Tim Murray Press Conference 2:00 PM EST

Thwomp!

He did address it though, if not in the way you want; he said he believes the depth is being developed in the Baptistes and Baileys and Ullmarks and the guys coming behind them.

It's just not ready yet, and you can't force that timeline.

Like I said somewhere else, Murray did a marvelous job walking the line on Bylsma.

It's clear his future is not set in stone, it's just not clear why, or which way Murray is leaning.

Most importantly Tim Murray did a good job of demonstrating that he is aware of the issues and not making excuses. He was by no means an ostrich in the sand.

You must work for one of those companies where seniority takes priority over everything else.

Just because​ Eichel is a phenom, doesn't mean he knows what's best for the team, or even himself for that matter.

I didn't have the best relationship with my college coachbthe first few years but when I look back on it, it made me a better player even though it didn't seem that way at the time. Eichel still has to learn a lot.

Just because​ Eichel is a phenom, doesn't mean he knows what's best for the team, or even himself for that matter.

I didn't have the best relationship with my college coachbthe first few years but when I look back on it, it made me a better player even though it didn't seem that way at the time. Eichel still has to learn a lot.

You ain't Jack Eichel.

I think Eichel is the level of star player that can make this sort of request. Yes he is young, but there have been similar situations (mostly in Basketball) where a star like LeBron basically picks his coach.

Murry fails as a GM if his superstar talent is unhappy and wants out ASAP. He will cater to Eichel and the team will be better for it.

You ain't Jack Eichel.

No .

But I was his age once and playing hockey at a high level.

Again just because you're skilled at your craft doesn't make you an expert in evaluating the job somebody else is doing.

Murry fails as a GM if his superstar talent is unhappy and wants out ASAP. He will cater to Eichel and the team will be better for it.

Right if we lose Eichel because he is unhappy then Tim Murray for sure loses his job and doesn't get another one. That is an unforgivable sin.

You don't lose your job by firing Dan effin Byslma.

No ######.

But I was his age once and playing hockey at a high level.

Again just because you're skilled at your craft doesn't make you an expert in evaluating the job somebody else is doing.

You don't know what kind of clout Jack has. From GMTM's comments today, it seems to be quite a lot. Edited by d4rksabre

Flagg, the more I think about DD's system (the NHL version of the NBA fast break), the system GMTM wants (a 4/5 man unit quick moving out of the zone and up the ice) and the roster he created (pump and chase), the more I worry about his ability to build a team at all, let alone around Jack.

Seriously, if you want a fast possession transition team, why did you hire a coach that teaches the fast break? If you want a team that plays fast, why trade for Gorges, sign Moulson and Franson?  If possession is important why did you trade away a D with good possession numbers (Pysyk) for one with mediocre numbers (Kulikov at 4 times the cost) and acquire another D with a huge contract and terrible possession numbers (Bogo)?  Furthermore if you knew your team lacked depth and that your prospects weren't ready, why didn't you do something about it last fall, especially on D?

His blunt honest answers were great, except his answers have solidified my opinion that he is in over his head.

Edited by GASabresFan

Flagg, the more I think about DD's system (the NHL version of the NBA fast break), the system GMTM wants (a 4/5 man unit quick moving out of the zone and up the ice) and the roster he created (pump and chase), the more I worry about his ability to build a team at all, let alone around Jack.

Seriously, if you want a fast possession transition team, why did you hire a coach that teaches the fast break? If you want a team that plays fast, why trade for Gorges, sign Moulson and Franson?  If possession is important why did you trade away a D with good possession numbers (Pysyk) for one with mediocre numbers (Kulikov at 4 times the cost) and acquire another D with a huge contract and terrible possession numbers (Bogo)?  Furthermore if you knew your team lacked depth and that your prospects weren't ready, why didn't you do something about it last fall, especially on D?

His blunt honest answers were great, except his answers have solidified my opinion that he is in over his head.

I agree somewhat. His roster moves are questionable given what his vision seems to be. 

Yeahhh. I haven't heard him mention the Kings model for a few years at least, he's been on the transition/possession train for a bit, but every acquisition up to Kulikov (I think Kulikov can be Daley-lite in the right scheme) like you say does not fit very well. I feel the skepticism you do with Murray - I'm ready to hop on the "fire him now" bandwagon either 

1.) if he keeps Bylsma or

2.) if his offseason doesn't include the type of defensive acquisitions you've been calling for, or if the acquisitions make as much sense as they have been (not much) and we are again not good because of it.

The endearing interview trait no longer matters to me either. Put up and make this team a competitor for home ice next season in this weak division or GTFO. By mid-November we'll have an idea whether or not that is happening.

