Cal Peterson turning pro

ct fab

Botterill just said that Cal will go to free agency. 

My take is that there is basically no way that Cal becomes a Sabre at this point. 

"I do not believe he will be signing with the Buffalo Sabres" Jason Botterill

/Thread

So why not trade his rights?

Anybody that can tell you he is a sure bet NHL'er should be marketing their talents. Know one knows for sure but several scouts say he is not even best in Hockey East and might not be  top ten in college hockey

The comparison earlier in the thread was less Miller and more Matt Hackett. I've decided not to lose sleep over losing a Matt Hackett type prospect. It sucks, but we will survive.

So why not trade his rights?

Doesn't he become a free agent in like a week? (7/1)

That's not a very long negotiation window.

The comparison earlier in the thread was less Miller and more Matt Hackett. I've decided not to lose sleep over losing a Matt Hackett type prospect. It sucks, but we will survive.

Doesn't he become a free agent in like a week? (7/1)

That's not a very long negotiation window.

Don't you recall the whole Vesey saga?  It's sometime in the middle of August I think.

Vesey was August 15th.  I would assume Cal is same but not positive.

His case a little different, he becomes free agent 30 days after he announced he was leaving school, I think July 2 or 3

There you go.  My bad Boyes.

Vesey was August 15th.  I would assume Cal is same but not positive.

There you go.  My bad Boyes.

You mean I was actually right?!? I'm never right on these things. I always just assume i am going to be corrected by someone smarter than I am.

(or someone with more free time who manically checks and re-checks this stuff while pounding mountain dew and cheesy poofs in their parents basement)

You mean I was actually right?!? I'm never right on these things. I always just assume i am going to be corrected by someone smarter than I am.

(or someone with more free time who manically checks and re-checks this stuff while pounding mountain dew and cheesy poofs in their parents basement)

Well that guy obviously isn't me :lol:

I apologize if this has already been discussed (im too lazy to search it Ill admit), but I thought the CBA stated that a NCAA player must complete 4 years and graduate before he can become a UFA? Didn't Cal only play 3 years at ND, announce he's turning pro, and now stiffs Buffalo? I'm showing my ignorance here, but I just don't understand how he can become UFA without completing college? Help anybody! Thanks in advance.

I apologize if this has already been discussed (im too lazy to search it Ill admit), but I thought the CBA stated that a NCAA player must complete 4 years and graduate before he can become a UFA? Didn't Cal only play 3 years at ND, announce he's turning pro, and now stiffs Buffalo? I'm showing my ignorance here, but I just don't understand how he can become UFA without completing college? Help anybody! Thanks in advance.

He got drafted in 2013. He only has to wait 4 years.

Signability: If a player is not drafted by age of 20, that player becomes an unrestricted free agent. A player not signed by drafted team within two years can reenter draft, assuming they are still eligible, and if they are not eligible, will become unrestricted an free agent. A team has the rights of an NCAA player until 30 days after the player leaves the college. If a player is drafted a second time, they can not reenter the draft. If a player has entered the draft twice and not been selected, they then become free agents regardless of age. A non-North American player can not be signed unless they are drafted first.

I guess we'll be drafting a goalie this year.  

TM should have gotten this guy signed last year and when he didn't he certainly should have drafted a goalie with one of our ten picks last draft.

Moving on.. Now you know why Jbot gave up a 6th to protect Ullmark.  I expect at least one FA goalie signing for Roch and maybe even the signing of a draft eligible but undrafted 20 year old goalie.

Peterson's not signing with us shouldn't shock anyone.  I think he envisions himself ready for NHL duty with only one AHL season.  However, with youthful goalies like Lehner and Ullmark ahead of him or the depth chart, I think he and his agent see greener pastures elsewhere.

I can now add Peterson's defection to another reason to hate ND.  ;)

Botterill just said that Cal will go to free agency. 

My take is that there is basically no way that Cal becomes a Sabre at this point. 

"I do not believe he will be signing with the Buffalo Sabres" Jason Botterill

/Thread

Wishing him lots of this ...

post-1053-0-46139000-1498304379_thumb.jpg

(My shot from 2013 development camp.)

This is such bullcrap the NHL allows it to happen. The player should be forced to sign with the team that drafted him once they turn pro or have to sit out a year as a penalty. As it is now there is no penalty only a reward for players to do this,so why wouldn't they?

I mean this basically allows the players to gain a benefit of being a free agent and going wherever they want if they decide to stay in college long enough. How is that benefitting the NHL? It's a clear circumvention of the intent of the rule and it needs to be fixed.

Signability: If a player is not drafted by age of 20, that player becomes an unrestricted free agent. A player not signed by drafted team within two years can reenter draft, assuming they are still eligible, and if they are not eligible, will become unrestricted an free agent. A team has the rights of an NCAA player until 30 days after the player leaves the college. If a player is drafted a second time, they can not reenter the draft. If a player has entered the draft twice and not been selected, they then become free agents regardless of age. A non-North American player can not be signed unless they are drafted first.

Change that has the rights of an NHL player for 30 days once they leave college to one year once they leave college and you'll fix this bullcrap.

Edited by matter2003

He had to sit out 4 years! Now you want him to sit out another one? You have the right to choose where you want to work. This isn't MLB in 1919. A team can't own a player forever. They drafted him. He wasn't good enough for a contract after 1,2 or 3 years. He wasn't getting paid by the Sabres in any capacity. After his 4th year he has the right to seek employment elsewhere. Sounds pretty fair to me.

It's a shame that Lemieux wasn't given the chance to follow through on his threat not to sign a few years back. It would have been hilarious to see the whining about needing to change the rules just because one guy spurned our team.

It's happened twice to us now in the last couple years, if you count Vesey (we owned his rights at one time and he chose to go the FA route). Lemieux couldn't have done this to us because he was a NCAA player.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.