2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

On 9/23/2018 at 7:51 AM, TrueBlueGED said:

It might work, but this was essentially the approach of the post co-caps Sabres, and that didn't go so well. We'll be fine once Mittelstadt is ready to own the 2C spot, but until then, it's more likely to be a struggle than it is to work. 

And we have Jack Eichel at 1C instead of Derek Roy. 

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Thanks for that update.

They had Nylander on Berglund's line (along w/ Bailey) on day 1.  So, they're going back to that.  For those that have been pushing for Alex to make the squad this year, there's a more than reasonable chance that you'll get your wish.

Not sure what to make of Mittelstadt's line.  Still expecting Sheary to be his winger to start the year if he gets healthy in time.

I think Nylander may be Sheary's placeholder, and that @GASabresIUFAN's top 9 is pretty spot on. 

1 minute ago, bg17 said:

I don't have a subscription but thank you. If I had to guess based off of that link description I'm going to guess they're talking about a lot of PP goals

34 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I don't have a subscription but thank you. If I had to guess based off of that link description I'm going to guess they're talking about a lot of PP goals

Not PP.

They talk about which players, Eichel in this case, are good at setting up teammates for one-timers 5v5 and how having Skinner/Sheary talent available on the receiving end should translate to more goals for even tho Skinnner statistically hasn't attempted many one-timers, which the author believes is just because of the level of talent he's played with in CAR.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Housley is going to stick Skinner with Eichel and he won't learn this is an incomprehensibly stupid thing to do until 10 games in. 

I have concerns about how they will work together (both defensively and that there's only one puck)...but I don't think it's unreasonable to give them some time to work it out. I don't want it to be a quarter of the season. But 10 games? That's not exorbitant. 

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

I have concerns about how they will work together (both defensively and that there's only one puck)...but I don't think it's unreasonable to give them some time to work it out. I don't want it to be a quarter of the season. But 10 games? That's not exorbitant. 

How long was Kessel given before Sullivan realized they needed to be separated? 

Everyone can see this being a failed experiment coming from a mile away. There's no need to start in the hole again just to test it out

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

How long was Kessel given before Sullivan realized they needed to be separated? 

Everyone can see this being a failed experiment coming from a mile away. There's no need to start in the hole again just to test it out

But they looked terrific the other night vs Toronto.

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not until a certain Mr. Reinhart was added to the line.

But in fairness, their not fully clicking before the line was adjusted wasn't that surprising as Thompson seems to be a shoot 1st player just like Skinner.  It's rare to have a successful line when both wingers are shoot 1st.

Can see Thompson on Eichel's wing in the LT, especially if Skinner isn't re-signed.  But running those 2 plus Jeff will not work IMHO.

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I predict that Eichel-Skinner won't be ideal but there's nothing wrong with giving it a try because there's a real chance they're dynamite. In fact, it would be negligent to acquire a former 37 goal scorer and not at least try him with Jack in real games 

And that is a very reasonable take.

As long as it becomes a 10 game tryout that simply doesn't click, thatis fine.  The fear that the 2 turnout to have no chemistry but stay together anyway for 1/2 the season is what is potentially troublesome about this partial line.

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I predict that Eichel-Skinner won't be ideal but there's nothing wrong with giving it a try because there's a real chance they're dynamite. In fact, it would be negligent to acquire a former 37 goal scorer and not at least try him with Jack in real games 

Agreed, and it all depends on mix. If Reinhart lines up on their RW, and works well with Skinner, it could be that the three of them form a excellent line. 

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Agreed, and it all depends on mix. If Reinhart lines up on their RW, and works well with Skinner, it could be that the three of them form a excellent line. 

There's this.  And IF it clicks, it just has so much potential.

I TOTALLY get where people want to try Sheary & even Rodrigues with Eichel while having Skinner & Reinhart with Mittelstadt or even Berglund; but I really want to see the Sabres best C play with their best LW & best RW for a few games before it gets scrapped due to too few pucks being on the ice at any given time.  If there aren't enough pucks for Jeff & Jack to click, so be it.  But let's give it a real chance before abandoning it.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

Housley is going to stick Skinner with Eichel and he won't learn this is an incomprehensibly stupid thing to do until 10 games in. 

Wasn't that the same concern with Kane and Eichel? I thought they did fine together based on the makeup of the team.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I thought they were pretty good before Reino arrived, but he absolutely elevated them to a potentially great line.

Wilson -  Kerfoot - Jost
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
Bourque - Andrigetto - Compher

Is what played behind the Avs' stud line on a playoff team. If our super line works, no reason not to stick with it! 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Wilson -  Kerfoot - Jost
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
Bourque - Andrigetto - Compher

Is what played behind the Avs' stud line on a playoff team. If our super line works, no reason not to stick with it! 

That didn't exactly work out for then ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.