Look to the cookie, Elaine, look to the cookie.

Blech. I listened to it. I don't think I have it in me to read this entire thread.

It was a whole lot of nothing. Dan's status being left up in the air a tiny bit is weird. Sounds like the Pegulas couldn't be bothered to have a timely meeting with the GM of one of their non-football teams, so the uncertainty has to be there until Murray can sit them down and explain things. Tim probably didn't want to get out front of the owners.

Hut-one, hut-two.

Yeahhh. I haven't heard him mention the Kings model for a few years at least, he's been on the transition/possession train for a bit, but every acquisition up to Kulikov (I think Kulikov can be Daley-lite in the right scheme) like you say does not fit very well. I feel the skepticism you do with Murray - I'm ready to hop on the "fire him now" bandwagon either 

1.) if he keeps Bylsma or

2.) if his offseason doesn't include the type of defensive acquisitions you've been calling for, or if the acquisitions make as much sense as they have been (not much) and we are again not good because of it.

The endearing interview trait no longer matters to me either. Put up and make this team a competitor for home ice next season in this weak division or GTFO. By mid-November we'll have an idea whether or not that is happening.

For two years!

Here are some summaries.

My takes from the presser:

*Murray's going to do everything he can to sign Jack long term

*Would not surprise me Jack is captain next year

*Murray will 'directly or indirectly' be choosing the captain

*DD may not be safe after all

*Organization has extremely high hopes for both Guhle and Baptiste

*Don't be surprised if more emphasis is put on guys with playoff experience when considering trades/signings

*Must upgrade the D

*I'm really afraid of Okposo's illness.  Are we talking something life threatening?  Just speculation but things like cancer or ALS or some other very serious illness keep popping into my head based on reactions whenever someone brings it up.

Sounds like they were given a lot of rope in terms the non-technical aspects of being a Sabre and not a lot of psychological coaching or rigid off-ice structure. And the response was to mope, or second guess or take advantage.

Quotes:

* Players need to be explained things in very black and white terms

* coaches need to spend less time worrying about the other team

* coaches need to spend more time getting to know the player

* coaches and Murray need to be more demanding

Smells like Murray thinks it is too much of a country club in that beautiful dressing room.And this. Murray made it pretty clear he is going to be more of a demanding tone-setter and expects it to be reflected right through the hierarchy.

I listened to the conference and then popped on here to read through comments. My thoughts:

• People are definitely reading into GMTM's comments with personal biases: If you think DD stays, you heard it that way. If you think he's getting fired, you heard it that way. However, I do think there were a couple of things that bothered GMTM about DD:
  • He doesn't like all the prep work that the coaches do regarding other teams and wants them to focus on this team.
  • The comments about everything being black and white: I think this reflects that GMTM had to get involved because the players were expressing confusion. I think there is evidence of inconsistent punishment, and making everything black and white removes all the grey. I think some of that black and white is players not buying into the system because they don't know what they're supposed to do when a player like Jack isn't held to the same standard -- he gets a pass on mistakes and turnovers, IMO.

• Regarding Jack being captain. I don't think Murray meant he will make the decision of who's captain. I think his response was referred to it is up to him in regards to whether they bring Gionta back. Three or four questions were lumped into one... IIRC -- REPORTER: Gionta had a good year -- would you want to bring him back and would he be captain again. Or maybe that's not your decision. GMTM RESPONSE: (As I recall it) It is my decision. He did play well and we'd love to have him back for a one year contract if the terms are right.
  • Players not being happy. Maybe I missed something but it sounded like he was referring to players being unhappy because they missed the playoffs. He said whether you're a playoff team or not, you'll always have people unhappy. He made a specific comment about the players, and said I don't see them away from here, and so if they're unhappy, I don't see it. Kinda of weird: He seemed to dismiss the general negative attitude some people have, and summed it up by saying he wasn't away of any "cancers" in the room. On a different line of question, he said if people are more accountable, you can ask more of them. Sounds like that's why they were making it black and white.
  • It does sound like Peterson is not going to sign here. He said he talks to him everyday. Hmmm, wouldn't you know more than? And what do you say to someone everyday?
  • Antipin response was strange: "I think he is still playing."  Wouldn't you know with certainty when he season is over if you were looking to get him under contract?

I just listened to the replay on WGR and a couple of things stood out to me

1) DD is almost certainly going to be the coach unless Terry says otherwise. However he and his staff will need to focus on player coaching and not system coaching; focusing on getting players into roles that fit their skills. This should make Flagg happier. More individual structure and less system structure. Also less game planning. If you are in the dump DD camp, I thought the comment that the players didn't pay attention was very telling.

