Tim Murray Press Conference 2:00 PM EST

Thwomp!

The interesting part to me was the talk about how coaches need to focus on our team not scouting the other team and watching 3 hours of video a day. I think Murray dislikes the fact that the opposing teams received more attention than our team. We saw that sometimes we tried to play other teams games and I think that was coaching. 

Also as someone noted, Kyle Okposo is very valuable to this team. I think that is very clear. I hope he is able to get healthy but first and foremost Okposo and his family need to take care of themselves. 

No. Eichel is just a kid breaking into the league, not somebody you take orders from.

That kid just out produced every single member of his team while playing in less games that just about all those vets. Jack Eichel is the heart of Buffalo. 

The interesting part to me was the talk about how coaches need to focus on our team not scouting the other team and watching 3 hours of video a day. I think Murray dislikes the fact that the opposing teams received more attention than our team. We saw that sometimes we tried to play other teams games and I think that was coaching.

Also as someone noted, Kyle Okposo is very valuable to this team. I think that is very clear. I hope he is able to get healthy but first and foremost Okposo and his family need to take care of themselves.

That kid just out produced every single member of his team while playing in less games that just about all those vets. Jack Eichel is the heart of Buffalo.

He's a very good hockey player and a kid. I would take his evaluation of DB with a grain of salt.

He's a very good hockey player and a kid. I would take his evaluation of DB with a grain of salt.

He's the best hockey player on the team and a young adult. He didn't become the best player on the team by slacking off and not taking his craft seriously. 

He didn't get mad and he explained his impatience.

Of all the things to get irritated about in today's presser--and there are a lot--I'm surprised that a couple of people are pissed about this.

And not surprised by who is pissed.

I just listened to the replay on WGR and a couple of things stood out to me

1) DD is almost certainly going to be the coach unless Terry says otherwise. However he and his staff will need to focus on player coaching and not system coaching; focusing on getting players into roles that fit their skills. This should make Flagg happier. More individual structure and less system structure. Also less game planning. If you are in the dump DD camp, I thought the comment that the players didn't pay attention was very telling.

2) GMTM acknowledging that he didn't get the right players to run his fast paced puck possession/transition offense, especially the defense and fixing the D is the top priority. I take this to mean that Kulikov and Franson are gone and so could be Bogo and Gorges. Nice of him to bring up Kulikov's one good game and admit it was a bad trade. Also I like that he said the roster forced us to play more dump and chase then he wanted.

3) Feels certain prospects will contribute next season - Guhle, Baptiste and Ullmark head the with a chance for Nelson and Nylander.

4) Locker-room leadership sucked and certain vet leader will be replaced with vets with Cup experience.

5) GMTM acknowledged the team didn't have adequate depth, but no one asked him why.

6) This is Jack's team and his input is important, but not controlling.

Bottomline is that there is going to be big turnover this summer.

Edited by GASabresFan

If Jack Eichel told Murray point blank he wants Bylsma gone, should Murray make Bylsma gone?

I think Eichel is the level of star player that can make this sort of request. Yes he is young, but there have been similar situations (mostly in Basketball) where a star like LeBron basically picks his coach.

1) DD is almost certainly going to be the coach unless Terry says otherwise. However he and his staff will need to focus on player coaching and not system coaching; focusing on getting players into roles that fit their skills. This should make Flagg happier. More individual structure and less system structure. Also less game planning. If you are in the dump DD camp, I thought the comment that the players didn't pay attention was very telling.

2) GMTM acknowledging that he didn't get the right players to run his fast paced puck possession/transition offense, especially the defense and fixing the D is the top priority. I take this to mean that Kulikov and Franson are gone and so could be Bogo and Gorges. Nice of him to bring up Kulikov's one good game and admit it was a bad trade. Also I like that he said the roster forced us to play more dump and chase then he wanted.

3) Feels certain prospects will contribute next season - Guhle, Baptiste and Ullmark head the with a chance for Nelson and Nylander.

4) Locker-room leadership sucked and certain vet leader will be replaced with vets with Cup experience.

5) GMTM acknowledged the team didn't have adequate depth, but no one asked him why.

Funnily enough, I got the exact opposite impression. Everyone just sees what they want to I guess eh? :) 

That wouldn't make me happier because Dan's coaching the same way and the same thing he did in 2010. No meaningful changes will be had. The locker room is already gone, lost, never to be found again.

2.) I liked hearing the stuff about transition and possession. Again, the opposite of what Bylsma's system does well. 

3.)I was surprised by how high he was on Baptiste. After Baptiste's goal against St. Louis and this, I'm very intrigued to see him. Here's to him becoming Conor Sheary

The rest: I agree/saw the same thing

Where did you get that from? That has been my biggest beef with DD -- forcing players into a system that they do not have the skillset to play. I hope you're right.

No. Eichel is just a kid breaking into the league, not somebody you take orders from.

Thank you.

Saved me some keystrokes.

The GM should not listen to any player who says they want the coach fired.  Especially a kid just starting out.

If Eich did ever say such a thing and I was the GM hearing it I would have to wonder about the kid and his future on my team.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

He's the best hockey player on the team and a young adult. He didn't become the best player on the team by slacking off and not taking his craft seriously.

None of that makes him an expert in evaluating NHL head coaches.

Thank you.

Saved me some keystrokes.

The GM should not listen to any player who says they want the coach fired.  Especially a kid just starting out.

If Eich did ever say such a thing and I was the GM hearing it I would have to wonder about the kid and his future on my team.

This is an archaic mindset, and it's the kind of thing that sinks businesses that should be doing things like innovating. Eichel is your most talented employee, and as a GM you have to give him what he needs to help your team succeed. He's not Paul Bissonnette. 20 year old Jack Eichel should be taken very seriously. 

He did address it though, if not in the way you want; he said he believes the depth is being developed in the Baptistes and Baileys and Ullmarks and the guys coming behind them.

It's just not ready yet, and you can't force that timeline.

Funnily enough, I got the exact opposite impression. Everyone just sees what they want to I guess eh? :)

Like I said somewhere else, Murray did a marvelous job walking the line on Bylsma.

It's clear his future is not set in stone, it's just not clear why, or which way Murray is leaning.

This is an archaic mindset, and it's the kind of thing that sinks businesses that should be doing things like innovating. Eichel is your most talented employee, and as a GM you have to give him what he needs to help your team succeed. He's not Paul Bissonnette. 20 year old Jack Eichel should be taken very seriously. 

Well, yes, I readily admit to being old and out-dated ...  ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.