The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Got another shirt design for 26shirts out! Where the Wild Things Are, Bills style. Check it out if you're so inclined.

https://www.26shirts.com/wild-rumpus.html

In other news, I didn't even realize until later in the weekend, but the people I was set up with at Nickel City Con are legit industry legends. I've never been a big superhero comic fan- more of an indie comic person- but the co-creator of Bane was chilling with us all weekend, and the current artist of Black Panther liked my Okoye painting apparently. Bunch of other current Marvel artists/writers were there as well- may lead to some interesting gigs for me down the road. Nice people for the most part.

Was next to Guy Gilchrist all weekend- he's one of the creators of the Muppets/former good friend of Jim Henson, and has done the Nancy comic strip for 22 years. Weird dude, but nice. Kept giving us food and stories. 

But holy sh!t does doing a con drain you. I'd heard friends talk about post-con-depression but man, it's a real thing. Just constant noise/artificial light/subtle to intense human interaction... ugh. You find a quiet place afterwards and just shut down. I'd sit in my car in the cool, quiet parking garage after each day for 20 minutes just staring into space and groaning. 

p1DeVxt.jpg

t8dW9n1.jpg

Edited by josie

Got another shirt design for 26shirts out! Where the Wild Things Are, Bills style. Check it out if you're so inclined.

https://www.26shirts.com/wild-rumpus.html

In other news, I didn't even realize until later in the weekend, but the people I was set up with at Nickel City Con are legit industry legends. I've never been a big superhero comic fan- more of an indie comic person- but the co-creator of Bane was chilling with us all weekend, and the current artist of Black Panther liked my Okoye painting apparently. Bunch of other current Marvel artists/writers were there as well- may lead to some interesting gigs for me down the road. Nice people for the most part.

Was next to Guy Gilchrist all weekend- he's one of the creators of the Muppets/former good friend of Jim Henson, and has done the Nancy comic strip for 22 years. Weird dude, but nice. Kept giving us food and stories.

But holy sh!t does doing a con drain you. I'd heard friends talk about post-con-depression but man, it's a real thing. Just constant noise/artificial light/subtle to intense human interaction... ugh. You find a quiet place afterwards and just shut down. I'd sit in my car in the cool, quiet parking garage after each day for 20 minutes just staring into space and groaning.

Do you get $$$ per shirt or do they just pay you a standard rate for the artwork?

Do you get $$$ per shirt or do they just pay you a standard rate for the artwork?

I get a dollar per shirt sale. Which means I usually make like... 20 bucks total for like 6 hours of work (and my lowest rate is $25/hr). But sometimes it really works out- the tailgating shirt netted me a real good sum. It was admittedly really frustrating when I didn't have a steady job/paycheck- that's a lot of time/money to miss out on. 

I get a dollar per shirt sale. Which means I usually make like... 20 bucks total for like 6 hours of work (and my lowest rate is $25/hr). But sometimes it really works out- the tailgating shirt netted me a real good sum. It was admittedly really frustrating when I didn't have a steady job/paycheck- that's a lot of time/money to miss out on.

You got a buck from me then :)

Does that ever get you in trouble when you're drawing someone else's character?  I've always wondered how that works with this stuff.

But anyway, I'm guessing people will want to you add a flaming table behind the zubaz guy.

I've been trying to stay away from alcohol lately.  Physically I've been a bit of a trainwreck lately so I'm trying to clean up a few things.  Of course, right after I decide to do this, I run into a series of days of insanity where I really need a drink.  I envy your day drinking right now.

Congrats.  It's not commonly known (I don't think?) but alcohol consumption has been linked to several forms of cancer: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/well/live/cancer-doctors-cite-risks-of-drinking-alcohol.html

Does that ever get you in trouble when you're drawing someone else's character?  I've always wondered how that works with this stuff.

But anyway, I'm guessing people will want to you add a flaming table behind the zubaz guy.

It absolutely could- but none of those are exactly Sendak's characters. Just closely inspired. I have clients who request exact replicas of various licensed characters with a slight twist on them, and I usually counsel them to do something a bit more different. My main client likes to do this a lot, and he's gotten a cease & desist from the Simpsons before as a result. 

I wonder about it too- we're technically not allowed to use any bills/sabres logos or even exact colors. The one that always bugged me was the "This Is Fine" design that sold hundreds upon hundreds and made that designer a boatload of money- it's a sliiight change of KC Green's original, not a lot of re-drawing. 

But yeah, for this one, that's what they wanted, so that's what I drew. The only design I've ever done for them that was 100% my idea was the Teddy Roosevelt riding a buffalo one. 

I looked at the Shirt Archive.  Some of those are depressing.... BYLSMAFIA?  Abysmal.

Yeahhh they hop on whatever's current, only goes for 4 days to 2 weeks, gone with the wind after that. New design every 2 weeks. 

It absolutely could- but none of those are exactly Sendak's characters. Just closely inspired. I have clients who request exact replicas of various licensed characters with a slight twist on them, and I usually counsel them to do something a bit more different. My main client likes to do this a lot, and he's gotten a cease & desist from the Simpsons before as a result. 

