The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Who still leaves voicemail messages FFS? I'm certain there are exceptions but at least 95% of the time, a text or email is easier and more convenient for everyone involved. Having to call my GD voicemail, go through 17 prompts, enter a pin number just to have you say you called is infuriating. I know you called. I have a little red number on my phone icon indicating you did so. Enough already!!

Who still leaves voicemail messages FFS? I'm certain there are exceptions but at least 95% of the time, a text or email is easier and more convenient for everyone involved. Having to call my GD voicemail, go through 17 prompts, enter a pin number just to have you say you called is ###### infuriating. I know you called. I have a little red number on my phone icon indicating you did so. Enough already!!

Take it you don't have VVM? Lets you have all (up to ~40) your recent voicemails available on your phone just by scrolling. For something like $2/month, it'll even give you a reasonable transcript of the messages so you can check them while in another meeting. Well worth the $2.

Who still leaves voicemail messages FFS? I'm certain there are exceptions but at least 95% of the time, a text or email is easier and more convenient for everyone involved. Having to call my GD voicemail, go through 17 prompts, enter a pin number just to have you say you called is ###### infuriating. I know you called. I have a little red number on my phone icon indicating you did so. Enough already!!

What the hell phone and provider do you have that it takes 17 prompts and a PIN to hear a VM?

What the hell phone and provider do you have that it takes 17 prompts and a PIN to hear a VM?

I'd thought there would be more anti VM sentiment but yall are just perpetrating the movement. Next you'll be bestowing the virtues of snail mail.

I'd thought there would be more anti VM sentiment but yall are just perpetrating the movement. Next you'll be bestowing the virtues of snail mail.

I need to swipe, touch, touch on my phone to delete the VM that my mom leaves. Takes under 4 seconds. Then I call her back and ask what she wanted.

No. We just wait until Thirsday to bitch.

:lol:

Jk. I actually have no problem with VM.

Edited by SwampD

I don’t mind a VM. It doesn’t feel like the sort of thing that needs acknowledgement. My phone transcribes as best as it can so I can get a rough idea what was needed. I can then respond with a call back or text. Whichever involves the least overall effort. I end up with so many numbers on a site that unless they’re important, I don’t bother with contact info. I VM screen calls. If you don’t leave one then too bad for you.

If on the rare occasion it’s a personal contact, I agree with Ink. That shits annoying.

I'm going through the process of registering a homemade trailer for a kayak.  The process itself is only minorly annoying.  The DMV clerk's "positive" attitude is the worst of it, really.

Part of the process is that the trailer needs to be weighed on a certified scale.  The only certified scale in my county happens to be at a tremendously busy truck stop.  This evening I drove the trailer up to the truck stop to get it weighed.  Busy truck stop.  Evening as it is getting dark.  Bad tactical decision. 

Wow, was that ever intimidating.  Huge trucks pulling in and out as darkness is settling in, and me and my little trailer is right in their way while I am staging for the scale, and hooking back up afterward.

Next time I ever do that, it'll be on a nice, quiet Sunday morning.

I don’t mind a VM.

It's when the call comes in that my blood pressure goes up.  If someone in my family calls me versus sending a text, my mind assumes that something is very wrong.  It isn't always, sometimes it's just "what's for dinner" kind of stuff, but when the ringtone goes off, my mind assumes the worst.  Maybe part of the problem is my ringtone... too urgent?

Insomnia strikes. So.  In the very first ever episode of Cheers, about halfway in, there's a woman at a table.  She's in a wheelchair.  

How did they get the wheelchair down the stairs?

The elevator in the back hall by the rest rooms.

Insomnia strikes. So.  In the very first ever episode of Cheers, about halfway in, there's a woman at a table.  She's in a wheelchair.  

Carla probably choked Cliff out and then they used his unconscious body as a handicapped ramp.

Take it you don't have VVM? Lets you have all (up to ~40) your recent voicemails available on your phone just by scrolling. For something like $2/month, it'll even give you a reasonable transcript of the messages so you can check them while in another meeting. Well worth the $2.

Or you could just use Google Voice for $0 :)

I hate to bring this up, but did nfreeman ever respond to dark's request for a political subforum? Even if to just say hell no get bent pal?

It's not freeman's call.  It's SDS's.  I'm sure he's mulling it over.  He cares a lot about this board, and I know that from personal experience (e.g., he bought the first round of beers after the game at the last meet up).

Edited by Eleven

We're one of the states that only has one license plate on cars.  Every so often I'll see novelty plates on the front that are mocked up to look just like another state's, and then they'll have some message like "I RULE" or something on them.  These must be illegal, right?  They are essentially exact copies of the other state's plate, with maybe a slightly different color.  The one I saw today was the old NY plate with the statue of liberty on it, so I can see how they can get away with that one.  There can't be any active plates left with that design.  But others, I've seen exact copies of current plates.

On a side note, I can't believe that NC actually accepted the novelty plate "LADY BONR".

Michigan only required rear plates.  I liked that.  Texas kind of requires two plates, but some people claim you only need one.  Apparently the law is a little vague and some communities enforce it more vigorously than others.

Edited by Doohickie

Two-person carry; I assume you've never had a sleeping toddler in a stroller; I'm well practiced. :)

Michigan only required rear plates.  I liked that.  Texas kind of requires two plates, but some people claim you only need one.  Apparently the law is a little vague and some communities enforce it more vigorously than others.

The single plate rule sucks when you have a car you bought in a two plate state.  You either put something on the front or else the screws look awkward.  We bought the wife's car here, so there aren't any holes cut through the front bumper.  I don't even want to think of the opposite scenario, going from one plate to two.

Two-person carry; I assume you've never had a sleeping toddler in a stroller; I'm well practiced. :)

Just push and hope for the best?

The single plate rule sucks when you have a car you bought in a two plate state.  You either put something on the front or else the screws look awkward.  We bought the wife's car here, so there aren't any holes cut through the front bumper.  I don't even want to think of the opposite scenario, going from one plate to two.

Just push and hope for the best?

Yep.

Plate data dump:

My Subaru doesn't have any sort of bracket for the front plate. There are two little dimples in the bumper where the screws for the bracket go.

My friend had an Altima that the dealer gave her the flimsy plastic bracket when she bought the car.

I'm trying to remember what I did with my old car; I think I had the Maryland tag on the front and the PA one on the back for awhile, but took that off and put maybe a Sabres plate on the front? Or that one didn't have a bracket but just the holes so I left it as-is. I considered taking a sheet metal plate and using it for bumper stickers.