The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

So I'm setting up a volunteer mission to Uganda at then end of July, there is a clinic there that no one has been to, no docs, and they have no meds or supplies....I'm going with a group of teachers and mission folk and I really want to spearhead this clinic.... This is rather new territory for me, I am looking for leads/info/donations/etc.... Anything that will help me get this thing off the ground. I know there aren't a ton of medical people here, but does anyone have any connections, ill need antibiotics, wound care supplies, ace wraps pain killers (otc) nothing controlled. Etc in as large supple as possible that we can carry. I was thinking of another go fund me like I did for Ecuador, but I am going to hold off on that for a bit.

Thanks in advance

When you do set up a GoFundMe, please let us know. 

So, I'm old and stuff happens.

I somehow (no idea how) bruised a rib(s).  Not going to our idiot doctor, but the Mayo Clinic tells me this.

Can't be comfortable in bed, so can't sleep.  Went to bed at midnight and woke up at 2:30 AM.  Managed to drift off and on until 4:00 AM.  Tossed and turned until 5:30 AM and here I am ... at my remote work station in our kitchen drinking strong Turkish coffee, which actually helps ease the pain, well it's not really painful, more annoyingly uncomfortable.

7:00 AM in Halifax and prayed Fajr (dawn prayers) on time and not having to go back to sleep after starting the daily fast.

Now what ... ?????

You say you're off observing Ramadan, but thanks to this alleged broken rib, I'm thinking your annual extended vacation from the board is something completely different.  What have you really been doing?

We have a program we use to summarize continuous data that is named "cont".  It's a fun one to try to pronounce in front of a room full of people without getting a call from HR.

I've heard the "licker" data visualization software suite works really well for that.

Got my raise, 15% increase. Seems good. Is that good?

As a guy who lives in the corporate brainwash that raises should be 3-4%, a 15% increase is ballin'.

Agreed. I only managed that one year in the middle of the dotcom boom; I got a "please don't leave" raise, a "well, we're paying new hires more than you so we'll bump you up" raise, and a normal rock-star performance raise. Never saw anything close to that again.

Edited by MattPie

As a guy who lives in the corporate brainwash that raises should be 3-4%, a 15% increase is ballin'.

Agreed. I only managed that one year in the middle of the dotcom boom; I got a "please don't leave" raise, a "well, we're paying new hires more than you so we'll bump you up" raise, and a normal rock-star performance raise. Never saw anything close to that again.

Beauty, I'll take it! I think nationally I'm still a little underpaid, but with another 3-5% increase for my end of the year, I'll be at the number I wanted to at this point when I took the job, so I'm happy :beer:

When you do set up a GoFundMe, please let us know. 

https://www.gofundme.com/uganda-support

This is the link to the Gofundme for my trip to Uganda next month, I am currently in the process of stocking quinine, antibiotics, HIV medications, wound care supplies, as well as trying to gather some supplies for the children (Soccer balls, matching jerseys, etc) These are extremely generous people and I am very excited to spearhead this clinic.  My goal is to get enough supplies to stock the shelter and allow health care access to some of the locals I will train while down there.   Any help is greatly appreciated in this cause.

This is the link to the Gofundme for my trip to Uganda next month, I am currently in the process of stocking quinine, antibiotics, HIV medications, wound care supplies, as well as trying to gather some supplies for the children (Soccer balls, matching jerseys, etc) These are extremely generous people and I am very excited to spearhead this clinic.  My goal is to get enough supplies to stock the shelter and allow health care access to some of the locals I will train while down there.   Any help is greatly appreciated in this cause.

Thank you.

This is the link to the Gofundme for my trip to Uganda next month, I am currently in the process of stocking quinine, antibiotics, HIV medications, wound care supplies, as well as trying to gather some supplies for the children (Soccer balls, matching jerseys, etc) These are extremely generous people and I am very excited to spearhead this clinic. My goal is to get enough supplies to stock the shelter and allow health care access to some of the locals I will train while down there. Any help is greatly appreciated in this cause.

Do you need straight cash or are item donations for such things like the soccer balls and jerseys welcome?

Do you need straight cash or are item donations for such things like the soccer balls and jerseys welcome?

I will take anything that can help, there is a pharmacy in Uganda that has very cheap tailored medications for infectious disease in the major city, Entebbe, so I'm bringing wound care supplies with me, and some stuff from the hospital, but I'm helping the economy by trying to purchase a majority of the meds there. I can only. Pack 2 check in bags of stuff with me, but I'll Take any physical donations/cash donation, not picky :)

I will take anything that can help, there is a pharmacy in Uganda that has very cheap tailored medications for infectious disease in the major city, Entebbe, so I'm bringing wound care supplies with me, and some stuff from the hospital, but I'm helping the economy by trying to purchase a majority of the meds there. I can only. Pack 2 check in bags of stuff with me, but I'll Take any physical donations/cash donation, not picky :)

If you could choose exactly what you wanted, tell me what you would want with the soccer jerseys. I assume you want matching jerseys so that children can form teams? Give me your ideal scenario.

I don’t need the exact jerseys, but colors, number of jerseys in each color, sizes, etc.