I wonder about it too- we're technically not allowed to use any bills/sabres logos or even exact colors. The one that always bugged me was the "This Is Fine" design that sold hundreds upon hundreds and made that designer a boatload of money- it's a sliiight change of KC Green's original, not a lot of re-drawing. 

But yeah, for this one, that's what they wanted, so that's what I drew. The only design I've ever done for them that was 100% my idea was the Teddy Roosevelt riding a buffalo one. 

At least the color one seems nice and easy to work around.  You've got more than a few shades of blue to work with.

I'm guessing your Okoye was based off of Danai Gurira?

At least the color one seems nice and easy to work around.  You've got more than a few shades of blue to work with.

I'm guessing your Okoye was based off of Danai Gurira?

Yeah, I don't really worry about the color thing as much. Just means I don't go and search out the exact hex code of the official Bills/Sabres logo colors and just use what works with whatever shirt color it's going to be on.

Yep- figures, the one thing I paint for fun on a Sunday afternoon is one of my better sellers. 

Mh8banw.png

I will admit the thought occurred to me. :)

Nice work, Josie!

I will admit the thought occurred to me. :)

Nice work, Josie!

Every single Bills related design I've done for them has had at least 15 people suggest it haha

I think it annoys Del to no end- he wants to keep it a bit more family friendly by not nodding to the drunken shenanigans we've garnered so much attention for- for better or worse. 

Every single Bills related design I've done for them has had at least 15 people suggest it haha

I think it annoys Del to no end- he wants to keep it a bit more family friendly by not nodding to the drunken shenanigans we've garnered so much attention for- for better or worse. 

It would be such a natural fit here since it looks like he's falling backwards.  I think you should make the adult version of the shirt and have the background littered with a bunch of passed out canadians.

If I walk into an establishment and I have to ask if you are in line, you are doing it wrong.

This happens way too often.

I've learned that people are stupid and incapable of being able to critically think, whether the big or the small these days. I just love when peeps come to a halt in the middle of said walkway, no peek over the shoulder, whatever they are doing is soooooo important that they can't move over and be courteous.

Also yesterday a friend and I played some Frisbee golf at chestnut ridge, etiquette is That if you're smoking weed in a group of 5, you let the 2 people play through while you sit there and brag about how good at hockey your fat @sses are. Not wait until we walk up to the tee and then proceed to cut and take your sweet ass time, this happen twice on the front 9.

Damn Inky, you got me going

I've learned that people are stupid and incapable of being able to critically think, whether the big or the small these days. I just love when peeps come to a halt in the middle of said walkway, no peek over the shoulder, whatever they are doing is soooooo important that they can't move over and be courteous.

Also yesterday a friend and I played some Frisbee golf at chestnut ridge, etiquette is That if you're smoking weed in a group of 5, you let the 2 people play through while you sit there and brag about how good at hockey your fat @sses are. Not wait until we walk up to the tee and then proceed to cut and take your sweet ass time, this happen twice on the front 9.

Damn Inky, you got me going

Yo that's some BS. You gotta let people play through.

The courses around here get pretty busy and I don't like it. I checked out Angry Apple at Darien Lake State Park last week and fell in love. I don't think I'm ever going to play anywhere else.

Yo that's some BS. You gotta let people play through.

The courses around here get pretty busy and I don't like it. I checked out Angry Apple at Darien Lake State Park last week and fell in love. I don't think I'm ever going to play anywhere else.

Angry apple?! Now I'm Intrigued.... I like emery as it's tough, long and not super busy, Como is good, but other than that, I just find tons of hipsters. We should throw sometime!

Angry apple?! Now I'm Intrigued.... I like emery as it's tough, long and not super busy, Como is good, but other than that, I just find tons of hipsters. We should throw sometime!

I'm down. I've been playing since college but I'm not good :lol:

Emery is good too. Nice for a hot day since it's mostly wooded.

Como Park is just too busy and I always skip the water traps because I hate losing discs, so it kinda abbreviates the course.

I've been trying to get out once a week at least. It's my summer mandate. I'm trying to get better at distance driving.

I'm down. I've been playing since college but I'm not good :lol:

Emery is good too. Nice for a hot day since it's mostly wooded.

Como Park is just too busy and I always skip the water traps because I hate losing discs, so it kinda abbreviates the course.

I've been trying to get out once a week at least. It's my summer mandate. I'm trying to get better at distance driving.

I have a weird throw, I kinda throw low and towards the ground and usually it stays low and somewhat accurate. But it's all 50/50 Im sure you're just as good as I, I'm no pro.

Shoot me a PM and we can try and meet up, I need some frolf buddies!

Chase wants me to activate my 5% cash back this quarter for grocery stores. Grocery stores including Publix, Trader Joe's, Safeway and other magic places that exist nowhere near me. Not including Walmart or Target. Not that I'd ever use my credit card on groceries, or buy groceries for that matter, but thanks for nothing, Chase.