Cal Peterson turning pro

ct fab

Petersen is rumoured to want to go to Chicago.  

If so ask chicago to trade their best goalie prospect for him. (Wouter peeters).

Crawford has 3 years left on his contract.  He's 32 now, so the timing would be right for Petersen.  Of course Chicago's key players will be older.  Especially their defense.  Keith will be 36 and Seabrook will be 35.   Can't leave out the cap problem Chicago has.  They have Hossa through 2021, and he's already 38.  I'm not a GM, so maybe it's fixable.  

Vesey knew he'd have a shot at receiving immediate NHL playing time as a top 3 line winger.  Petersen won't have the luxury of having multiple spots open on the roster.  He'll spend a year in the AHL, which is the norm for goalies, and probably be a backup for Crawford the next 2.  

Sure, if he signs w/ the Sabres he'll still be in the AHL his rookie year.  But I feel he has a chance to compete for the starting job in Buffalo in the 2018-19 season.  Another thing to consider is the age and potential for the Sabres.  Buffalo, okay a fan biased opinion, is on the rise.  Have a lot to look forward to.  Chicago will be on a steady decline.  Not saying they're on their way to being a struggling, playoff bubble team.  However, they won't be a Cup contender for long.  

If I was Petersen, I'd sign w/ a team like Buffalo.  Opportunity to play and a team w/ a lot of potential is something he has to consider.  

Edited by GoPre

Hopefully Jack is a better salesman than he was with Vesey

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/31/eichel-boosts-buffalo-petersen-estephan-sabres-clock/

*dons tinfoil hat*

You're assuming he told Vesey anythjng other than to run in the opposite direction of Bylsma as fast as his legs could carry him.

:P

It's possible that happened. If Jack was just being open and told Vesey that he hates the system that DB uses, and it's the worst time in his hockey life, why would Vesey sign up for that. I know I heard rumblings of such on Twitter during that summer.

I don't know what Jack said to either Vesey or Petersen, but it was reported that Jack told Petersen that he "has to do what he thinks is best for him." Not exactly, 'dude - you've got to come to Buffalo!'

I am not saying Jack is sabotaging the team, but when you have an honest heart-to-heart with someone, it is usually with an undertone that is not self-serving. Maybe Petersen is shocked that instead of "come to Buffalo" he's only hearing "it's your call."

The good news is this: If history repeats itself, Petersen will decide not to sign with Buffalo, and the Sabres will be in next year's Stanley Cup finals!

It's possible that happened. If Jack was just being open and told Vesey that he hates the system that DB uses, and it's the worst time in his hockey life, why would Vesey sign up for that. I know I heard rumblings of such on Twitter during that summer.

I don't know what Jack said to either Vesey or Petersen, but it was reported that Jack told Petersen that he "has to do what he thinks is best for him." Not exactly, 'dude - you've got to come to Buffalo!'

I am not saying Jack is sabotaging the team, but when you have an honest heart-to-heart with someone, it is usually with an undertone that is not self-serving. Maybe Petersen is shocked that instead of "come to Buffalo" he's only hearing "it's your call."

The good news is this: If history repeats itself, Petersen will decide not to sign with Buffalo, and the Sabres will be in next year's Stanley Cup finals!

If history repeats itself, Buffalo will not be in next year's Stanley Cup Final.  

Scotty may be on to something with Lehner. Who knows what deal, if any, we're working on behind the scenes with LV. Maybe something like this:

We leave Lehner exposed (whom they take), they also take a bad contract (BOGO or moulsen) and we give them a 2nd rounder? I would say we'd give them are first rounder for a MIN or ANA stud dman but I think those teams trade one before giving one to LV. My ideal off season:

Extend jack, Reinhart and Kane

Sign Cal

Lose Lehner, trade moulsen and a 2nd to LV

Buy out Bogo

Trade our first rounder to ANA for Fowler

Signed nilsson to backup ullmark

Would leave us plenty of $$ to add an UFA forward too (winger for Jack??)

Buying out Bogosian would give us cap implications for 6 more seasons. Not a good idea when that's supposed to be our best window to win. Fowler is Anaheim's best defensemen. There's no way in hell they trade him for the #8 pick in a mediocre draft.

no way we buy out Bogo...Moulson maybe although i think the best way to go is to try and unload these contracts like the Leafs were able to do. And yeah, no way Fowler gets traded. Also lerner will be here...he is much better then is getting credit for. and Cal is gone gone gone...

no way we buy out Bogo...Moulson maybe although i think the best way to go is to try and unload these contracts like the Leafs were able to do. And yeah, no way Fowler gets traded. Also lerner will be here...he is much better then is getting credit for. and Cal is gone gone gone...

Still amazed how they pulled that off.  Especially Phaneuf's contract.  

