Cal Peterson turning pro

ct fab

Petersen played 3 years at Notre Dame, not 4.  Takes time to improve.  Takes time to reach a level of potential people say you can reach.  Ryan Miller put in 3 years.  Even Marty St. Louis waited until after his junior year in college. 

Played a year in USHL post draft prior to Notre Dame

Played a year in USHL post draft prior to Notre Dame

I was referring to how many college seasons he played. 

He was drafted in 2013, four years ago.

Miller and St. Louis were drafted under previous CBAs and different rules applied to them.  I'm not completely sure what point you are trying to make with them.  St. Louis went undrafted and signed as a free agent.at the age of 22 (or 21 depending on the calendar date).  Petersen is the same age.  Ryan Miller decided to sign with Buffalo 3 years after being drafted.  He did not have the option of leaving at that point.

Did you expect Petersen to come out before his junior year?  Point being made is that Petersen was most likely not a player that was ready for the professional ranks after his freshman or sophomore year.  3 seasons at Notre Dame helped improve his level of play.  

Edited by GoPre

I was referring to how many college seasons he played. 

Did you expect Petersen to come out before his junior year?  Point being made is that Petersen was most likely not a player that was ready for the professional ranks after his freshman or sophomore year.  3 seasons at Notre Dame helped improve his level of play.  

So you're questioning his decision to leave?  That's fine.  The discussion was originally about questioning the rule allowing him to become a free agent.  So that explains my confusion, completely different topic.

So you're questioning his decision to leave? That's fine. The discussion was originally about questioning the rule allowing him to become a free agent. So that explains my confusion, completely different topic.

Waiting until his junior year was over is fine. What's not fine is the current rule. If a player does not want to play for a team that picked him, he should have to enter the next draft. Go the route of the NFL on that one.

Waiting until his junior year was over is fine. What's not fine is the current rule. If a player does not want to play for a team that picked him, he should have to enter the next draft. Go the route of the NFL on that one.

The NFL route is to sit out one year then re-enter. The NHL rule is to sit out two years then re-enter (CHL) or sit out four years then become a free agent (NCAA). I fail to see how the NFL route is somehow tougher on the player.

Edited by shrader

In the NFL if a player does not want to play for a team that picks him, he has to sit out and then re-enter the draft. It's as simple as that. They eventually have to go to a team that picks them. There is not a sit out and test the market in the NFL. Should be the same for NHL.

Edited by GoPre

In the NFL if a player does not want to play for a team that picks him, he has to sit out and then re-enter the draft. It's as simple as that. They eventually have to go to a team that picks them. There is not a sit out and test the market in the NFL. Should be the same for NHL.

Yeah but the NFL has no rival leagues.   If you implement that rule the player can just bolt to the KHL,SHL or any other European league he wants for a year.

I think the Sabres know he won't (or doesn't want to) sign with them, and that they could also possibly lose Ullmark in the expansion draft...which is why they signed Jonas Johansson earlier than they had to.

I also think that Cal Petersen will want to go "home" to where his career started, in Chicago, and play for the Blackhawks. Stan Bowman went to Notre Dame, and certainly has connections to those guys there.  

Vinnie Hinostroza grew up with Cal Petersen, as they both played together for the Waterloo Blackhawks and at Notre Dame, and he is now a prospect within the Blackhawks system.

Most importantly, the Blackhawks don't have any good young goalie prospects, and there's literally nobody behind Corey Crawford right now, who will be 33 years old this December.

A trip from Waterloo to Chicago is four hours or so, and a flight is just over an hour...so his parents can easily get to every game he plays. (Waterloo to Rockford is a three hour drive, and less than an hour flight.)

I think the kid ends up signing in Chicago, but I really hope I'm wrong.

(Dennis Gilbert, his Notre Dame teammate, is also a prospect in the Blackhawks system.)

Their best goalie prospect is Wouter Peeters, (belgian so I know about him) drafted in the 3rd round last year.  

But like any he is a couple of years away but they did have him come over to work out at the end of the season.

Wanted to see what they got in him.

Yeah but the NFL has no rival leagues. If you implement that rule the player can just bolt to the KHL,SHL or any other European league he wants for a year.

