletic.com/491576/2018/08/27/rasmus-asplund-isnt-planning-to-spend-the-season-in-rochester-just-yet/

I'm praying he's an immediate upgrade over Larsson.

Larsson might have a hard time making this team.

Jack, Sam, Skinner, Okposo, Sheary, Berglund and Casey are gimmes.

Is Larsson better than Sobotka, Rodrigues, Pominville, Girgensons and Wilson?

Can he hold off Bailey, Baptiste who have to now pass through waivers?

Oglevie? Asplund? Malone? All of whom are faster and play a similar role?

Nylander, Thompson and Olofsson, who are more skilled and add some needed scoring?

Training camp should be a battle.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Larsson might have a hard time making this team.

Jack, Sam, Skinner, Okposo, Sheary, Berglund and Casey are gimmes.

Is Larsson better than Sobotka, Rodrigues, Pominville, Girgensons and Wilson?

Can he hold off Bailey, Baptiste who have to now pass through waivers?

Oglevie? Asplund? Malone? All of whom are faster and play a similar role?

Nylander, Thompson and Olofsson, who are more skilled and add some needed scoring?

Training camp should be a battle.

Could be blood bath for certain returnees.  Sadly, I don’t think many guys will win jobs in camp because of our cap situation. I think the changes will comes as guys who are tearing up the AHL get called up and push vets to the trade block, like Nelson last year or Stanford and Pommers from back in the day.

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Could be blood bath for certain returnees.  Sadly, I don’t think many guys will win jobs in camp because of our cap situation. I think the changes will comes as guys who are tearing up the AHL get called up and push vets to the trade block, like Nelson last year or Stanford and Pommers from back in the day.

We have 6.5mil in cap space before we waive players like Larsson. If Larsson gets waived most of his 1.475 salary will be buried in the minors. 

We say this and then it never becomes a problem. Unless Reinhart is signing some 6-7mil dollar deal and even then you can waive and trade guys. 

The key to all of this is that we are discussing the competition for spots that was part of Botterill's plan.  Even if the competition today is in the bottom 6, it's still better than some players making the team without even trying.

This is good.

On 8/28/2018 at 8:54 AM, LGR4GM said:

We have 6.5mil in cap space before we waive players like Larsson. If Larsson gets waived most of his 1.475 salary will be buried in the minors. 

We say this and then it never becomes a problem. Unless Reinhart is signing some 6-7mil dollar deal and even then you can waive and trade guys. 

While this works ok for guys like Larsson, Wilson or Girgensons, the idea of waiving vets with bigger contracts becomes an issue.  Dump Baloo and 1.3 mill sits on your NHL cap and you have nothing to show for it.  Dump a Sobotka and 2.4 mill sits on your cap with nothing to show for it.  Also add in the cost of the replacement player.  We already have 3.9 mill in dead money because of Moulson.  We also have excellent depth in Roch and don't need anymore vets there.  We are also at 48 of our 50 contracts once Reinhart signs.  It would give Jbot greater flexibility to gets this numbe back to 45/46.

Bottomline: Jbot is going to have to find a trading partner for some of our excess players.

Players most likely to lose their jobs.

1) Larsson

2) Baloo

3) Hunwick

4) McCabe - likely has decent trade value and we have Guhle or Hunwick or Pilut or Baloo to take the job

5) Girgensons

6) Wilson

7) Nelson

Players most likely to win jobs in camp

1) Thompson

2) Baptiste (edit: fixed)

3) Bailey

4) Guhle

5) Smith

6) Olofsson

7) O’Regan

? Oglevie

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Any word on numbers for the new guys?

Sabres.com has Sheary at 43 and Skinner at 53, but nothing for Hunwick or the former Blues.

Also hearing Bogosian might be switching to 4.

Bogo is indeed switching to #4. His Sabres year he’s worn at on-ice workouts has it. I love #4 but I was actually a fan of #47, too. Strange but I like it.

Tage Thompson has been wearing #72 since the trade. Not a huge fan of it but I like it more than 32 for a winger.

No word on Berglund or Sobotka. Hunwick I don’t care enough about so I haven’t looked into him.

16 hours ago, Hoss said:

Bogo is indeed switching to #4. His Sabres year he’s worn at on-ice workouts has it. I love #4 but I was actually a fan of #47, too. Strange but I like it.

Tage Thompson has been wearing #72 since the trade. Not a huge fan of it but I like it more than 32 for a winger.

No word on Berglund or Sobotka. Hunwick I don’t care enough about so I haven’t looked into him.

Ahhh all the promise and hope of a young Sabre wearing #72.  At least Lindy Ruff isn't here...

I read on hf that Berglund, Sobotka will wear 10, 17. Not sure how good that info is. Also, i believe they were more sure about Berglund's # than Sobotka's

it might have come from that charging buffalo twitter account.

I also think 47 is a good number for a defenseman. As is 74. 

4 is better though and should look good on Zach (Zack?)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.