Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Now Montreal has Price back, they are suddenly a contender again. Kinda tells us where the Sabres are with at best average goaltending. We need a bonafide Number One guy, whoever that may be (not convinced it's lehner). New jersey sure is, like Tom Cruise, making all the right moves...

I can't see Botterill dragging Ullmark away from the Amerks though. It doesn't fit his supposed method. 

I could still see Anaheim taking Kane. You can never have too much scoring. We'd only be getting prospects back, but that's okay.

Well, I think he wants Ullmark down in Rochester.  However, I would hope he's flexible if the right opportunity comes along.  He could also go out and grab someone from the open market for the rest of the year too.  I think the value on Kane is more than prospects.  They'll move him by the end of December.

Well, I think he wants Ullmark down in Rochester. However, I would hope he's flexible if the right opportunity comes along. He could also go out and grab someone from the open market for the rest of the year too. I think the value on Kane is more than prospects. They'll move him by the end of December.

I would consider a trade for one of Vegas' many depth goalies to slot on the Amerks if Ullmark becomes a Sabre due to a Lehner trade for example.

Lehner to Edmonton? We know Chia likes him.

If Murray hadn’t coughed up pick 21, he was off to the Oil for pick 33

Give me Ethan Bear or the best picks package and he's yours.  Or perhaps we add something to try and pry Puljujarvi out from them (pipe dream). 

Derek Dorsett forced to retire due to another neck/spine issue. He left the team earlier in the month, but this bad news was just released today.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/derek-dorsett-canucks-retire-neck-injury

It sucks.  I read about it.  It's gotta be really tough on him given some of the words of his teammates.

I agree. Kane had a fit but they definitely were looking for a C. Reinhart is the only player the Sabres had that would fit that bill for the Ducks and I think Henrique is a better buy there. The only question would be if Kane/Reinhart and perhaps one more player could have secured Vatanen.

Interesting with Ullmark being called up to practice. The Pens just lost Murray and they need all the goaltending help they can get. Perhaps there are talks about getting Kane to PIttsburgh and sending Johnson with him? If there's a prospect pool that Botterill knows it's going to be the Pens. I'm sure he'd take Cole back too. It doesn't help the D situation unless the Pens have a top D prospect somewhere. I don't know if they do.

I hope we don't trade with Pittsburgh, as they have probably the worst prospect pool in the league. It's really bad.

http://penguins.ice.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

Come to think of it, it's one of the only things that gave me pause with the Botterill hiring, the state he left their prospect pool in. But they made some good picks over the years, and maybe their current pool is just a mark of 2 straight cups - the prospect pool is going to take a hit.

All the same, I'd rather not trade with the Pens given their current pool.

Edited by Thorny

I hope we don't trade with Pittsburgh, as they have probably the worst prospect pool in the league. It's really bad.

http://penguins.ice.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

Come to think of it, it's one of the only things that gave me pause with the Botterill hiring, the state he left their prospect pool in. But they made some good picks over the years, and maybe their current pool is just a mark of 2 straight cups - the prospect pool is going to take a hit.

Yea.. I simply don't know anything about their prospect pool.  I think lean times are coming for the Penguins.. very lean times.. because regardless of their prospect pool they have age and lot of short contracts on the books right now.

Yea.. I simply don't know anything about their prospect pool.  I think lean times are coming for the Penguins.. very lean times.. because regardless of their prospect pool they have age and lot of short contracts on the books right now.

After Crosby's retirement he will join Mario in the ownership group and they miraculously win the draft lottery.

I hope we don't trade with Pittsburgh, as they have probably the worst prospect pool in the league. It's really bad. http://penguins.ice.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

Here’s the thing about prospect pools:

Conor Sheary and Jake Guentzal were less-touted than Nick Baptiste and Justin Bailey.

Mike Grigorenko and Nick Zadorov were supposed to be cornerstone players.

Steve Montour and Sami Vatanen were rolls of the dice

Edited by dudacek

Well, if you haven't seen it, Kris Russell snipes his own goalie to give the Leafs the lead late in the 3rd and the Oilers lose 6-4 after Toronto adds an empty netter

https://www.fanragsports.com/kris-russell-loses-game-with-own-goal-in-final-minutes/

Yep.  You know it's a bad feeling when even Kadri has some sympathy for Russell.

@lukefoxjukebox

Erik Karlsson: “When I go to market, I’m going to get what I’m worth, and it’s going to be no less, no matter where I’m going.” Nervous times for Sens and their fans... http://sprtsnt.ca/2zSrKBr 

This guy is going to get overPAID come UFA status. He's the best Dman in the league by far, but that fact will remain. He'll be 29 when he hits the UFA market. I'm sure he'll still be plenty good for most of whatever contract he signs, but it'll be a typical "paying for past production" deal.

....,I still hope we sign him somehow.

This guy is going to get overPAID come UFA status. He's the best Dman in the league by far, but that fact will remain. He'll be 29 when he hits the UFA market. I'm sure he'll still be plenty good for most of whatever contract he signs, but it'll be a typical "paying for past production" deal.

....,I still hope we sign him somehow.

Probably won't be room with Dahlin, Risto, Scandella, Pesce and Guhle.  Just sayin.  :beer:

Well, if you haven't seen it, Kris Russell snipes his own goalie to give the Leafs the lead late in the 3rd and the Oilers lose 6-4 after Toronto adds an empty netter

https://www.fanragsports.com/kris-russell-loses-game-with-own-goal-in-final-minutes/

and with that goal he ties the amount of goals scored by all Sabres defenceman this year....... in either net

I hope we don't trade with Pittsburgh, as they have probably the worst prospect pool in the league. It's really bad. http://penguins.ice.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

you don't need a deep prospect pool when your lineup includes Crosby, Malkin and kessel plus others to go with multiple cups. They can still rebuild it before they need to replace those guys.

I can't see Botterill dragging Ullmark away from the Amerks though. It doesn't fit his supposed method. 

I could still see Anaheim taking Kane. You can never have too much scoring. We'd only be getting prospects back, but that's okay.

you bring him up for a few days to fill in while you make the trade and work on getting someone else in (either trade or FA) then he can go back down

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.