Correct. The player would just go to Europe for a year. Scrap the sit out 1 year and just have them re-enter the draft just like Estephan is doing. It's unfair that a draftee can just wait a few years and hit FA while established players have to wait 7 years or until they are 27.

Yeah but the NFL has no rival leagues. If you implement that rule the player can just bolt to the KHL,SHL or any other European league he wants for a year.

I don't see many players from North America doing that. Why risk injury? Why sit out a year knowing they may get picked by another team they have little desire to play for? Most players, if this rule was put into play, would accept the fact they have to play for the team that selected them. Most already do that.

Edited by GoPre

I don't see many players from North America doing that. Why risk injury? Why sit out a year knowing they may get picked by another team they have little desire to play for? Most players, if this rule was put into play, would accept the fact they have to play for the team that selected them. Most already do that.

Yep. There's no way a player would sit out a year only to re-enter the draft the next year and start the wait all over. Even if they didn't have to sit for a year, they'd be less likely to re-enter unless they really hated their drafted city or team. They would have to weigh the risks and benefits. It would work though.

When the Sabres signed Barrasso out of high school, they started him. They took a chance and he was a superb goalie. If Buffalo signs Peterson, I hope they give him the starter's job and trade Learner. I don't think goalies necessarily need work in the AHL like the rest of the positions do.

When the Sabres signed Barrasso out of high school, they started him. They took a chance and he was a superb goalie. If Buffalo signs Peterson, I hope they give him the starter's job and trade Learner. I don't think goalies necessarily need work in the AHL like the rest of the positions do.

I would argue the very opposite. NCAA shooters have nothing on NHL shooters. At least the AHL gives you a step in between. I don't give an unproven NCAA goalie the starting job when he walks through the door. He would need to earn it. 

The reputation of the City of Buffalo has improved quite a bit lately, including to people from outside the area. It's generally regarded as the latest Rust Belt Renaissance city. It's not New York City, but then again, not everyone wants that.

As for the Sabres, they're coming out of a historically bad period of hockey with a decent stock of talented players. A young player could be discouraged by that because the Sabres aren't good (yet)/don't have a history of winning, or he may see an opportunity to jump into the middle of the depth chart with an excellent chance to get to the NHL quickly, perhaps even as a starter, or how may see the challenge of joining a program intent on building for the future.

So you can convince yourself that this is exactly where he wants to be, or exactly where he doesn't want to be, but only he knows. Even if he intends to sign with the Sabres, it would be smart on his part to wait and see who the coach turns out to be and how the dust settles after the expansion draft to see what the organization looks like and how he fits into the depth chart.

It has nothing to do with the city, it has everything to do with the current state of the franchise. Why do we care anyhow? We are set at Goaltender. This guy has put up some good numbers in College, but he would still be 3-4 years away from starting if at all

Are you crazy? He wouldn't be ready for a starting role in the NHL. There is not one team that would give him the reigns. Goalies take years to develop. Edited by DirtDart

Throw in Sidney Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and you might have something to work with. I wonder how those guys would do with Gionta, Girgensons, etc.?

Not sure what they have to do with drafting/signing college players...but okay. (Crosby and Malkin were drafted before Botterill got there, and Kessel, an NCAA player, was acquired in a trade.)

I don't think we have any evidence how Botterill will draft. He wasn't in charge of the draft in Pittsburgh. He may focus on the NCAA bound players but he also doesn't have the same scouts or GM giving input.

Was he not part of that organization, in a high role that included scouting...and wouldn't any of that be influential to him?

Their best goalie prospect is Wouter Peeters, (belgian so I know about him) drafted in the 3rd round last year.  

But like any he is a couple of years away but they did have him come over to work out at the end of the season.

Wanted to see what they got in him.

So, again...there's nobody of Cal Petersen's caliber in the Chicago ranks.

They also have Matt Tomkins, who is decent...but nowhere near Cal Petersen's level.

Lehner was very solid, on a bad team...let me know when you think of the last goalie to come out of college or juniors and immediately claim an NHL starting job.

Even the Ben Bishop's and Devan Dubnyk's of the world were passed over and traded a couple times. (Holtby, Murray, Anderson, Rinne, Allen, Gibson, Talbot...they all had to bide their time and earn their way.)

Good stuff Dank.

Thank you.

