Cal Peterson turning pro

ct fab

I'm not sure about that. If he's smart he waits on the expansion draft. If ullmark is taken his path to starter is much clearer here.

Good call.

The Sabres would be absolutely insane to offer Petersen the backup job to Lehner. He's a solid prospect and we've spend a lot of time developing him to this point but he still has a long way to go. Like most goalie prospects it will still take time. Look at how much time Dubnyk, Miller or Biron needed and all of them were much greater prospects then Petersen is. He never had a full-time goalie coach in college because ND doesn't employ one and thats one reason why the Sabres send Andrew Allen to ND so often to work with him post-practice.

Petersen still needs development. If the guy wants to go straight to the NHL, then cya. Luckily for him, the only team that would probably be willing to offer him that is the team he probably wants to go most to- Chicago. Because they dominate the regular season so much and have such good depth on their team that they can risk a few starts. It's not like he'd go 0-14 anyways.

I agree with much of this too, but it's still significant to Peterson if Ullmark is taken in the expansion draft.

The Sabres would be absolutely insane to offer Petersen the backup job to Lehner. He's a solid prospect and we've spend a lot of time developing him to this point but he still has a long way to go. Like most goalie prospects it will still take time. Look at how much time Dubnyk, Miller or Biron needed and all of them were much greater prospects then Petersen is. He never had a full-time goalie coach in college because ND doesn't employ one and thats one reason why the Sabres send Andrew Allen to ND so often to work with him post-practice.

Petersen still needs development. If the guy wants to go straight to the NHL, then cya. Luckily for him, the only team that would probably be willing to offer him that is the team he probably wants to go most to- Chicago. Because they dominate the regular season so much and have such good depth on their team that they can risk a few starts. It's not like he'd go 0-14 anyways.

I'm not saying to give him the backup job.  I'm saying he still starts in Roch.  But Petersen knows if a placeholder is sitting at the backup job in Buffalo then he's one Lehner injury/choke job away from starting in Buffalo in a year or two.  With Ullmark sitting there it's another long term viable option.

Do we think Petersen is better than Ullmark? Just asking.

No.  Do I think Ullmark is better than Petersen?  Not sure either.  All I know is goalies take forever to develop and can be very much a crap shoot.  I want as many in my system as possible.  Unfortunately it doesn't look like we're going to be keeping both.

No. Ullmark is a much better goalie.   Petersen is not NHL ready, nor do I think he ever will be.

Curious, what makes you think that?

And I'm not pro or con on him, but his age, performance when compared to other net minders out of the NCAA and the teams need for depth at goalie all lead me to the conclusion he may very well be the next Ryan Miller for the Sabres.

No. Ullmark is a much better goalie. Petersen is not NHL ready, nor do I think he ever will be.

Linus had the most saves in the A last season. I'm guessing most people don't follow both pro leagues and want the familiarity of a goalie coming from college being really good and becoming a staple on the team. Peterson has yet to play pro hockey. Ullmark has played pro and played very well. My money's on Linus.

And I'm not pro or con on him, but his age, performance when compared to other net minders out of the NCAA and the teams need for depth at goalie all lead me to the conclusion he may very well be the next Ryan Miller for the Sabres.

These Miller comparisons need to stop. Miller was one of the greatest goalies in college hockey history. Petersen may not have even been the best goalie in hockey east. Their only similarity is that they were drafted by the same team in the same round. Let's be honest, that's exactly why people keep mentioning it. Edited by shrader

These Millee comparisons need to stop. Miller was one of the greatest goalies in college hockey history. Petersen may not have even been the best goalie in hockey east. Their only similarity is that they were drafted by the same team in the same round. Let's be honest, that's exactly why people keep mentioning it.

Thank you, if he doesn't want to play for us him 

Miller put up some excellent numbers his final two seasons at MSU, some of the best college hockey has ever seen:

GAA: 1.23 / 1.77

SV%: 0.950 / 0.936

Let's compare that Petersen:

GAA: 2.20 / 2.21

SV%: 0.927 / 0.926

You want to compare someone to Miller?   Try Connor Hellebuyck. 

His final two years at UMass-Lowell:

GAA: 1.37 / 1.79

SV%: 0.952 / 0.941

Petersen just isn't at that same level IMO.... a comparable would be Matt Hackett who put up almost identical numbers in his final year in juniors.

Miller put up some excellent numbers his final two seasons at MSU, some of the best college hockey has ever seen:

Petersen just isn't at that same level IMO.... a comparable would be Matt Hackett who put up almost identical numbers in his final year in juniors.

This makes me feel better when he signs with someone else.

Thanks.

Good, gives me more insight. And I now concur, if he doesn't sign, no big loss.

You want to compare someone to Miller? Try Connor Hellebuyck.

Lol, do you have this saved somewhere? It's a good post, I'm kinda shocked every one hasn't seen it.

problem also is here is no such thing as a "sure thing" with prospects, especially goalies, and either way they take years before being ready in most cases. Lehner is actually young by goalie standards and should not be pushed away so easily although if JBotto is shopping him (Lehner) Kane and /or reinhart I suppose he deems them to be problems in the dressing room

problem also is here is no such thing as a "sure thing" with prospects, especially goalies, and either way they take years before being ready in most cases. Lehner is actually young by goalie standards and should not be pushed away so easily although if JBotto is shopping him (Lehner) Kane and /or reinhart I suppose he deems them to be problems in the dressing room

So you think that if he is shopping Reinhart it is because he is a problem in the locker room or am I reading this wrong?

Botterill just said that Cal will go to free agency. 

My take is that there is basically no way that Cal becomes a Sabre at this point. 

"I do not believe he will be signing with the Buffalo Sabres" Jason Botterill

/Thread

Edited by LGR4GM

Botterill just said that Cal will go to free agency. 

My take is that there is basically no way that Cal becomes a Sabre at this point. 

"I do not believe he will be signing with the Buffalo Sabres" Jason Botterill

/Thread

Guess we'll see a goalie or two in this draft (not from the NCAA).

Its been posted 100 times. I get it he's no Miller, though Miller's team was better. Fact is all other talent evaluators say he's a sure thing nhler. Prob is, he's 10% signing with us

Anybody that can tell you he is a sure bet NHL'er should be marketing their talents. Know one knows for sure but several scouts say he is not even best in Hockey East and might not be  top ten in college hockey

Anybody that can tell you he is a sure bet NHL'er should be marketing their talents. Know one knows for sure but several scouts say he is not even best in Hockey East and might not be  top ten in college hockey

^ This.  Oettinger is better IMHO. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.