Tim Murray Press Conference 2:00 PM EST

Thwomp!

I think Bylsma stays,... on the condition that GMTM is still around, as he alluded to.

Also, on the condition that he agrees to changing his coaching style.

GMTM hates speaking in public.

I'm a little uncomfortable with Jack having a say in who the coach is but I get it (I'm sure it would be only a small piece of GMTM's decision, anyway.)

I am convinced now more than ever that none of us has any clue as to what goes on in the locker room (relationships between players and players, players and coaches, what is coached an who is listening to it,...)

I am also convinced more than ever that if we did absolutely nothing over the summer, we would be better next year just by maturing. I know I sound like Darcy saying that we just needed the "Core" to mature, but this is different. Those guys all had time to develop in the AHL. The guys on this team that we are all counting on to be good are sooooooo young.

Edited by SmarmD

I think Bylsma stays,... on the condition that GMTM is still around, as he alluded to.

I'm a little uncomfortable with Jack having a say in who the coach is but I get it (I'm sure it would be only a small piece of GMTM's decision, anyway.)

I am convinced now more than ever that none of us has any clue as to what goes on in the locker room (relationships between players and players, players and coaches, what is coached an who is listening to it,...)

I am also convinced more than ever that if we did absolutely nothing over the summer, we would be better next year just by maturing. I know I sound like Darcy saying that we just needed the "Core" to mature, but this is different. Those guys all had time to develop in the AHL. The guys on this team that we are all counting on to be good are sooooooo young.

I'm quietly praying for an 05-06 level bump from the Fasching/Baptiste/Carrier group next season for sure. It could happen and would help immensely.

But...but...but...I thought all coaches were the same and systems didn't matter? That's what you've been claiming all season, anyway. Edited by TrueBlueGED

I'm quietly praying for an 05-06 level bump from the Fasching/Baptiste/Carrier group next season for sure. It could happen and would help immensely.

Maybe not to that level, but I see a bump happening.

And Dan's also gotta lose that pairings concept. Create lines and develop some fn chemistry.

But...but...but...I thought all coaches were the same and systems didn't matter? That'd what you've been claiming all season, anyway.

I said style, not system. It was said today that he barely talks to the players and works on what the other team does more than what they should be doing.

And it's been stated over and over that they are coached on what to do and then don't do it. Using logic tells me that we might not even know what his system is cause they aren't playing it. I mean, some of the things I saw some of our players do this year just couldn't have been coached,... I mean, they couldn't, right?

Edited by SmarmD

Maybe not to that level, but I see a bump happening.

And Dan's also gotta lose that pairings concept. Create lines and develop some fn chemistry.

I said style, not system. It was said today that he barely talks to the players and works on what the other team does more than what they should be doing.

And it's been stated over and over that they are coached on what to do and then don't do it. Using logic tells me that we might not even know what his system is cause they aren't playing it. I mean, some of the things I saw some of our players do this year just couldn't have been coached,... I mean, they couldn't, right?

You're not the only one allowed to smarm ;)

I like the way Murray handled the press. I thought he was a straight shooter like he mostly has been and like that he was willing to take his share of the blame. Like how he handled the Kulikov questions and said he would shoulder the blame for how that trade turned out and for how Kulikovs season went. Wouldn't lay any of the blame at the feet of the player.

To expand on Murray's comments a little more, I think he may have taken a bit too hands-off of an approach with the team and now he regrets that. He expected that Dan and the players would set up a structure and a culture without needing his input, but it appears that this hasn't happened. He was asked to solve problems that he thought the coach should have been able to solve. Little things like player discipline, team rules, etc. 

I suspect in the future Murray will be more involved in the day to day stuff of the team unless he has a coach who he can leave alone. 

The questions for me now are:

Does he believe the mess that has been made is something that Bylsma can fix?

Has Bylsma lost the room beyond reconciliation? 

