Cal Peterson turning pro

ct fab

How many players have spurned the Sabres? 

Two college guys the last two years. No way of knowing how many free agents. My point stands. the franchise is viewed pretty much as a trainwreck with whats gone on the last few years. Need to be better. 

Two college guys the last two years. No way of knowing how many free agents. My point stands. the franchise is viewed pretty much as a trainwreck with whats gone on the last few years. Need to be better. 

Kyle Okposo signed here with no issue. 

Kyle Okposo signed here with no issue. 

True dat. I could add that bum that signed with Toronto as coach but I won't. Maybe I listen to sports radio from out west but the perception is for the most part that the Sabres are the little train that couldn't. Maybe one day they'll get it right.

It's happened twice to us now in the last couple years, if you count Vesey (we owned his rights at one time and he chose to go the FA route). Lemieux couldn't have done this to us because he was a NCAA player.

They traded for vessey knowing that he was going to free agency. That was their own screw up. Lemieux claimed that he would not have signed with us. If he held true to that, we would have lost at his rights after two years, as opposed to 4 with an NCAA guy. Remind me again of how the college guy is somehow worse than that.

It's. It a sabres thing. These guys would have done it to anyone. Vessey is the perfect evidence. He did it to two different teams. They are within reach of unrestricted free agency, the ability to sign anywhere they want. Why the hell wouldn't they?

Edited by shrader

People struggle to look at things like this outside their own circle and values.

Each player and situation is different. Buffalo offers a lot of positives and a few negatives.

For every Petersen there is a Moulson, Gorges, O'Reilly, Rodrigues, Okposo or Antipin.

A player is going to decide his future based on the ones most important to him.

How many guys from college truly blow off their drafting team.  Vesey with Nash, Peterson with us and i think the Hayes brothers.  Who else? 

I think the players that do this are the guys who out develop their draft position (Vesey and Peterson) or have a specific reason for looking for a different opportunity, such as close to home, crappy franchise, etc...

With the exception of Peterson (and the risk TM took with Vesey), which college draftees have spurned the Sabres?  Fasching, McCabe, Eichel, Malone, Florentino, Butler, Miller, Vanek, Stafford, Kennedy, Kasdorf and Gerbe have all signed.  College UFA's like Nelson, Ruhwedel, Flynn, and EJ Smith have signed here as well.  

The only Euro that ditched us that I can think of is Hejda.

I'm not at all worried about Middelstadt signing here.  I think he'll be like Jack; play one year of college and then sign.

One way to help insure this doesn't happen is to create a winning team that people want to play for.

Edited by GASabresFan

How many guys from college truly blow off their drafting team.  Vesey with Nash, Peterson with us and i think the Hayes brothers.  Who else? 

I think the players that do this are the guys who out develop their draft position (Vesey and Peterson) or have a specific reason for looking for a different opportunity, such as close to home, crappy franchise, etc...

With the exception of Peterson (and the risk TM took with Vesey), which college draftees have spurned the Sabres?  Fasching, McCabe, Eichel, Malone, Florentino, Butler, Miller, Vanek, Stafford, Kennedy, Kasdorf and Gerbe have all signed.  College UFA's like Nelson, Ruhwedel, Flynn, and EJ Smith have signed here as well.  

The only Euro that ditched us that I can think of is Hejda.

I'm not at all worried about Middelstadt signing here.  I think he'll be like Jack; play one year of college and then sign.

This.

Had TM not wasted a pick on a kid that he thought he had an inside track on (being one of Eichel's best buds) not realizing what a ####ing disaster he had as a coach (apparently Eichel telling bestestest bud to avoid playing for Goober like the plague) then we really wouldn't feel this dread of every potential college kid walking away. Btw, CHL kids can walk after only 2 years, NCAA kids typically can't for 4.

(No wonder JB avoids CHLers like the plague; no possible way to sign them. :p )

Guys will stop spurning the Sabres when they get their shite together and become a decent franchise. Many outside of Buffalo still view this team as a trainwreck. And rightfully so

I'm not sure if thats truly the case.

I think Botterill has made several hints of this now, and that as a organization we didn't really go out and show love to our prospects. Botterill said it with Rochester, that it helps when the team GM or HC come and sees you play from time to time. Botterill said something like between him and Rutherford, they saw like 90% of all the AHL games. Murray was in Rochester about 5 times last season.

Murray was a scouting rink rat. He would prefer to go scout the CHL or some NCAA game then to go and watch ND and Petersen and check up on his development. Botterill just said it after the draft when he was asked if hes worried about drafting college players and he said no, you just need to build a relationship with them (and other prospects too), keep tabs on them, show you value them and they will treat you right.

One way to help insure this doesn't happen is to create a winning team that people want to play for.

This is what really matters.  It is the primary reason I disagree with the "move Kane while we can get value" crowd.  There is value in winning now.  Maybe the biggest is opportunity to sign coveted players players

This is what really matters. It is the primary reason I disagree with the "move Kane while we can get value" crowd. There is value in winning now. Maybe the biggest is opportunity to sign coveted players players

If you can't get a good return keep him. Shows teams you mean business and puts you in a winning mood. Let's win some and that will cure a lot.

Yeah, I've never been in the camp that thinks we should sell Kane for assets.  If we can get a good hockey trade for impactful value that will help us to win now, sure.  I'd like to sign him but if it's apparent that it won't work out, sell him at the deadline, not before the season.

Selling your leading goal scorer just doesn't look good.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.