Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Things the Sabres are good at: suppressing shots

Things the Sabres are bad at: generating shots

https://twitter.com/LedgerSko/status/928993754513575937

Aren't they near the bottom in goals against? Imagine if they weren't suppressing so many shots. Or maybe analytics is telling us the Sabres are a fine defensive team.

We have determined there will be no supplemental discipline for Benoit Pouliot. After a thorough review of all available angles and a hearing today with Pouliot, it was determined that the head was not the main point of contact.

Per Player Safety

Mike Harrington showed that on twitter at about 730am.  

"Player safety" are a bunch of idiots.

Edited by Eleven

Nolan Patrick is still out with that concussion. You couldn't have paid me a billion dollars to draft this dude.

Does he have Bogo genes?

In all fairness, he did get his head bounced off the glass really violently.  Not much accounting for that overall, unless you're saying he should have not had somebody else do that to him...

"Concussion" in French is "cerebral commotion." http://www.tsn.ca/montoya-out-indefinitely-with-concussion-1.912881

I don't know why I find that so amusing.  I do know that the Sabres lost to a third-string goalie without cerebral commotion last night, though.

Edited by Eleven

“Well, it’s obviously not good,” replied McKenzie. “It’s been an abysmal failure of a season so far and part of the reason is because guys like Oliver Ekman-Larsson have not played well. John Chayka went out in the offseason and they brought in a new coach. They went out and made some moves that were supposed to make them a much better team right now. Go out and get Nik Hjalmarsson, go out and get Derek Stepan, and nothing seems to have worked. Some of that is rooted in they’ve had some goaltending issues and no team can survive the lack of confidence in an a goaltender. They’ve had a little bit of that, or maybe a lot of it at times.

“But I don’t think at this point in time Arizona is contemplating anything with Oliver Ekman-Larsson. That said, he’s unrestricted at the end of next season… if you’re Oliver Ekman-Larsson – even though you might be part of the problem right now, and let’s not let him off the hook because he hasn’t been playing well – that whole environment and what’s gone on with Arizona, do you really want to re-up there. And if you don’t, and you send that signal out, then at some point in time obviously he might be a player that comes into play.

McKenzie notes recent uptick in NHL trade talk

“But that’s obviously the type of defenseman that would be really useful on the Toronto Maple Leafs. Now the flip side is, as I said, you can always make discretionary decisions to make the money work. But there’s a guy who’s making (a $5.5 million cap hit with $6.5 in actual salary this season and then $7 million in 2018-19). Oliver Ekman-Larsson long term is not going to be cheap, and with everything else the Leafs have to do it starts to become a challenge.

“But as I said, that’s where you have to make discretionary decisions. What do you do with Jake Gardiner when his contract is coming up for renewal at the end of next season.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/mckenzie-ponders-future-of-ekman-larsson-with-coyotes/

I don't usually like expansion, but that's at least a great city for it

Tkachuck starts a 'line brawl'

https://twitter.com/mkmolnar/status/930995668465971202

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.