Tim Murray Press Conference 2:00 PM EST

Thwomp!

Everyone says DD didn't adjust his system to the crappy players he had.  That simply isn't true.  Yes his system is the NHL version of the fast brake, but he played trap early in the season and then to mostly a dump and chase mode with Jack being allowed the freedom to skate the puck up when ever he choose.  Last I looked that isn't a fast break.  GMTM admitted he gave DD a dump and chase roster in the press conference, despite knowing DD's system.

I think DD is perfectly capable of changing his system to fit his players and will do so if required by TM and by circumstance.  Let's not forget that DD won the Jack Adams the year in Pit when he lost Sid and Malkin for much of the season.  He adjusted there and kept on winning and deserved the award.  Let's also not forget that this team made huge strides in DD's first season and guys like Bogo thrived in DD's system the first season.

True asked me on another thread what I thought DD did poorly.  Obviously from TM's comments he didn't communicate very well.  I admit this is a huge problem if not fixed.  In today's pro sports, players want kudos and observations from their coach on a regular basis.  Also I often thought his line construction was creative (but not in a good way).  However, I'm not a practice and don't see how the players interact together.  However, I wish all coaches, Ruff and DD, included showed a little more patience with the lines.  Hard to create chemistry if a line combo plays only one shift together.  

I think DD's system is predicated on 2-3 top end players doing 90% of the work while the rest of team plays the trap. When Jack got injured and Bylsma changed the entire system to be the trap because Eichel was down that was the smoking gun for me. Guy coaches like a loser and everything after that point has helped to confirm that. Is is confirmation bias, perhaps, but the fact is Byslma's supposed system was atrocious for large chunks of the season. Even a decent chef can make a good meal with meat that isn't filet mignon. 

Does anyone believe it would be a viable plan, to allow and expect DD to completely and fundamentally adjust his system? This to me would seem to be folly, and reflect rather poorly on GMTM.

Ultimately though the potential firing of the coach needs to be done in consultation with the ownership, since there is so much term left on the coach's contract and the team has been burning through coaches pretty quickly since Lindy's exit.  There could be good strategic reasons to keep DD even if you're convinced he's not the right coach for this team (just as one could argue that there was strategic value in the Gorges and Moulson contracts).  The team became a joke during The Tank, and showing some level of stability is one way to enhance the team's credibility.

I'm sure that GMTM and TP will discuss the pros and cons of keeping Bylsma, and if they do, what will be the trigger to let him go during the coming season.  Publicly, though, there will be a unified front one way or the other.  We will either hear nothing/get a ringing endorsement of DD, or he will be fired.  There is very little chance you'll hear TP and GMTM publicly disagreeing or debating DD's status.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.