Which players were not good teammates/influences, etc., and can they be reclaimed or do they need to be moved at all costs?

I'll say this:  If GMTM thinks it's DD's job to set and monitor the culture of the team, and TM needs to step in, that's got to be a major failure on the part of his coach.

I'll say this:  If GMTM thinks it's DD's job to set and monitor the culture of the team, and TM needs to step in, that's got to be a major failure on the part of his coach.

Murray saying he would be picking the new captain was semi-remarkable. I always thought that was a coach's call.

Really, when you think about it, it becomes very clear what Kyle Okposo means to this team and why we were so bad with him out of the lineup.

This, along with the other comments about his health, makes me sad.  :(

Yeah that makes sense.  As posters have supposed in the other thread, hopefully the delay wouldn't cause GMTM to miss the boat on some of these other (currently) available coaches.

We haven't see who the available coaches are.  One or two more are certain to drop in the next week or so.

What if I am not the real Liger?!? 

giphy.gif

I <3 Italian Spiderman.

Either way I have just spent at least a minute watching that gif on loop.

Then you'll love this:

None of that makes him an expert in evaluating NHL head coaches.

Yeah, not like us, eh?

Like I said somewhere else, Murray did a marvelous job walking the line on Bylsma.

It's clear his future is not set in stone, it's just not clear why, or which way Murray is leaning.

The fact that he gave mixed signals seems to mean that he's made a decision but won't announce it until he's spoken to the owner.

You ain't Jack Eichel.

Do we really *know* that?

I guess the question is how much influence should Eichel have on things?

I think the real question is:  Can GMTM make the changes this team needs (whether or not they happen to agree with Sir Jack's preference notwithstanding)?

Dan's status being left up in the air a tiny bit is weird. Sounds like the Pegulas couldn't be bothered to have a timely meeting with the GM of one of their non-football teams, so the uncertainty has to be there until Murray can sit them down and explain things. Tim probably didn't want to get out front of the owners.

Hut-one, hut-two.

Priorities.  Waiting a few days won't make a big difference.  They happened to go with the football thing this time, no big deal.  There's nothing so compelling about DD's status that it simply had to be decided right now.

And calling the Kulikov Trade a bad one probably eliminates him returning here

Ya think?

Edited by Doohickie

No. Eichel is just a kid breaking into the league, not somebody you take orders from.

Hypothetical of course, but let's say Eichel tells GMTM if DB stays he goes. Would you still say this then, or let a guaranteed franchise talent walk just because he's young?

I like the way Murray handled the press. I thought he was a straight shooter like he mostly has been and like that he was willing to take his share of the blame. Like how he handled the Kulikov questions and said he would shoulder the blame for how that trade turned out and for how Kulikovs season went. Wouldn't lay any of the blame at the feet of the player.

I've always respected TM for this. In a type of business where most people try to hide as much as possible, he's always honest and open to talking about just about anything.

GMTM basically trashed Bylsma without trashing him..."I think you should spend a little less time worrying about the other team and maybe a little more time with a coffee in your hand walking through the locker room getting to know your players more".

That is about as damning a thing to say as you possibly could about a coach.  No matter what you want to believe, coaching and management, in general, is about PEOPLE.  If you cannot build some type of relationships with the people you manage, the chances of you being able to succeed with them are very slim.  It's obvious the players didn't have much of a relationship with him, and when you don't have much of a relationship with them, it's a lot easier to simply put in the "minimum" amount of effort.  To tune him out.  To not go to the wall for him. People want to think this type of thing doesn't matter but it does...a LOT more than most people realize.  This is why great managers and leaders can take over a company and get phenomenal results with 95% of the SAME people the previous manager had who got crappy results.  It's about knowing your people, holding them accountable, putting them in a position to succeed, believing in them when maybe they don't believe in themselves and letting them know you care about them not only as players but also as human beings...you showcase strengths and hide weaknesses, as you work on improving their weaknesses.  

