Tim Murray Press Conference 2:00 PM EST

Thwomp!

the best system is one that only asks that players do what is within their abilities and talent level...obviously ever player is different and needs to be treated and coached as such...Danny\s system is looking for all players to play the same defensive style game and it obviously did not work in Pittsburg and did not and will not work here

Here's the one takeaway that I care about after reading all the comments.

Dan Bylsma does not build relationships with players.  There is no fixing that.  There's no off-season course he can attend to become be that guy.  If the GM says you need to spend more time with your players and you didn't already feel compelled to do so it's not going to change just because he said it.

After hearing that it puts earlier player comments in perspective.

"Systems don't matter."  - Gionta - We took as him supporting the coach. Can you now read it as him saying, Bylsma, STFU about your system and listen to the guys.

"It's not the coach, it's the players." - Because the coach is nowhere to be found.

Why did Murray address the room not too long ago?  Because Bylsma couldn't do it or wouldn't do it and it was necessary.

Murray also commented about not spending enough time scouting.  That would indicate he was busy overseeing his coach/player relations. Clearly he wants a coach he can rely upon and it sounds like Bylsma is not that guy.

All of this tells me that Murray is going to sit down with Pegula and recommend that Bylsma be let go.

Um.  Did we know he was that kind of garbage going into it?  I didn't.

There were signs... many people in Buffalo thought Rex was a good hire too. We were desperate and willing to believe that a coach with a winning record and SC ring would be our savior. We too easily dismissed why he was fired by Pittsburgh and how he completely failed USA hockey in Sochi.

The Leafs and the Oilers landed the two best coaches in 2015. I would love to have McLellan. He proved he was a good coach in SJ and he's doing it again in Ed. Having McD helps but he's a great coach.

truth is I live north of Toronto and trust me Leaf fans were ready to run Kardi, JVR, Gardiner (especially) and any other Leaf right out of town and they constantly complained about the team and the players to no end...the big thing now is they have a coach who is getting the most out of each player and letting them do whatever it is they do well. asking players to do things they just ain't capable of is just poor coaching and shoving a defensive type system down their throat is the sure way to failure and exposing players weaknesses by asking them to do things they can't do. I still think the talent is here...just need to put it to better use and in the right circumstances...

Good post, I think you're spot on with this comparison.

Dan Bylsma does not build relationships with players.  There is no fixing that.  There's no off-season course he can attend to become be that guy.  If the GM says you need to spend more time with your players and you didn't already feel compelled to do so it's not going to change just because he said it.

"Systems don't matter."  - Gionta - We took as him supporting the coach. Can you now read it as him saying, Bylsma, STFU about your system and listen to the guys.

"It's not the coach, it's the players." - Because the coach is nowhere to be found.

Why did Murray address the room not too long ago?  Because Bylsma couldn't do it or wouldn't do it and it was necessary.

Murray also commented about not spending enough time scouting.  That would indicate he was busy overseeing his coach/player relations. Clearly he wants a coach he can rely upon and it sounds like Bylsma is not that guy.

All of this tells me that Murray is going to sit down with Pegula and recommend that Bylsma be let go.

This is extremely coherent. What board did I wander onto?

Dan Bylsma does not build relationships with players. There is no fixing that. There's no off-season course he can attend to become be that guy. If the GM says you need to spend more time with your players and you didn't already feel compelled to do so it's not going to change just because he said it.

"Systems don't matter." - Gionta - We took as him supporting the coach. Can you now read it as him saying, Bylsma, STFU about your system and listen to the guys.

Why did Murray address the room not too long ago? Because Bylsma couldn't do it or wouldn't do it and it was necessary.

Murray also commented about not spending enough time scouting. That would indicate he was busy overseeing his coach/player relations. Clearly he wants a coach he can rely upon and it sounds like Bylsma is not that guy.

I do believe that you fully supported Blysma and sided with other posters that players needed to be held more responsible.

It appears you have had a change of heart.

There is plenty of food in the bunker but the booze is running low. Sorry about the latter.

????

How can an ex player (a marginal one at that) not see the value in building relationships with his players?  I could see someone who never played professionally (e.g. Hitchcock, Bowman) doing that, but....  Oh wait, they both have cups.  I'm not sure what my point is anymore.

I bet DD can't pee when someone stands next to him.

Potential reasons he hasn't built a relationship with the players:

1. He thinks that being their friend weakens his ability to effectively manage (which is reasonable).

2. He thinks he knows what is best and doesn't value their input.

3. He doesn't like confrontation and therefore avoids it

4. He is clueless and didn't realize this is an issue (most probably and scariest)

I'm sure there are more.

