2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

11 hours ago, Hoss said:

He announced that during the conference call the day after the trade but the team’s social media guy is unforgivably bad.

I’m curious about his decision to wear it. He wore it in Kitchener, too.

Herbie the Love Bug?

• Haha (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Organizational player list so far

Players on NHL 2 way or 1 way deals

NHL (all players must clear waivers to be sent to the AHL, except with a “nw” players, who are waivers exempt.)

Forwards (14) - Eichel, Reinhart (RFA), Okposo, Pominville, Skinner, Sheary, Berglund, Sobotka, Larsson, Girgensons, Wilson, ERod, Mittelstadt (NW), and Thompson (NW).

Defense (8) - Risto, Bogo, Scandella, Baloo, Hunwick, McCabe, Dahlin (nw), and Nelson.

Goalies (2) -  Hutton, Ullmark

AHL (all AHL players without a “W” are waivers exempt.)

Forwards (12) - Nylander, Bailey (w), Baptiste (w), Criscuolo (w), CJ Smith, Malone, Cornel, Olofsson, Asplund, Porter (w), Oglevie and O’Regan.

Defense (6) - Guhle, Hickey, Pilut, Borgen, Tennyson(w), and Fedun (w).

Goalies (1) - Wedgewood (w).

ECHL

Forwards (1) - Karabacek

Defense (2) - Martin, Stephens

Goalie (1) - Johansson

other NHL contracts

Moulson (buried) and UPL (CHL) - UPL’s deal doesn’t count against our 50 limit.

AHL Contracts

Forwards (5) - Glotov, Randall, Simpson, Dalton Smith, and Veilleux.

Defense (4) - Atwal, MacWilliam, Peatsch, and Redmond

Goalie (1) - Wilcox

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

More roster stats. 24 man roster including Thompson, Nelson and Reinhart

Birthplaces - 

USA born - 9 = 2 Mass, 2 Min, 2 NY, 2 Wis, and 1 Mich

Can born - 8 = 5 Ont, 2 Que, 1 BC

4 Swedes and 1 each from FIn, Cze and Lat

Developmental Leagues

NCAA 11 - prior leagues, 6 USHL, 3 Can, 1 HS, 1 NAHL

CHL 5 - 2 OHL, 2 QMJHL, 1 WHL

Europe 6 - 4 Swe, 1 Fin, 1 Cze

USHL - 7 = 6 went to college and Girgensons to the AHL

Ages

24 & under - 8

25-29 - 9

30 and older - 6 (this number is way to high imho)

Draft picks/Prospects

Sabres Picks - 9 including Pommers

Undrafted - 4 - 2 by Sabres, 2 others

1st rd picks 12 - top 5 (4) , top 10 (4), top 20 (2), top 30 (2)

2nd rd picks 4 (note 3 of the 4 pick 55 or 56)

1 4th, 1 6th and 2 7th

How acquired by Sabres for this roster

Drafted - 8 - (Pommers was re-acquired in trade)

Trade - 12 - 10 of the 12 acquired by Jbot including 6 this off-season.  

College UFA - 2

NHL UFA - 2 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

49 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No.  Only Pommers is a UFA after this season.  I didn’t include Moulson in the caluclation.

Okposo has 5 years left, Berglund 4, Sobotka 2, Hutton 3 and Hunwick 2

Decent chance Sobotka and Hunwick depart.

Also a sort of wild moment remembering that Bogosian just turned 28 a month ago.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Also a sort of wild moment remembering that Bogosian just turned 28 a month ago.

He was who I thought of when I said the over 30 number will decline next season. Him, Pommers, and Moulson

31 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He was who I thought of when I said the over 30 number will decline next season. Him, Pommers, and Moulson

I think it’s a large assumption that Sobotka and Hunwick won’t be back.  Sobotka scores 30 pts and plays decently 2 way he’ll be back.  

As to Hunwick,  he is a depth player and with both McCabe and Baloo FAs at season’s end, it maybe cheaper to keep him.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think it’s a large assumption that Sobotka and Hunwick won’t be back.  Sobotka scores 30 pts and plays decently 2 way he’ll be back.  

