Cal Peterson turning pro

ct fab

I believe there is much more moving on the goalie front in Buffalo then is being let on.

I don't believe Lehner is staying. He was soft on the posts and at certain critical moments. He called out team mates.

He is a Murray guy. I think he's gone, possibly to Vegas for a D man they acquire.

I think Ullmark and Petersen are the future, hence the Johanson signing today to help solidify Rochester.

Just a hunch is all.

I believe there is much more moving on the goalie front in Buffalo then is being let on.

I don't believe Lehner is staying. He was soft on the posts and at certain critical moments. He called out team mates.

He is a Murray guy. I think he's gone, possibly to Vegas for a D man they acquire.

I think Ullmark and Petersen are the future, hence the Johanson signing today to help solidify Rochester.

Just a hunch is all.

Lehner was good, except in shootouts, then he was bad... like awful... I'm not sure he actually stopped 1 shot and I'm not kidding. Edited by LGR4GM

Scotty may be on to something with Lehner. Who knows what deal, if any, we're working on behind the scenes with LV. Maybe something like this:

We leave Lehner exposed (whom they take), they also take a bad contract (BOGO or moulsen) and we give them a 2nd rounder? I would say we'd give them are first rounder for a MIN or ANA stud dman but I think those teams trade one before giving one to LV. My ideal off season:

Extend jack, Reinhart and Kane

Sign Cal

Lose Lehner, trade moulsen and a 2nd to LV

Buy out Bogo

Trade our first rounder to ANA for Fowler

Signed nilsson to backup ullmark

Would leave us plenty of $$ to add an UFA forward too (winger for Jack??)

Edited by ct fab

"I have no problem starting next season with him in goal," Botterill told Sportsnet. "There are more pressing needs. I liked what I saw from him when he won the Calder Cup."

Robin Lehner faced plenty of rubber in 2016-17.

Buffalo finished last in the NHL in shots allowed, while giving up 34.3 per game. The opponents of the Sabres attempted the fourth-most shots, with 4,943 in the 82 games (an average of 60.3). Lehner faced 1,910 shots, which ranked him third overall among all netminders. He managed to post a .920 save percentage, but his 23-26-8 record shows that he needs more help from his teammates next season. Buffalo was outshot in 53 of 82 games and the team lost 21 contests by one goal. — Rotoworld

That be wonderful if Petersen and/or Ullmark was better than Lehner.
But right now I wouldn't bet on their combined 21 NHL games, eight wins or .913 save percentage either.

I think Lehner has proven he's more than capable of handling the job. There are plenty of other problems to deal with than trying to find somebody to take over in net. Peterson shouldn't see anything more than a starting role, tops, in Rochester next year. And if Lehner can turn in another good year, that's where Peterson should remain. 

Lehner's save percentage was better than multiple Vezina winners this year, behind one of the worst defenses in the league. Not sure what more fans want. Peterson shouldn't even get a sniff of the NHL next year. Hell, the way Nilsson played, neither should Ullmark. The Sabres finished tied for 4th in team save percentage. That's the 2nd highest the team has finished in 15 years. That doesn't need messing with. 

Word from Friedman and Buccigross on Twitter is that Cal is going to FA. Buffalo will be "in the mix" still, they say. So, in other words, we aren't signing him.

The College Draft Pick loop-hole is ridiculous. Why would anyone waste draft picks on College commits at this point? If they turn out good, they go to free agency. Doesn't Botterill have a proven track record of drafting College guys? To my mind that's not good news. Meanwhile there's a decent looking CHL player in Estephan who Botterill isn't going to sign.

Interesting.

Word from Friedman and Buccigross on Twitter is that Cal is going to FA. Buffalo will be "in the mix" still, they say. So, in other words, we aren't signing him.

The College Draft Pick loop-hole is ridiculous. Why would anyone waste draft picks on College commits at this point? If they turn out good, they go to free agency. Doesn't Botterill have a proven track record of drafting College guys? To my mind that's not good news. Meanwhile there's a decent looking CHL player in Estephan who Botterill isn't going to sign.

Interesting.

Pretty sure no one outside of Sabres fans who have too much time on their hands think the CHL sauce machine (I apologize) think this

Pretty sure no one outside of Sabres fans who have too much time on their hands think the CHL sauce machine (I apologize) think this

Think what?

Why wouldn't JB stick with Lehner/ Ullmark? Long as Lehner isn't insisting on longer than 3 year term I don't see him not getting extended.

Peterson gone, he meant.

Edited by Thorny

I project Petersen as a career AHL goaltender.   He's not that good folks.

What makes you say this? I'm not saying you're wrong, but this seems to be a definite minority opinion.

I'm not familiar with the goaltending situations around the league. Which teams can offer better career prospects than Buffalo? The fact that our new GM has little emotional investment in Lehner probably helps our recruiting a lot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.