Edited by Beer

I do believe that you fully supported Blysma and sided with other posters that players needed to be held more responsible.

It appears you have had a change of heart.

There is plenty of food in the bunker but the booze is running low. Sorry about the latter.

You are correct.  At one point the information coming out of the room seemed to indicate that the players were split. I still think that there is some issue there as well.  However, Murray was quite pointed in his comments and knowing that makes you wonder about some of the other player comments that were made.

I look at it this way.  The coach is not building relationships and helping pull the team together.  However, this does not excuse the players from not attempting to get more cohesive in what they are doing either.  There were still comments from players that specifically called out others not being on the same page, not as committed, etc.

Right now its clear to me that Bylsma needs to leave. At the same time I think some players are in the same situation.

I do have faith that Murray will make the moves.  I think he's going to be real creative with Las Vegas in offloading 2-3 players to them to open up roster space and potentially pull in a top pick or another player that is exposed on another roster.

OK -- I've now listened to the presser in its entirety.

I think it's better than 50/50 that DDB gets canned this week after GMTM meets with TP.

It sounded to me like there was too much criticism -- on fundamental matters -- directed at DDB for GMTM not to have decided that he wants to get rid of him.

This might be new-poll-worthy.

What it comes down to and the thing more should be concerned about is that its TPegs call. Murray needs to talk to TP sure I get that but Murray will not be making the call. Thats a problem just like TP scouting quarterbacks is a problem.

I'm not down with Pegula scouting QBs, but I doubt Murray wants to throw ~$10M down the drain without talking to the owner first.

What it comes down to and the thing more should be concerned about is that its TPegs call. Murray needs to talk to TP sure I get that but Murray will not be making the call. Thats a problem just like TP scouting quarterbacks is a problem.

He's the owner. He owns the team! It belongs to him. Like the earth itself, it is Pegula's. He has every right to do whatever he wants with it. He has EARNED it. So has Kim.

what I got from the press conference was that Danny ain't going nowhere but that GMTM is going to try and change his approach and to make him change his system and allow each player to do whatever it is they do best ala Mike Babcock. GMTM isn't stupid and I think even he can see that Blysma's system is completely outdated and with the new NHL a defensive-style system where every player plays the same is just way outdated. mayve 5 years ago but not now...I think we will see Blysma back for th4e start but hopefully will see big changes on his approach, otherwise he may be gone before next Christmas...

what I got from the press conference was that Danny ain't going nowhere but that GMTM is going to try and change his approach and to make him change his system and allow each player to do whatever it is they do best ala Mike Babcock. GMTM isn't stupid and I think even he can see that Blysma's system is completely outdated and with the new NHL a defensive-style system where every player plays the same is just way outdated. mayve 5 years ago but not now...I think we will see Blysma back for th4e start but hopefully will see big changes on his approach, otherwise he may be gone before next Christmas...

Does anyone believe it would be a viable plan, to allow and expect DD to completely and fundamentally adjust his system? This to me would seem to be folly, and reflect rather poorly on GMTM.

Here's a fun scenario: Tim wanted to fire Dan at one point or another during the season, but Terry vetoed the move. "Let's talk about it after the season." Tim has told himself if he can't fire Bylsma now, he'll quit or make Terry fire him or however that works (the fans will never know, of course; NDA). Hence: "If I'm back."

Edited by PASabreFan

Everyone says DD didn't adjust his system to the crappy players he had.  That simply isn't true.  Yes his system is the NHL version of the fast brake, but he played trap early in the season and then to mostly a dump and chase mode with Jack being allowed the freedom to skate the puck up when ever he choose.  Last I looked that isn't a fast break.  GMTM admitted he gave DD a dump and chase roster in the press conference, despite knowing DD's system.

I think DD is perfectly capable of changing his system to fit his players and will do so if required by TM and by circumstance.  Let's not forget that DD won the Jack Adams the year in Pit when he lost Sid and Malkin for much of the season.  He adjusted there and kept on winning and deserved the award.  Let's also not forget that this team made huge strides in DD's first season and guys like Bogo thrived in DD's system the first season.

True asked me on another thread what I thought DD did poorly.  Obviously from TM's comments he didn't communicate very well.  I admit this is a huge problem if not fixed.  In today's pro sports, players want kudos and observations from their coach on a regular basis.  Also I often thought his line construction was creative (but not in a good way).  However, I'm not a practice and don't see how the players interact together.  However, I wish all coaches, Ruff and DD, included showed a little more patience with the lines.  Hard to create chemistry if a line combo plays only one shift together.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.