Sabres acquire D Nathan Beaulieu for 3rd

darksabre

Why the hell would they leave a young guy like that with speed and skill unprotected but keep Bogosian?

not saying thwy would but why would LV take Bogo if he's left unprotected? They may have their eye on someone Botteril can't protect but wants to keep? Edited by Murray's Rats

This is interesting.  Would the Sabres protect 8 skaters in hopes LV takes someone else instead of Ullmark?  Or would we just do 7-3-1 and trade them another pick if they agree to pick anyone other than Ullmark?  (This is partially me valuing Ullmark and partially because I don't like imagining the Sabres with zero goaltending depth.)

It's hard to know what Jbot and Wowie thinks of Bogo.  He is our biggest and longest "bad" contract, thus the obvious thing is to expose him and hope he gets drafted if you think he isn't salvageable. However, if he is the "best" exposed player but LV also thinks he's not salvageable player, then the odds of losing Ullmark increase.

On the other hand, by protecting Bogo as the 4th D, the worst that can happen is we lose one of Carrier, Ennis, Larsson or Girgenson.  Losing one of these guys isn't exactly going to hurt the franchise long-term, but LV might like a decent and cheap young player for their roster instead of a 4th goalie.

It's hard to know what Jbot and Wowie thinks of Bogo. He is our biggest and longest "bad" contract, thus the obvious thing is to expose him and hope he gets drafted if you think he isn't salvageable. However, if he is the "best" exposed player but LV also thinks he's not salvageable player, then the odds of losing Ullmark increase.

On the other hand, by protecting Bogo as the 4th D, the worst that can happen is we lose one of Carrier, Ennis, Larsson or Girgenson. Losing one of these guys isn't exactly going to hurt the franchise long-term, but LV might like a decent and cheap young player for their roster instead of a 4th goalie.

But we could still lose Ullmark if we protect 8 skaters, no?

if you are Canada you can hear Craig Button explain the trade

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/button-trading-beaulieu-was-a-necessary-move-for-canadiens~1149078

Basically says they had to trade him because Vegas was coming for him.

Edited by Thorny

I was initially critical of GMJB. I just got this vibe that he didn't understand the value of the entire roster in depth....

But for a first trade this is a damn good deal imo. I'm a fan. 

Many speculate that D-men peak at around 28. There is probably truth to that.

He's only 24. 

Think about it - 0.38 PPG as a D-men last season. Prior season he was .30. .8 PPG difference in a year is a pretty significant jump. 

Who's to say when he "peaks" he cant improve that a little bit more? Know nothing about him. but i think my logic is fairly universal.

For a 3rd round pick? 

I love it

What was it about JBott that gave you this vibe?

I think it's probably reasonable to assume that people don't need to be instructed to "think about it."

Also, 0.38 is not 0.8 more than 0.30.

Thorny of course we can still lose Ullmark. Calculated risk.

I'm still waiting on the great depth trades by TM. Gorges was a salary dump and he was supposed to be a top 4 player when he got here. The Vesey trade was the closest similar deal and had he signed he'd have been the perfect team example, and I do give TM an A for effort on that one.

I said this before TM had no idea how to manage the Cap and find value on his contracts. Jbot already proved he understands both in his first deal.

Edited by yse325

One other thought.  Could Jbot have acquired Baloo so that he could be left unprotected and give LV a better choice then taking Ullmark?

Yes. I think Baloo has more value (and should be protected) than Linus, and I love Linus. 

Edited by LGR4GM

That's possibly but unlikely. Baloo has a game that can run

Really thrive under housley I think. Somebody posted something funny: it went, in a parallel universe gmtm traded Bailey and two seconds for baloo.

TM would have trade Bailey and 2 seconds for a D prospect in the Montreal system drafted in the 4th rd, but who looks like a player in the 4 years (aka the Fasching trade).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.