As to Hunwick,  he is a depth player and with both McCabe and Baloo FAs at season’s end, it maybe cheaper to keep him.

Regarding both of these posts:  if the Sabres don't want Sobotka or Hunwick, it's pretty likely that no one else will either -- which means the Sabres will be stuck with them.

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Regarding both of these posts:  if the Sabres don't want Sobotka or Hunwick, it's pretty likely that no one else will either -- which means the Sabres will be stuck with them.

The Penguins didn’t want Hunwick and he’s not there anymore. There’s always a way.

Also, do NHL rules prevent players from being outright released? Team just pays the contract and moves on? I forget.

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The Penguins didn’t want Hunwick and he’s not there anymore. There’s always a way.

Also, do NHL rules prevent players from being outright released? Team just pays the contract and moves on? I forget.

Players can be waived by teams.  If they clear waivers, they can either retain the rights to the player or release them by buying out the contract - which results in the typical 2/3 remaining salary buyout & the commensurate cap implications for twice the duration of the bought out portion of the contract.

Edited by Taro T

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Players can be waived by teams.  If they clear waivers, they can either retain the rights to the player or release them by buying out the contract - which results in the typical 2/3 remaining salary buyout & the commensurate cap implications for twice the duration of the bought out portion of the contract.

Yea, I’m aware of that process but I was just wondering if outright release players. In looking it up and in memory it doesn’t seem so unless they have a contract that isn’t guaranteed.

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Yea, I’m aware of that process but I was just wondering if outright release players. In looking it up and in memory it doesn’t seem so unless they have a contract that isn’t guaranteed.

ALL NHL contracts are guaranteed.  Whetherit be 1/3, 2/3, or 3/3is dependent on the particulars of the player's age & the contract length, but they all are guaranteed.  (Would have to re-review the CBA, but for a material breach of contract, there's also ways to get them 0/3 guaranteed, but that would be a very rare exception.  And even those could still have cap implications.)

Guess I'm not quite getting your Q.  Apologies if the answer isn't quite answering what you're trying to ask.  Teams do have to follow the process when releasing players.  The union negotiated that benefit to give players the greatest likelihood of having the full value of the contract honored.

29 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Sure, there's a way to pay someone else to take a bad contract off your hands, but that's a move that a team makes when it's in a cap crunch.  It doesn't seem likely that the Sabres will have that kind of urgency next summer, especially not with Sobotka.

I think Hunwick never plays more than ten games or so here unless there’s a ton of injuries. Sobotka should be useful for two years so there’s probably no rush there. But if they want to move him it shouldn’t be hard or expensive.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Why hasn't there been a way to get rid of Moulson or Bogo?    Other GM's seem to find a way, why can't ours?

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Why hasn't there been a way to get rid of Moulson or Bogo?    Other GM's seem to find a way, why can't ours?

Uh is the answer: because the Sabres aren't deep enough to be able to give up a Conor Sheary to get rid of one &/or they aren't tight enough to the cap (real one or internal) to need to get rid of one? :unsure:

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But to your original point, I don't think the Sabres have an issue with too many over-30s. Hunwick may not even be in the NHL, and he's here short term only if that's what Botterill wants. Hutton is here for a while but it's more common for goalies to remain effective well into their 30s. And as mentioned, Pominville will be leaving. Hopefully Berglund and Sobotka provide the as-advertised upgrade to our bottom 6, and Okposo goes through a bit of a rebound. 

He seems to be providing a stabilizing veteran presence for Jack, at any rate. 

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Uh is the answer: because the Sabres aren't deep enough to be able to give up a Conor Sheary to get rid of one &/or they aren't tight enough to the cap (real one or internal) to need to get rid of one? :unsure:

This and, as freeman mention, they are no a cap team that would have to worry about moving them.

Hunwick is what allowed us to get a player with more ES goals than any non-Jack current Sabre over the last two years for a fourth round pick.

It's not impossible for those players to surprise in a good way, but it's the exception and not the norm, and a team as bad at hockey as we have been, as we've seen, is usually not helped but the presence of bad veterans, as the bad of the hockey part outweighs any "eat your veggies" vet advice.

Edit: dated stat, from before ROR and Skinner trades, but ya get what I mean.

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.