Sabres acquire D Nathan Beaulieu for 3rd

darksabre

No has said how much his 2 year deal is going to cost?  1.5 per season?  2? He made $1 mill last year.  

I think his qualifying deal is $1.05, but since he scored 28 pts and is arbitration eligible, I suspect he'll get a decent raise out of this contract.  

His 28 pts will certainly help his arbitration case, but his demotion to the 3rd pair and later benching will hurt his case.  What's "fair"?

Edited by GASabresFan

No has said how much his 2 year deal is going to cost?  1.5 per season?  2? He made $1 mill last year.  

I think his qualifying deal is $1.05, but since he scored 28 pts and is arbitration eligible, I suspect he'll get a decent raise out of this contract.  

His 28 pts will certainly help his arbitration case, but his demotion to the 3rd pair and later benching will hurt his case.  What's "fair"?

I'd imagine the whole thing gets taken care of before it can ever get to arbitration.  I can't imagine how awkward that would wind up being with everyone on both sides being so new, both the GM and the player being on a new team.  He has to feel wanted after a trade and they obviously want him as well.  I imagine it gets worked through pretty quickly.  Maybe he files, but he never actually gets to a hearing.

As for an actual dollar amount, I have no clue.

Hat tip to Dave Davis for picking out these tidbits from Jack Todd (no idea who he is, fwiw):

My second take was Bergevin did get a bona fide upfront scoring star in Drouin and one who fills a couple of other important criteria for this market: 1) he’s smart, a characteristic that becomes more and more important when you consider the failures of players like Beaulieu; 2) he seems to thrive in the limelight, and if you’re going to be a bilingual francophone star in this market, you had best love some microphones.

Beaulieu should be a regular in Buffalo, but he is not going to be a regular in this league and his frequent brain cramps make him a liability in the eyes of coach Claude Julien, whose opinion matters.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/stu-cowan-habs-newcomer-jonathan-drouin-relentless-midget-coach

These comments about Baloo remind me of Justin Schultz and Daley. Daley was a fit in Dal, a problem in Chi, and solid in Pitt. Schultz fell apart on Edm and is becoming a star in Pitt.

This gives me great hope for Baloo. Jbot had a hand in bringing in Daley and Schultz to Pitt and his first move here is for a very similar player just after he hired a former offensive D as his head coach.

These comments about Baloo remind me of Justin Schultz and Daley. Daley was a fit in Dal, a problem in Chi, and solid in Pitt. Schultz fell apart on Edm and is becoming a star in Pitt.

This gives me great hope for Baloo. Jbot had a hand in bringing in Daley and Schultz to Pitt and his first move here is for a very similar player just after he hired a former offensive D as his head coach.

I was thinking the same thing, with Schultz in particular. 

Any player that can skate and make a first pass can be fit like a glove into the right system, if the staff and team are competent and patient enough. Let's hope we finally have the group that can start to do things like that.

I was thinking the same thing, with Schultz in particular. 

Any player that can skate and make a first pass can be fit like a glove into the right system, if the staff and team are competent and patient enough. Let's hope we finally have the group that can start to do things like that.

Yes, or how about Sekera bouncing around from different teams. I think he is a solid player 

Did he say anything else of note or usual clichés?

I was in the car listening only for a couple of minutes.  The next question was why was he in the Q when he is from Ontario, and it had to do with his dad moving around for work, so he played midget in St. John's or something like that.  Then I was out.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the car listening only for a couple of minutes.  The next question was why was he in the Q when he is from Ontario, and it had to do with his dad moving around for work, so he played midget in St. John's or something like that.  Then I was out.

His father coached in the OHL and the QMJHL. Coached Nathan one year of junior.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=38101

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.