2) GMTM acknowledging that he didn't get the right players to run his fast paced puck possession/transition offense, especially the defense and fixing the D is the top priority. I take this to mean that Kulikov and Franson are gone and so could be Bogo and Gorges. Nice of him to bring up Kulikov's one good game and admit it was a bad trade. Also I like that he said the roster forced us to play more dump and chase then he wanted.

3) Feels certain prospects will contribute next season - Guhle, Baptiste and Ullmark head the with a chance for Nelson and Nylander.

4) Locker-room leadership sucked and certain vet leader will be replaced with vets with Cup experience.

5) GMTM acknowledged the team didn't have adequate depth, but no one asked him why.

6) This is Jack's team and his input is important, but not controlling.

Bottomline is that there is going to be big turnover this summer.

If Jack Eichel told Murray point blank he wants Bylsma gone, should Murray make Bylsma gone?

This is simple. I would give Jack exactly 10 minutes to try to convince this should be so. I would want concrete examples and solid reasoning. If he cannot successfully and concisely articulate what the problems are, then he should close the door on the discussion and promise to revisit it next season.

Edited by kas23

Some thoughts and notes..

1) GMTM looked extremely nervous right before he took the podium.

2) He just got finished with the exit interviews.

3) On the topic of DB He stated "I haven't had any thoughts of firing him up until this point".

What a freaking mess this is, I don't think he knows what he is doing at all. I think he is in over his head.

3) On the topic of DB He stated "I haven't had any thoughts of firing him up until this point".

What a freaking mess this is, I don't think he knows what he is doing at all. I think he is in over his head.

Criticize his performance all you want but drawing conclusions from a media session seems a bit misguided

I would be nervous with tanking and underperforming with your superstar

Regarding the leadership thing, Schopp just said something interesting. He said that in a conversation with Lindy, socially, not on the air, Lindy was talking about a team from the early 2000's who had Gilmour and a couple other older guys who were leaders, but not in their prime. Basically said "If your leaders are not important players the team its tough for them to lead, because they can't do it by example."

Guys like Gio and Gorges and Moulson once were better players, and therefore better leaders because they could show guys what to do. I don't think he's saying that skill is the same as leadership, especially since Lindy was captain once himself and certainly not a skilled player, but that its easier to follow someone who doesn't just KNOW how to do stuff, but can still do it too. Just an interesting tidbit.

I think this is an important point, and I think it's one that has been discussed around these parts before. More specifically, I think having veteran leaders who can't play are a big part of the reason there's a locker room rift between young and old, and subsequently, why the leaders can't get everyone to buy what Bylsma is selling. It's not necessarily that the young kids are a collection of egotistical nitwits, but that Josh Gorges is one of the guys telling them to do what the coach wants. I don't think the guy who can't complete a 10 foot pass is the guy you want going to bat for the coach if the younger and much more talented kids aren't inherently buying in. Now I'm sure that drives some people crazy, and they feel Gorges should be respected for his time served in the league...but I think that's just not the way it works.

I also think this ties into what Lehner said about guys earning their ice time. The younger players see some of the old guard keep getting ice regardless of how poorly they play, then subsequently themselves get cut back for every single mistake, even if their overall contribution is greater. Stack this onto paragraph #1, and these are the types of things that lose the coach the room and drive division amongst the players themselves. The youngins will be like "Well of course you are with coach, he keeps giving you the same playing time no matter what." It's not workable.

Now, maybe Bylsma doles out ice time because he's more forgiving of those who simply can't do better. That's not an unreasonable thing to do. But he's either oblivious to how this looks to some in his room, or he hasn't communicated properly his decisions (he might even think it's so patently obvious as to not need communication). I think this is connected to what Murray said about players wanting clarity and more black/white. I doubt that was only related to meeting times and punishment for tardiness--I think there's a clear relationship between that particular complaint and things like punishment for bad turnovers. If Gorges lost a shift for every turnover, he'd literally miss 50% of his shifts. I don't mean to single out Gorges, but he's the one who came out by far strongest in support of Bylsma when speaking with the media.

A huge part of coaching is psychological, and I think it's pretty indisputable right now that Bylsma has failed on that front. The good news for you (four?) Bylsma supporters, is that this is the sort of thing that can potentially be corrected. I have zero hope that Bylsma adapts his tactical and strategic coaching methods, but this stuff is fixable. Regardless of where you stand on his system, if he stays, we all better hope he corrects his errors on this front.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.