The same exact thing happened in Pittsburgh with Bylsma as it is here and if he cannot build some type of relationships with his players it's pretty obvious why.  You cannot be an effective leader when your employees think you don't care about them and they don't know or understand what you want from them. If this is true, there are a lot of frustrated players in that dressing room.

Edited by matter2003

Hypothetical of course, but let's say Eichel tells GMTM if DB stays he goes. Would you still say this then, or let a guaranteed franchise talent walk just because he's young?

Goes where exactly?   He's under contract this coming season and then he's an RFA.

He has no leverage, he can't go anywhere until he's 26.  

Antipin's Contract isn't up with the KHL until April 30th, perhaps that's why he can't mention anything definitive yet.

And calling the Kulikov Trade a bad one probably eliminates him returning here

I do hope hey can sign Antipin..and you're probably right about Kulikov although I do think he is far better then we saw and at the end there he was really starting to play good although it was too late by then...wonder how much he will command after a injury-filled year?

I understand why GMTM wasn't so happy to answer questions about Okposo.   The guy is still recovering and there are rumours on other boards he might be done playing in the NHL.

yes sports fans it's the dreaded and long-running Buffalo sabre curse striking yet again. If this is true and Kyle is done and we are stuck with a big cap-hit and we lose clearly a great person and player it will be a major blow yet again. Seems just when we think "nothing else can go wrong or our luck can't get any worse"...it does. Lets face it, luck plays a major part of any situation and while teams like the Oilers the Leafs and Winnipeg moving uo and getting Laine have been extremely lucky, we have had the opposite. we lost the lottery draws and the truth is whether we like to admit it or not, freak injuries have hurt his team immeasurably especially this pass season. I have no doubt that if jack never gets hurt, if Kulkov had not skated into a open door, if OReilly and okoposo hadn't missed stretches and of course if Kane hadn't missed a ton of games and wound up with 35 to 40 goals thi steam may very well have been a playoff team. either way I do not think it is all the doom  and gloom we sometimes feel it is...there is lots of potential here and the biggest problem moving forward is Blysma getting that potential out of the players. I am sorry but I don;t buy that Ottawa or Boston or whoever has that much more talent then our lineup. they just get so much out of players and seem to always get players to play over their heads, unlike many of ours who sees to under-perform if anything

yes sports fans it's the dreaded and long-running Buffalo sabre curse striking yet again. If this is true and Kyle is done and we are stuck with a big cap-hit and we lose clearly a great person and player it will be a major blow yet again. Seems just when we think "nothing else can go wrong or our luck can't get any worse"...it does. Lets face it, luck plays a major part of any situation and while teams like the Oilers the Leafs and Winnipeg moving uo and getting Laine have been extremely lucky, we have had the opposite. we lost the lottery draws and the truth is whether we like to admit it or not, freak injuries have hurt his team immeasurably especially this pass season. I have no doubt that if jack never gets hurt, if Kulkov had not skated into a open door, if OReilly and okoposo hadn't missed stretches and of course if Kane hadn't missed a ton of games and wound up with 35 to 40 goals thi steam may very well have been a playoff team. either way I do not think it is all the doom  and gloom we sometimes feel it is...there is lots of potential here and the biggest problem moving forward is Blysma getting that potential out of the players. I am sorry but I don;t buy that Ottawa or Boston or whoever has that much more talent then our lineup. they just get so much out of players and seem to always get players to play over their heads, unlike many of ours who sees to under-perform if anything

We wouldn't be. If he is that injured he will go on LTIR and we recover that cap hit. Think the flyers and Pronger who sat out the last what? 3 or 4 years of his deal on LTIR.

Hey Tim..................

giphy.gif

I bet Vegas announces him as coach today.

I'm pretty sure he was inferring that if he re-signed Gionta, the captain, then Murray would be bestowing the team again with its captain.

I didn't hear it that way

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.