Buying out Bogosian would give us cap implications for 6 more seasons. Not a good idea when that's supposed to be our best window to win. Fowler is Anaheim's best defensemen. There's no way in hell they trade him for the #8 pick in a mediocre draft.

I'm not really sure why people keep posting trades with Fowler. He's not moving.

This is not a mediocre draft. This is a misconception because the top pick in this draft is not on the level of Matthews, Laine, Eichel, McClavicle

Where is this analysis coming from PI, your own personal opinion I take it? He's a better prospect coming out of college than Ryan Miller, and Miller turned out okay, I would say.

It'd be nice to have a well thought of goalie in the system, but I don't think the bolded is correct at all. 

Word from Friedman and Buccigross on Twitter is that Cal is going to FA. Buffalo will be "in the mix" still, they say. So, in other words, we aren't signing him.

The College Draft Pick loop-hole is ridiculous. Why would anyone waste draft picks on College commits at this point? If they turn out good, they go to free agency. Doesn't Botterill have a proven track record of drafting College guys? To my mind that's not good news. Meanwhile there's a decent looking CHL player in Estephan who Botterill isn't going to sign.

Interesting.

It probably serves a team better to take that late round stab at a college guy over a CHL guy.  You control the player for 4 years, giving you more time to figure out whether or not they're worth anything.  Compare that to having to make your mind up after two years when the player is still a teenager, very early in their development curve.  I think that was a big part of Murray's approach to the draft.  There was a good number of USHL/NCAA and europeans taken with the later picks.

This is not a mediocre draft. This is a misconception because the top pick in this draft is not on the level of Matthews, Laine, Eichel, McClavicle

So would you say it's a good draft then? Better than 2013, 2014, 2015, or 2016? If not, you're just arguing semantics. Mediocre isn't bad, it's average.

I think 95 percent chance he's gone. If Vegas takes ullmark then odds would increase substantially he signs with us. If we lose ullmark and Petersen in one offseason....not good. Not good at all.

Edited by Derrico

It appears that Jack may not be the ambassador the Sabres need

Unless you're from the area, Buffalo's reputation is pretty darn poor

Sabres recent history is pretty darn poor also

An educated hockey player is not going to sign here unless you overpay

He's going to get an ELC so his dream team or city has the edge in this 

He is gone although I hope I'm wrong, even if he's not as good as advertised by some, he'd be an improvement in depth that this team sorely needs.

He is gone although I hope I'm wrong, even if he's not as good as advertised by some, he'd be an improvement in depth that this team sorely needs.

Yea, I don't think it looks good for him signing with us either. We need to start winning to recruit/keep these guys. Winning can cure a lot

So would you say it's a good draft then? Better than 2013, 2014, 2015, or 2016? If not, you're just arguing semantics. Mediocre isn't bad, it's average.

better then 2014, maybe a step below 2013 but similar. More depth I think then 2016

Because Jack told him Buffalo is awesome but he needs to do what he thinks is best?

Why would an educated player not sign for Buffalo? Is Okposo uneducated? Did we overpay for him? This argument doesn't hold water at all.

Yea, I don't think it looks good for him signing with us either. We need to start winning to recruit/keep these guys. Winning can cure a lot

We needed to have a NHL spot for him and we don't. Maybe he thinks he's ready and the rest is just bs woe is Buffalo crap.

Where is this analysis coming from PI, your own personal opinion I take it? He's a better prospect coming out of college than Ryan Miller, and Miller turned out okay, I would say.

Miller put up some excellent numbers his final two seasons at MSU:

GAA: 1.23 / 1.77

SV%: 0.950 / 0.936

Let's compare that Petersen:

GAA: 2.20 / 2.21

SV%: 0.927 / 0.926

You want to compare someone to Miller?   Try Connor Hellebuyck.  

His final two years at UMass-Lowell:

GAA: 1.37 / 1.79

SV%: 0.952 / 0.941

Petersen just isn't at that same level IMO.

The reputation of the City of Buffalo has improved quite a bit lately, including to people from outside the area.  It's generally regarded as the latest Rust Belt Renaissance city.  It's not New York City, but then again, not everyone wants that.

As for the Sabres, they're coming out of a historically bad period of hockey with a decent stock of talented players.  A young player could be discouraged by that because the Sabres aren't good (yet)/don't have a history of winning, or he may see an opportunity to jump into the middle of the depth chart with an excellent chance to get to the NHL quickly, perhaps even as a starter, or how may see the challenge of joining a program intent on building for the future.

So you can convince yourself that this is exactly where he wants to be, or exactly where he doesn't want to be, but only he knows.  Even if he intends to sign with the Sabres, it would be smart on his part to wait and see who the coach turns out to be and how the dust settles after the expansion draft to see what the organization looks like and how he fits into the depth chart.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.