Edited by Dank Dangleson

As for how draft picks have been used in that regard...I kind of have the break-down of numbers, since the 2000 NHL draft. (Granted, this isn't just limited to Murray or Botterill.)

Buffalo ranks 3rd drafting Major Junior players at 52.1%, 20th in NCAA players at 27.1%, and 25th in European players at 20.7%.

Pittsburgh ranks 22nd in drafting Major Junior players at 40%, 1st in NCAA players at 42.4%, and 28th in European players at 17.6%.

But Murray definitely leaned heavily towards CHL and European players, while the Penguins continue to lean on NCAA players in the draft and undrafted free agency.

In his three drafts, Murray drafted 6 NCAA players...Eichel, Fitzgerald, Borgen, Murray, Nyberg and Chukarov. (Nyberg was scouted out of the SuperElit, so he could be considered a European...all the others were in the United States.)

Right now the Penguins currently have just one unsigned CHL player in Connor Hall, two unsigned euros in Gustavsson and Almari, and nine unsigned NCAA players in Bjokqvist, Pavlychev, Masonius, Jones, Lafferty, Angello, Byron, Tiffels, Birks, and they just signed Taylor who was a draft pick...they also signed Zac Aston-Reese as a free agent to an NHL contract, as well as NCAA free agents Troy Josephs and Dylan Zink to AHL contracts.

Long story short, I think we will see quite a shift in how we draft, and Botterill will begin to lean heavily on the NCAA with his draft picks.

Just a few others NCAA players they've brought in throughout the last few years...

Thomas Di Pauli - Signed as an free agent, after he "Vesey'd" the Capitals.

Ethan Prow - Undrafted NCAA free agent

Conor Sheary - Undrafted NCAA free agent

Carter Rowney - Undrafted NCAA free agent

Teddy Bluegers - NCAA draft pick (2nd round)

Bryan Rust - NCAA draft pick (3rd round)

Jake Guentzel - NCAA draft pick (3rd round)

Sean Maguire - NCAA draft pick (4th round)

Josh Archibald - NCAA draft pick (6th round)

Scott Wilson - NCAA draft pick (7th round)

Ian Cole was an NCAA draft pick in 2007, which is when Botterill started working as a scout.

Brian Dumoulin was an NCAA draft pick in 2009, when Botterill was working as a scout.

Justin Schultz and Chad Ruhwedel were NCAA players, whom Botterfill could've/would've scouted.

Lol, again, needless to say...I think Jason Botterill really likes NCAA hockey players, whether it's in the draft or free agency.

(***Sources for the draft numbers are from the Hockey News draft preview magazine...all other information is through my own research.)

This is some great research.

It does indeed look like we'll be on our way to becoming Team America now that Botterill is in charge, much like the Pens are now (Captain Canada, notwithstanding).

Of the 18 skaters dressed for the Pens last game, 9 were American, 6 were Canadian, 3 were European. To have 50% of your roster being American would I think be significantly above league average.

Edited by Thorny

This is some great research.

It does indeed look like we'll be on our way to becoming Team America now that Botterill is in charge, much like the Pens are now (Captain Canada, notwithstanding).

Of the 18 skaters dressed for the Pens last game, 9 were American, 6 were Canadian, 3 were European. To have 50% of your roster being American would I think be significantly above league average.

Thank you, Thorny.

Also, as I sat here watching the game, it popped into my head...Jason Botterill is a former NCAA player himself, he obviously has an appreciation for college hockey players, and who knows how many connections he has in college hockey.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure about that. If he's smart he waits on the expansion draft. If ullmark is taken his path to starter is much clearer here.

The Sabres would be absolutely insane to offer Petersen the backup job to Lehner. He's a solid prospect and we've spend a lot of time developing him to this point but he still has a long way to go. Like most goalie prospects it will still take time. Look at how much time Dubnyk, Miller or Biron needed and all of them were much greater prospects then Petersen is. He never had a full-time goalie coach in college because ND doesn't employ one and thats one reason why the Sabres send Andrew Allen to ND so often to work with him post-practice.

Petersen still needs development. If the guy wants to go straight to the NHL, then cya. Luckily for him, the only team that would probably be willing to offer him that is the team he probably wants to go most to- Chicago. Because they dominate the regular season so much and have such good depth on their team that they can risk a few starts. It's not like he'd go 0-14 anyways.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.