Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Carolina has 55 shots on goal in Colorado with 4 minutes left to play still. Their goaltending, however, has allowed 5 goals on 25 shots.

I think they're the best possession team so far this season. Flagg is surprised :P

The final differential was 60-27. Get a goalie guys

Also, Price is sporting a healthy .880 Save percentage and a GAA over 3, and I don't even think that contract has kicked in yet

Nah, Montreal is currently the best team in hockey, if my subtracting is correct, Carolina is 2nd, Edmonton 3rd.  There is very little relationship between shots and winning.

Just watched the highlights, Carolina's defense gave Colorado great chances. The second goal I guess you can put on Ward, but their style is a goaltender graveyard.

The first goal the defenseman (Fleury) stands right next to the goals scorer, terrible defense.

Second goal on the goaltender.

Third the defenseman pinches, leaving a forward to fall down on a 3-2 to create 3-1, nicely execulted by Aves.

Fourth, Slavin is walked, the defense doesn't clean up the rebound

Fifth, VanReimsdyk doesn't cover his man.

So that 4 goals on bad, and really bad defense. Disagree?

Edited by rakish

Nah, Montreal is currently the best team in hockey, if my subtracting is correct, Carolina is 2nd, Edmonton 3rd.  There is very little relationship between shots and winning.

Just watched the highlights, Carolina's defense gave Colorado great chances. The second goal I guess you can put on Ward, but their style is a goaltender graveyard.

The first goal the defenseman (Fleury) stands right next to the goals scorer, terrible defense.

Second goal on the goaltender.

Third the defenseman pinches, leaving a forward to fall down on a 3-2 to create 3-1, nicely execulted by Aves.

Fourth, Slavin is walked, the defense doesn't clean up the rebound

Fifth, VanReimsdyk doesn't cover his man.

So that 4 goals on bad, and really bad defense. Disagree?

I'm not really sure what your point is in respect to the post I made. I've noticed you do this weird thing where it seems like you think I've put a lot more thought and research into posts I make, and then extrapolate conclusions for me that weren't actually there. 

Like, I didn't watch this game and draw conclusions that their goalies lost the game for them. However, I watched the last 12 minutes in which Colorado maybe possessed the puck twice, and saw the shot differential, and noticed that like last year where their goalies are bottom 4, and that they are sporting a save percentage in the .800s, and noted that they would do well to get league-average goaltending for the first time in a while. 

My overall point was that based on studying the Hurricanes a lot last year, it doesn't surprise me that they're owning the puck despite having forwards that most fans would call mediocre. That doesn't mean that I think they're the best team in hockey and nowhere did I say that. That doesn't mean I think other teams with good CF% are the best teams in hockey. I understand that there's more to the game than Corsi-For. But they play a brand of hockey, and have all bought into it, that would cement a talented team as a perennial contender, and allows them to own the puck. That is ALL I'm saying. Defensive breakdowns against the Avs don't change this. Sure, Slavin got walked. Doughty and Karlsson get walked too. Slavin also was top 10 in shot suppression in the entire league last year, if I remember correctly. Pesce was up there as well. I bet goalies don't mind playing behind that. They're 6th best in scoring chances allowed, 10th in high-danger corsi against, and were around league average in those last year with unbelievably bad goaltending. Meh. 

What's the deal with NJ?

Beginners luck, or the real deal?

Best start in forever.

Inquiring minds want to know.

I said in the GDT for our game against them that our fans were going to sleep on them, and then they beat us up. They were better last year than their record indicated and I think they're for real. 

For those who don't click the link, incurable doesn't mean terminal here.

So, I hadn't, but F CANCER anyway, eh?

Slug sighting in the top photo.

He still has to be careful and is at an increased risk of stroke and heart attach.

Oh. I think Gilmour dove and really sold that high stick thing.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-patrik-laine-struggles-cant-many-positive-things/

Looks like Patrick Laine has got a case of the RORs.  Anyone want to throw him under the Greyhound and say he's washed up?

Patrick Laine brutally honest about low confidence he has right now. Asked what he’s struggling with he said “ice hockey,” aka everything.

“I feel like I can’t do many positive things on the ice,” Laine said. “The team is winning, that’s always good but it would be nice to help the team.”

Edited by LTS

Laine's game is like OV's game, he finds space and waits for the puck. Last season Laine played with Sheifele until the final 10 games. This year he plays with Little and Ehlers.

My guess here, and it's just speculation, is that if they left him with Sheiflele, he'd expect 10m next contract. If you play him on lower lines, he gets much less money, then you can move him back to Sheifele once he signs the 5m contract.

Laine's game is like OV's game, he finds space and waits for the puck. Last season Laine played with Sheifele until the final 10 games. This year he plays with Little and Ehlers.

My guess here, and it's just speculation, is that if they left him with Sheiflele, he'd expect 10m next contract. If you play him on lower lines, he gets much less money, then you can move him back to Sheifele once he signs the 5m contract.

He's not getting 5m.

Proof a dead deal is never dead. Ott gets Duchene. Turris goes through Col to get to NSH and the Avs get a decent collection of futures.

Per Dreger

Details from Friedman

Avs broadcast says Avs get Samuel Girard and Vladislav Kamenev...

And a 2nd from NASH. Also Shane Bowers, Andrew Hammond, a first and a third from OTT

And Kyle Turris signs a six year 36 Million Dollar Extension with Nashville

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.